Leading a Vacation- Walt Disney World Strategy

Comments

• AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    Angeline said:
    The great thing about staying in the park is that you park your car and then you don't need it again until you leave.
    Park your car?

Fly into Orlando. Disney Magical Express straight to resort, luggage delivered directly to your room, go to park and begin enjoying. 
    LOL ok good point. I lived in Florida when I went.
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
  • TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    edited May 2015
    @Angeline said:
    Angeline said:
    The great thing about staying in the park is that you park your car and then you don't need it again until you leave.
    Park your car?

Fly into Orlando. Disney Magical Express straight to resort, luggage delivered directly to your room, go to park and begin enjoying. 
    LOL ok good point. I lived in Florida when I went.
    ...And if you fly into Sanford vs. MCO - bummer DME won't get you.  Awesome - there's car services aplenty who will fetch you in a fancy ride (extended Town Car, Limo), carry your bags, drop you at your door (they're allowed on property), kiss your ass, and bring you back to the airport.  And far cheaper than a rental. 
    "Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
    AngelineShepard
  • BetaTesterBetaTester MichiganSilver Member Posts: 404
    We recently went to Disney.  My wife relishes the organizing and planning of such days.  If I were to take over too much she would be somewhat upset.  Plus she is much better at it as I am clueless about the parks and all the Disney entertainment.   However during the visit I enthusiastically participated in all the activities including a lunch with all the Disney Princesses.  The German beer garden at Epcot was great.  The one DHV activity I did was I paid the bill.  I wonder if anyone noticed? 
  • Mark72Mark72 OhioSilver Member Posts: 2,007
    MiddleMan said:
    @Mark72, in his 911 thread, said: "If I am missing something, PLEASE let me know because I really have deer-in-headlights going on right now."

Mark, let's get a handle on the situation. It sounds like your wife has done some extensive planning of her own and you don't know how best to contribute. Let's start with the basics:

When will you be going and for how long?
    How many adults and how many kids (and their ages) will be going?
    Where will you be staying?

I dont check all my notifications... I should do that from now on.
    We are taking our daughter, 8, and our two sons, 6 and 1.75.
    We leave May 28th and coming back June 4th. We are staying at POR. First day there we have dinner reservations at Trex. 3 days MK, 1 day AK, and 1 day Universal.
    We have magic bracelets. Mine is green. I am driving. She hates to ride, but agreed to take dramamine so I could drive. That's a win for me.

Hier stehe ich. Ich kann nicht Anders tun. Gott hilfe mir. Amen. - Martin Luther
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't. - Pascal

My journey

• MiddleManMiddleMan Chicago BurbsSilver Member Posts: 1,898
    All right! Looks like we'll overlap a little; we're going June 2-8.

I've heard good things about POR; that looks like a fun place to stay. 

Are you guys doing the dining plan?
    edited May 2015
    @Mark72   The break is an excellent idea,  esp. With smaller kiddos.  The pool break is mandatory. 

Room have a full kitchen?  Kitchenette?  Fridge/microwave? 

KattMiddleManCarrotcake
    Fridge, no kitchenette. That part sucks. I think a microwave would be nice though

Hier stehe ich. Ich kann nicht Anders tun. Gott hilfe mir. Amen. - Martin Luther
    In faith there is enough light for those who want to believe and enough shadows to blind those who don't. - Pascal

My journey

My journey

MiddleMan
    Our Magic Bands arrived in the mail today. It's getting real up in here....
    TenneeAthol_Kay[Deleted User]Angeline
    @Mark72, you mentioned that your wife gets motion sickness. Does that make you the Designated Ride Parent while she holds your youngest? 

For the rides you all want to ride (but your youngest is too small to ride), Disney has a ride hand-off procedure. Be sure you read up on that. 

When you're at Animal Kingdom, make sure you see "Flights of Wonder." It's a live bird show with some pretty awesome trained animals. That will be good for everyone in your family. 
    AngelineWinter
    MiddleMan said:
    Our Magic Bands arrived in the mail today. It's getting real up in here....

Maybe a beer is in order at WDW.

My journey

MiddleManAngeline[Deleted User]
    MiddleMan said:
    @Mark72, you mentioned that your wife gets motion sickness. Does that make you the Designated Ride Parent while she holds your youngest? 

For the rides you all want to ride (but your youngest is too small to ride), Disney has a ride hand-off procedure. Be sure you read up on that. 

When you're at Animal Kingdom, make sure you see "Flights of Wonder." It's a live bird show with some pretty awesome trained animals. That will be good for everyone in your family. 

She is the ride person. I am actively overcoming anxiety to the Gforce sensation that coasters give.
    I started on the smaller coasters and am working my way up.

My journey

@Mark72 Ok, small fridge, no freezer.  So you're eating out all meals - I know the plans are expensive,  but paying cash on property will be worse, and going off property frequently will really chew up time.  You can add a plan before you arrive.  You'll have to balance convenience and expense.  

Bring lots of snacks, bottled water, drinks, etc.   Big cooler to keep drinks in.  

MiddleMan
    Mark72 said: 

She is the ride person. I am actively overcoming anxiety to the Gforce sensation that coasters give.
    I started on the smaller coasters and am working my way up.
    Sounds like Space Mountain would be a bad choice for you. But Big Thunder Mountain Railroad isn't too intense. I haven't been on the new 7 Dwarves Mine Train coaster, but everything I've read suggests that it's a tamer coaster, too. Expedition Everest (at AK) is awesome, but it's probably the most intense one you'll encounter at MK/AK. (I've never been to Universal; I'm told that the rides there are way more intense than at WDW.)

I'm assuming your wife has made all the FastPass reservations already. Even so, you should know that you can use the My Disney Experience app to change them if needed. And once you use your three pre-reserved FastPasses, you can get an additional one from the kiosks in the park. (And you can do that as many times as you want, provided there are time slots remaining for the rides you want). Get familiar with those rules and the kiosk locations.
    AngelineTennee
    edited May 2015
    @MiddleMan   You can now change/add FPs from the WDW app!!!  Kiosk-schmeosk!  Interweb app FTW!    Also, Everest rocks (Kiddo wouldn't ride it)  Mine Train is a fun coaster for small/medium kids, mine dug it.  Splash Mtn. & Big Thunder RR are great coasters.  My 8 y.o. had a blast on both.  Space Mtn lines were nuts so we skipped (not worth the time investment or burning a FP to me, YMMV)

@katt totally agree - his trick will be dealing with the size limits of the standard 'cube' hotel fridge (they always keep em at the highest - e.g. warmest- setting.  Adjust immediately if you intend to actually keep perishables cool).  This may mean multiple runs, which will eat time - every time.   I'd expect at least 1+ hr minimum for each run (get to car, drive off property,  park, shop, reverse) and that's if you don't dally.    I wouldn't stay on property without at least the minimum plan, especially without at least a kitchenette and full fridge,  because to me, I'm sacrificing way too much time.  That's me, YMMV.  

@Mark72 ;  The iced down cooler may become your best buddy on this trip for various reasons. 

Angeline
This discussion has been closed.