Job Hunting PM Group?

HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
Moderators, if this is not a good use of the PM system, feel free to remove this thread.

I know there are several of us looking for new jobs.  And there are several people here who work in the employment field or otherwise know a lot about job hunting.

I thought we might start a private message group where we can encourage each other and share strategies.

The advantage of a PM group is that, since PMs aren't searchable or open to the public, we can be a little less anonymous, post resumes/cover letters for critique, etc.

If you're interested, and it's cool with the mods, post here and I'll start the group/add you.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
[Deleted User]

Comments

• RebornReborn LondonGold Men Posts: 2,987
    I'd be happy to join in
    Enneagram type 5 w6. 
    If I offer lots of advice, it's probably really me giving advice to myself. That always seems to happen. 
  • SaigoTakamoriSaigoTakamori FLSilver Member Posts: 3,075
    As would I.
    Sweat More...bitch less
    Fate favors the prepared.
  • Athol_KayAthol_Kay My Underground LairPosts: 8,046
    edited May 2015

It's your call what you do with PMs @HildaCorners. I really don't care what people PM about, until something is happening in PM that requires moderation.

Typical reasons for that being, (1) complaints of harassment, (2) marriages failing because of awful cherry picked advice in PM, (3) EA's and PA's. All of which were happening with disappointing frequency.

If you can somehow avoid all that in a job search discussion... it would be appreciated.

One Hour Call   12-Week Guided MAP

"The turnaround is tremendous.  And I'm lifting weights, eating better, and tackling projects.  I have all this great energy without a vampire sucking my life force.  :)  He's a lot stronger standing on his own two feet, as well."  - Scarlet

SaigoTakamori[Deleted User]HildaCorners
  • RicoRico ArribaSilver Member Posts: 1,284
    The_Dude said:
    EA's and PA's?  Man, I gotta up my forum game. 
    No kidding - all this action happening in PMs and I'm not getting a piece of it!
    AngelineTenneeBettermanShepard
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    I don't want to know the details ... cheating via a marriage improvement forum? Ick.

@Athol, I'll be careful to follow your guidelines.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    RedPillLearning
  • RicoRico ArribaSilver Member Posts: 1,284
    Seriously, I'd be interested as well. In the job hunting group.  Not the PM EAs :expressionless: 
    AngelineShepard
  • BettermanBetterman United KingdomSilver Member Posts: 659
    @Athol_Kay just.... Wow!  I had no idea.  Care to spill any identities?  I can imagine a certain recently banned user doing this :)
    ENTJ, 8w7
    Don't wish she were different, wish you were better.
    Tennee
  • SaigoTakamoriSaigoTakamori FLSilver Member Posts: 3,075
    .....And that folks is why I don't get to have MIND BULLETS!.....
    Sweat More...bitch less
    Fate favors the prepared.
    [Deleted User]AngelineShepardJohn3
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    Chief_TC said:
    So, are we doing the job hunting PM or aren't we?
    We are.

Do you want in?

• TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    @Elise said:
    @Tennee don't try to pretend it wasn't you ...  :p
    I would never do anything that juvenile and stupid, c'mon....

...I used the Burj Khalifa....
    "Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
    Angeline[Deleted User]HildaCornersShepard
  • DarKeyesDarKeyes Silver Member Posts: 660
    I would be interested in joining the job search group
  • EANxEANx Local GroupSilver Member Posts: 509
    Not looking for work but as a hiring manager, happy to provide suggestions.
    AngelineHildaCorners[Deleted User]
  • georgegeorge Silver Member Posts: 1,514
    I do some hiring too, and interview training.  Not sure any of it is relevant - I'm in academia - but happy to help if it is.  Just page me here; sorry, I don't usually do PMs.  PS - yes, I know, @george doesn't ooze confidence and expertise.  My avatar is an offline TV signal, after all. And yes I did just refer to my online self in the third person, which is probably some type of internet disorder. But rest assurred any job advice I have is likely to be far better than MAPing advice I have.  I've seen hundreds of resumes and candidate files, maybe more.  Best luck, all. 
    edited May 2015
    @george, I love your avatar!

My dad was a mid-20th century electronics geek. His post WW2 job was repairing cutting edge technology — black and white televisions, and in the early 1960s, he and my mom built a Heathkit color TV. Test patterns bring back fond memories.

I've actually applied for university staff jobs, so I might have questions for you.