Job Hunting PM Group?

2»

Comments

• forestleafforestleaf At the farmGold Women Posts: 1,703
    @HildaCorners I'm a little behind, but I'm interested in this group.  Are you all going to use this or another thread, or do the PM thing?
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    @forestleaf, it's in a PM so we can talk a bit more freely. I'll sign you up.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
  • EmilyEmily Los AngelesSilver Member Posts: 98
    I'm getting a promotion and would love some advice. Can I join? @HildaCorners ;
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    Sure!

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
  • BenBen Silver Member Posts: 3,651
    Crossposted from my thread over in Singles, but I just got a job offer that I'm inclined to take and I'm trying to think of everything I need to discuss with them before formally accepting.  The pay is amenable (I highballed when they asked me, they counteroffered about 10-15% lower, which is still around 15-20% higher than I'm making now), the culture seems good (my sister works there, which is why they recruited me, on her recommendation), the work is up my alley (you know what I've never heard before that I heard at my interview there? "Oh, you've got an English degree, awesome!"), the location is good.  Full 40 with bennies (health / dental / retirement).

What else do I need to cover?  So far I'm thinking schedule (are they strictly 8-5, or is there flexibility if I want to take a class one day a week and make up the hours other days?), paid holidays / vacation, and start date (want to give my existing job two weeks' notice, which is standard, but they would probably benefit from a little more to make the transition smoother).

Is there anything I'm missing?

---

In the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.
    Sounds good!

For negotiation's sake, ask how soon the bennies kick in, and if they can move that earlier.

Do you need special equipment for the job? Ask what they have, and if it isn't the best, you can negotiate for an upgrade.

Would you be moving for this job? If so, who'll pay moving expeses?

• The_DudeThe_Dude Hollywood Star LanesGold Men Posts: 4,583
    I don't see the upside to asking about the flex time issue unless you are really weighing it in the decision to accept or actually think it's negotiable. 
    I have a new job hunting question.

Does anyone know a way to speed up producing cover letters?

For each job I apply to, I write a cover letter/message that points to how I meet the requirements of that job. I reuse a few paragraphs (on relocation, asking for an interview, etc), but most of the letter is written custom for each ad.

Not only does this take a long time, but it needs a lot of emotional investment. After 2-3 applications, I'm worn out.

How do other job-hunters deal with this? Am I overdoing things? What should I be writing in order to get a call back or an interview?

• EANxEANx Local GroupSilver Member Posts: 509
    edited July 2015
    As a hiring manager, I look for that emotional investment. If I sense that someone is simply copy & pasting then they better be spectacular else they're going to miss out. I'm not saying this applies to you but the last thing I want to do is hire someone that will half-ass it and what else am I supposed to rely on?
    HildaCorners[Deleted User]
    I don't just copy and paste ... I make sure I mention the company, and also make sure I cover the job requirements. I make sure the letter conveys that I understand what they want.

But there are only so many ways to write "I am planning to relocate, am free to travel to interviews, yada yada." Or "My LinkedIn profile is at <URL> and my portfolio is at <URL>. These are my boilerplate sections.

If I truly half-assed my cover letters, they'd take 5 minutes and I wouldn't be asking how to spend less time writing them.

I must have found the magic formula, because today I applied to 5 jobs, and got a callback from one already (a staffing agency).

AngelineBeatrice[Deleted User]
    Has anyone seen this recruiting method? I've had it happen a few times.

I get a call from someone with a heavy Indian accent ... they have my resume and want to present me to a company. In one case, the job was 500 miles away (not a place I want to relocate). In another, the job was a local 3 month contract ... I never heard from them again.

The latest, just yesterday was for a job in the local big city, a bit of a stretch for my skills (but do-able), and they seemed to think my very high salary expectation was fine. It was clear the recruiter had no knowledge of my city, very little knowledge of my field. He wanted my birthdate (month and day, not year) which I gave him, and the last digits of my Social Security number and street address, which I did not.

Is this a common practice these days? Do these guys actually end up placing anyone? Should I blow them off the next time one of them calls?

• frillyfunfrillyfun East PodunkGold Women Posts: 3,386
    That sounds like a phishing attempt...with your name, address, email, and last 4 of your social security they can pretty much get the keys to the castle.
    AngelineBlackwulf
    Which is why I refuse to give SSN to anyone, except as part of my "we need your tax info so we can pay you" information.

• EANxEANx Local GroupSilver Member Posts: 509
    It could be a phishing attempt, it could also simply be cultural cluelessness on the part of a recruiter that isn't in N America. A number of years back, I had bought a laptop and it had some trouble. When I called, I got an Indian call center. Things went well enough (I know how to guide those interactions) until they wanted my passport info. After I demanded to speak to an American supervisor, it turns out that's just the way they do things there and that the person I was dealing with needed that piece of cultural cluefulness.

You don't know how someone you don't know, who has little understanding of the culture, will present you. Be really careful, not just with your personal info but to whom you're trusting your professional reputation.
    AngelineHildaCorners