Let's go sailing

MOTUMOTU TexasSilver Member Posts: 35
so my GF's father is an avid sailor and took her sailing the English Channel as a graduation trip from HS. I mentioned early on that I wanted to learn to sail and a few weeks later she bought us a groupon for an "Intro To Sailing" that really turned out to be a pleasure cruise. But I got the bug and decided I wanted to take the ASA 101-104 classes so I could charter bareboats.

Our first lesson (101) was last weekend. It was a two day course, each day half in the classroom and half on the water. It was GF my youngest also took the class so they could learn to crew. I booked a private lesson so GF could bring her kids.

Ahead of time, I studied the books so I would be ready. I also watched YouTube videos and talked to friends who could sail.

On day 2 on the water it was so windy we didn't even put the main up. We were skirting a small thunderstorm and my daughter was at the helm and got too far into a run and we caught a back wind that heeled the boat pretty badly, enough that our captain (in his late 60's) fell and I had to catch GF's youngest by the back of the life jacket to keep her out of the drink. I calmly took the helm, started the motor,  instructed my daughter to get the kids below, had GF release the jib and steered the boat back into the wind while Cappy got up and looked on with a big grin on his face.

Result: I got a 100% on the written exam AND the seamanship test.

Am I just bragging? Maybe. But I got to DHV in several ways:
- I learned something new, something that GF admired.
- I did what I said I was going to do. It had been 8mos since our first sail when I booked this lesson. I think GF was surprised.
- I worked hard and was prepared, so my success seemed effortless. She had no idea how much I studied.
- I calmly took control when needed.

I don't think it has to be something as big as a weekend sailing lesson to get the same value boost. It could be painting a room, learning a new dance step or installing a garbage disposal: always be improving; do what you say you are gonna do; work hard so it looks easy; be calmly in control when things don't go as planned.
AngelinePatienceNeverSleptOnTheCouchSignorePillolaRossaEliseWinterJellyBeanJohn3[Deleted User]AlphaZulual2682not_again

Comments

• John3John3 SeattleSilver Member Posts: 1,396
    Way to go @MOTU.  Some people are wired in a way that when things go bad, they just respond and take control and put everything back on track.  Sounds like you are naturally that guy.
    The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.