The hair down there

amblrgirlamblrgirl ATXSilver Member Posts: 1,328
My dermatologist is offering 30% off all laser hair removal packages purchased this month. Hubby has given me the okay to drop some cash for underarm and bikini. I have to call tomorrow to book it if I want the deal, and I have to tell them if I want bikini only or full brazillian. 

I was going to just get bikini and then keep the rest trimmed short, but hubby has expressed an interest in brazillian with a landing strip only. I'm open to that since he likes the idea of it (and trimming 1-2 times a week is annoying), but I'm a little nervous about - 1) the pain. I hear the brazillian can be a lot more painful than a bikini. 2) what if it looks weird in 30 years and I wish I had a bit more hair to hide things sagging?

Any thoughts/experiences to share?
amblrgirltx@gmail.com
Fitocracy: atxchick

Enneagram 6w5, married to a 5

Comments

• frillyfunfrillyfun East PodunkGold Women Posts: 3,386
    Are you really going to miss taint hair?   
    If you're nervous- maybe ask them to leave more up top in case "trends" change or you need to hide something???

There's a chance they might have numbing cream, or something like Dermaplast novocain spray (you can pick some up at a drugstore, and use it before the procedure.
    TenneeamblrgirlRebuildingHusbandJellyBean
  • BeatriceBeatrice USAGold Women Posts: 1,175
    Very often pubic hair thins out as you age, so there might not be much coverage there later on anyway.  I wouldn't worry about it.
    We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.  -Joseph Campbell
    Purple
  • The_DudeThe_Dude Hollywood Star LanesGold Men Posts: 4,583
    I'm no expert but in my (wife's) experience it isn't completely permanent.  Maybe an individual thing but I'm not sure you have to worry about it being a lifelong decision. Maybe some other ladies can comment here. 
    JellyBeanHannelore
  • amblrgirlamblrgirl ATXSilver Member Posts: 1,328
    edited May 2015
    frillyfun said:
    Are you really going to miss taint hair?   

This made me laugh! You're right, I will not miss it one bit.

Hubby re-iterated his preference by cutting out a tiny paper triangle and holding it up to me to demonstrate the "hairstyle" he prefers. So, I'm getting a brazilian with what basically looks like a little arrow pointing down to the goodies. Seems a bit forward to me, but if he's into it, I'm game!
    amblrgirltx@gmail.com

TenneefrillyfunNeverSleptOnTheCouch
  • Tiger_LilyTiger_Lily Silver Member Posts: 772
    One slight con I've read about is that there may be some correlation with yeast infections, possibly because without hair things tend to get a bit more sweaty down there.
    Angeline
  • KattKatt USASilver Member Posts: 4,554
    Good luck!

I am bare (strong preference for my H)  but shave - the wax scares me.   If it hurts on my eyebrows... LOL.  Anyway let us (me) know about the pain factor / if it's irritated after because I suppose it would be a lower maintenance way to keep hair free.   

I havent found any negatives to not having hair there.   

• amblrgirlamblrgirl ATXSilver Member Posts: 1,328
    Angeline said:
    Do I have it right that you've never shaved bare (or whatever style you're planning on getting lasered)? Even though the grow out period can be miserable, I'd recommend it before you go through all that pain and expense to make sure you both actually like the look.
    I keep a very close trim and do shave the outlying areas. But that hair is thick so that even after a fresh shave, the hair follicles are still visible and dark. And the skin is very sensitive. I've tried everything under the sun to deal with the razor bumps and ingrown hairs and nothing has ever worked really well. So between the dark hair follicles and sensitive skin, I've avoided a full shave in the area. 

Hubby feels confident he will like the look. And he's really excited about the smoothness for oral. I googled pictures and it seems fine, but I will have to shave in preparation for the laser treatment, so I guess if I hate the look then, I'll tell them to do something different at the appointment.
    amblrgirltx@gmail.com

• frillyfunfrillyfun East PodunkGold Women Posts: 3,386
    I get the best results when I shave with hair conditioner instead of shaving cream- it softens things up nicely, and I think I get fewer ingrowns.   I also follow-up with some sort of salicylic acid product- like Stridex pads to keep the pores open so the hair can grow out rather than getting trapped in.  A few aspirins dissolved in water can have the same effect.  It stings for a minute, but after that there's a pretty good anti-inflammatory effect.
    AngelineamblrgirlEliseMrsJon
  • CowboyCowboy In the South, USASilver Member Posts: 1,994
    amblrgirl said:

I googled pictures and it seems fine, but I will have to shave in preparation for the laser treatment, so I guess if I hate the look then, I'll tell them to do something different at the appointment.
    Really?  Someone had her lady regions lazered, took pictures, and posted them on the World Wide Web? I guess I shouldn't be surprised; you really can find anything out there.

Please tell me you didn't look at them at work.
    "Men were designed to hunt mammoth. You need to go find your mammoth." --Serenity
    Purple
  • DireWolfDireWolf USASilver Member Posts: 112
    edited June 2015
    I know, just my opinion, but I like a little variation, I may like her bare/smooth for a while, but then ask her to do a landing strip after a few months, or even grow most of it in after a few months, it probably changes 2-3 times per year.  I am not sure what your hubby is like but I would probably prefer she didn't do anything permanent, I think the changes can add a little excitement.  :smile: 
    SaigoTakamori[Deleted User]
  • MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323
    I prefer sugaring to waxing; it's not  as painful and the result is even more smooth.
    Never fear, neither waxing or sugaring is permanent after the first couple of times. You need to have it done every 6 months for quite some time in order for hair to stop regrowing. If you don't like the look there's no damage done.

I am not so fond of shaving, because I don't like the sensation of touch on even the finest of stubble in my bikini area (like chalk on a blackboard, huh); but that may be just me.

_____________________________________________________________________________
    If you want us to be unapologetically feminine, be unapologetically masculine.
    WinterLazyAlpha
  • OneEyedDrunkOneEyedDrunk Out West Silver Member Posts: 1,808
    My wife shaves hers smooth for me. Love it! 
    oneeyeddrunk.weebly.com
    TrumanUnBetaMe
  • LadyOrTheTygerLadyOrTheTyger EarthSilver Member Posts: 892
    What's the bottom line cost for this?
  • JellyBeanJellyBean Sunny SoCalGold Women Posts: 5,054
    Costco has a home laser hair removal device for $130, online and in warehouse. It isn't truly a laser, it is "Intense Pulsed Light."
    Enneagram type 9w1