Non-violent Communication

codename_duchesscodename_duchess AustraliaSilver Member Posts: 222
Just found this series of videos on Youtube -
 on non-violent communication. It seems to be breaking down problems into your base need and feeling and then expressing that. It's a 3 hour video (and there are others in the series) but it seems genuinely useful in helping to communicate.

frillyfun

Comments

• AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    3 HOURS?
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    [Deleted User]RebuildingHusbandWheelManPurple
  • stillasamountainstillasamountain CT, USASilver Member Posts: 521
    edited June 2015
    While the term "non-violent" seems a little... baggage ridden to me, it could very well be a good model for constructive communication.

On a less serious note, the only thing I can think of when I see a middle aged man using sock puppets is the classic episode from Scrubs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBGAnOzzrdI

“She was 3/4 perfection and 1/4 broken glass.”

AngelineKattShepard
  • codename_duchesscodename_duchess AustraliaSilver Member Posts: 222
    There's a free ebook/audiobook and workbook aimed at 8-12 year olds to explain the concepts and would be a simple introduction if 3 hours is too long to sit through the video. The books are available from http://www.giraffejuice.com/books.php. To get the workbook you need to give your email address.

• Frank_LondonFrank_London in transitSilver Member Posts: 1,853
    edited July 2015
    I'm sure it's great but I am cynical about this topic.
    I believe that violent people cannot be talked out of being violent. On the other hand, it looks like it's aimed at kids, and it can't hurt at all to give an anti-violence message to kids.
  • codename_duchesscodename_duchess AustraliaSilver Member Posts: 222
    It's not about violence. The creator of this calls our usual interactions violent because there is a winner and a loser in the transaction e.g. "Do your homework or be grounded" as opposed to "When you do leave the kitchen messy I feel disturbed. I need you to tidy up after yourself".
  • RebornReborn LondonGold Men Posts: 2,987
    Yeah, it's nothing to do with literal violence.

I am a big fan of Marshall Rosenberg;s work.

I was a bit put off by the "giraffe ears" / sock puppets / soppy guitar playing
    ... until I learned he had successfully mediated between various warring groups 
    after atrocities had been committed.  That takes some balls. 

If you hear him actually working with people in the recordings, then despite the
    "soft" demeanour he can be unstoppable in getting to what's behind the things people say
    Enneagram type 5 w6. 
    If I offer lots of advice, it's probably really me giving advice to myself. That always seems to happen.