Here's $1200, go pick out a fridge. DHV or DLV?

MOTUMOTU TexasSilver Member Posts: 35
I want time upgrade the fridge in the kitchen. We have a Sears outlet close by where you can get great deals.

My first thought was to hand Fiance $1,200 and send her to the outlet to pick out what she wants. She should be able to do pretty well for that. We are both pretty frugal.

Then I thought, why not go myself and by something nice and just tell her when it's  being delivered. She'll have no idea what I paid for it or that it came from an outlet.

Thoughts?

Comments

• RebuildingHusbandRebuildingHusband Southern USASilver Member Posts: 1,953
    I'm the kitchen king at my house so, for me, picking out the fridge is important. My W wouldn't care all that much. Much like @SallyMander , who will use it more? That's the one who should care more about the specific features. 
    give a shit and try, or go be miserable by yourself - AlphaBelle
    AngelineTennee
  • MOTUMOTU TexasSilver Member Posts: 35
    Ok, thanks all - together it is.

And as for use, cooking together is one of our favorite activities. So that makes the most senese.

SallyManderfrillyfunKatt
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    Definitely together.

And if you are living together, sharing a budget is important.

Btw, I'm the type of 5w4 who will do extensive research, figure out use patters, look at reliability reports, consider which color will work best with the kitchen ... make my decision and refuse to buy because it's not on sale.

I'd need a partner with me to say "Buy it. You know this one's the best, and we have the money."

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    forestleaf
  • nubbynubby Right HereSilver Member Posts: 1,964
    edited July 2015
    When I build kitchens for people I always ask who does the majority if the cooking. That is the person who knows how they would like things layed out for cooking, baking and socializing. 
    I did one kitchen a few years back and suggested removing a wall. The wife, that does the cooking was all for it. The husband, not so much, in the end, the wall came out, a large kitchen island went in and I've been called back to do jobs every year..... By the husband. He now cooks as much as his wife. 
    Any large household purchase should be a collaborative effort and sometimes compromises have to be made, but at least the choice won't be unilateral. 
  • FrizFriz FloridaSilver Member Posts: 633
    We  both love to cook and use the kitchen equally. A few weeks ago, my wife decided tht we "needed" a new fridge because ours is 10 years old. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. Financially, it's not an issue, so I told her, "If you really want a new fridge, go for it."
    It was delivered today and she is happy.
    John3Elise
  • JohnnyLionseedJohnnyLionseed ChantillyMember Posts: 10
    Its a mix. Giving her a price is beta. "Here's $1,200" says, 'I'm an ATM! Use me as such!', right? But being flippant about a high priced item displays huge status. So drop the first half, and just do the second.

"Whatever, go pick out a new fridge."
  • Athol_KayAthol_Kay My Underground LairPosts: 8,046

Buying the fridge is a nice nesting experience and easy Relationship Comfort points.  I'd take her out and shop for one together. Final a final decision on one, then bounce to a second location for a continuance of the date.

One Hour Call   12-Week Guided MAP

"The turnaround is tremendous.  And I'm lifting weights, eating better, and tackling projects.  I have all this great energy without a vampire sucking my life force.  :)  He's a lot stronger standing on his own two feet, as well."  - Scarlet

MariaJellyBeanTennee
  • seriouslyseriously The mittenSilver Member Posts: 1,134
    Like others said, go together.  You should have dimensions, connections (RO water for example), and any other specs required.

... and pay with cash, ripping the bills off your bank roll with gusto and flair!
    JellyBean
  • Husband3point0Husband3point0 Gold Men Posts: 3,294
    seriously said:
    ... and pay with cash, ripping the bills off your bank roll with gusto and flair!
    I hope you're kidding. 

Put it on a credit card which gets you airline miles or hotel points and use them to book a getaway trip with her instead. 
    [Deleted User]TenneeWinter
  • RebuildingHusbandRebuildingHusband Southern USASilver Member Posts: 1,953
    seriously said:
    I hope you're kidding. 

Put it on a credit card which gets you airline miles or hotel points and use them to book a getaway trip with her instead. 
    Balance. Athol speaks of the cash whoretex.  Having cash on hand, especially a chunk like that, just does something. Some women will appreciate the forethought of getting those points while others get moist from that baller cash wad. It all depends on what woman you're with. 
    give a shit and try, or go be miserable by yourself - AlphaBelle
    [Deleted User]seriouslyJohnnyLionseed
  • fordsvtfordsvt Canada Eh!Silver Member Posts: 2,300
    Go and lead. Help pick it out and get some features you want. 
    Sending her with the CC is a DLV

Into Phase 3..

Those Who Dare......Win.   "What gives you fear today...Gives you Strength tomorrow.."

Tennee