Being a good parent?

forestleafforestleaf At the farmGold Women Posts: 1,703

I have to admit I am really struggling with parenting. 

I’ve worked really hard MAPing for the past couple months and am doing really great overall.  My health/weight are at a good place and improving day by day.  I feel like my marriage is stronger than ever.  I’ve cut out the negativity and manipulation with my H.  I’ve done a ton of projects around the house.  I’m soon starting a new job that is a major step up as well as a pay increase for me.  I’m doing a lot of soul searching, and some of my friends have commented on my appearance and say I’m “glowing.”  I feel like a stronger person.

However, I can’t seem to find those good positive feelings with my kids.  My three kids (ages 9, 6, 2) are overall good kids.  I find dealing with them to be a huge challenge.  I feel like I can’t stop negativity when it comes to them, although I’ve done a great job cutting it out in relation to my H.  I feel like every single little thing they do is a test.  I feel like I spend most of my time with them yelling or criticizing.  It’s little things, like asking them to brush teeth in the morning, or get dressed, or make sure they drink their milk, or asking them to not eat snacks before a meal, or stop wrestling because someone will get hurt, or yelling because someone did get hurt, or getting them to stop doing flips on the couch before something/someone gets knocked over, or could they please pick up their dirty laundry on the floor, etc.  Of course this is life, and this is parenting, but why can’t I find anything positive?  This isn’t nice Mommy asking politely; generally it’s yelling Mommy because I’ve repeated it so many times (I try to not repeat and enforce consequences for not listening, but…).  My H and I are working on this all the time, and he constantly reminds me to not lose my frame with them but I lose it constantly.  Why can I now maintain it with him when we argue but not with the kids?

My neurotic tendencies include control issues as well as I am a major germophobe (this came about when my newborn son got viral meningitis at 8 days of age from a regular cold virus).  If the kids are out and someone touches a doorknob and puts their fingers in their mouth I go completely insane (I don’t worry about dirt outside, just germs from other kids).  I maintain my own sanity by keeping a very tidy and mostly clean house.  So when the kids make messes or come inside and tromp mud everywhere, again, I lose my shit.  And of course being a control freak means that if my children refuse to listen (about everything and anything) then I freak out.  I understand theoretically that I can’t control them.  But I guess my issues are subconscious?  Some Reds are easy to stop.  Others are deep-seated, like control issues, I think.  How does one just STOP worrying about maintaining control?

Spending time with them: I have to admit I almost avoid it, perhaps because of my introversion.  I work very VERY hard to make sure they have what they need.  I am a super-organized mom.  We never miss appointments; we’re never late for school; they have everything they need.  But when it comes time to just sit down with them and hang out, that’s just not me.  I will read to them at night.  But my kids seem to want to spend all day just by my side.  I DO love my kids.  But the older they get, the more challenging they seem to get and the harder it is to deal with them.  When they were all babies they were basically easy to snuggle, to kiss, to nurse, and to love on.  Now that they’re bigger, their needs are different and complex, and often vary from my plans for them.  Next week I start my full-time job (I was part time before).  I have NO idea how this will all go.  I don’t know if I’ll be a better or worse mom if I’m working that much.  I feel like I suck right now.  :(

EliseMagnumquanyin

Comments

• soa2005soa2005 United statesSilver Member Posts: 631
    My wife is the primary caregiver and a lot of what you wrote is very similar to the things she often complains about.

The biggest improvement I've noticed came about after she implemented a chore chart. Basically it's a decorative chart that hangs in our kitchen and is updated daily with chores next to each child's name. We've found that if we start the day out with order our kids generally behave better. They know they are to be showered, teeth brushed, and chores completed by a set time (9am since its summer vacation). If they complete the task they get a star and a certain amount of stars equal a small gift or a fun event as a family. If they don't complete the chore they get a star taken away. 

The chore chart isn't a cure all but I've noticed a difference in their daily behavior since we've implemented it. 
    UnBetaMeWintertelyniPurple
  • forestleafforestleaf At the farmGold Women Posts: 1,703
    Thanks for all the insightful comments.  @Frank_London, yours is an interesting view of control.  Of course children need some control.  But everytime I see one of them I immediately make some sort of comment about what they should be doing, or asking them if they did something they were supposed to, or why didn't they do whatever.  I feel like a nag, a constant critic.  You know that 5:1 ratio we are supposed to keep of positive to negative interactions in relationships?  I think mine is a 1:5 ratio, and I think about that all the time.  I don't think my kids should run free as you suggest, but I strongly think they DO need control, and I spend every waking minute with them enforcing that.  And it just seems wrong. 

It seems like my H and I both are constantly trying to find ways to enforce boundaries MORE, and the more we push on that, the more the kids push back.  I do wonder if we are pushing in the wrong direction. 

I have friends who spend so much time with their children doing fun things and crafts and coming and going to activities, and they see so happy and so enjoying of each other's company.  That's not me at all.  Everyone always tells me to give myself a break, and that being a parent isn't being a friend.  I don't want to be their best friend, but I do think they need to get some positive interaction from me.
    Angeline said:
    Decide to be the adult, not just the biggest, loudest human in the room. 

What am I teaching?
    What are they hearing? 
    How will they remember this?
    How will they remember me?

The easiest response is yelling. It takes effort and more creativity than you ever thought you were capable of to come up with appropriate, effective discipline (Note I said discipline vs. punishments).
    @Angeline, this question about how will they remember me is something I actually think about regularly.  Somehow this thought fails to change my actions.  I still instinctually yell when my son knocks something over or my toddler pulls open a bottle of perfume to dump on the floor or my eldest hits my son.  I think it surprises my H how quickly I escalate my anger with them. 

I love the chore chart idea and I've done it before.  Admittedly it became a hassle and just more work so I stopped doing it, but I can reconsider it and try to make it easier.

Winter
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    My comment wasn't intended as a chore chart, but as a resetting of how you see infractions - some serioys, some not so much, and modulating your response. But you have to really think about the various behaviors to do that. An overall framework will hopefully have you reacting with less knee jerk and more thought.
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    forestleafCrashaxe
  • Tiger_LilyTiger_Lily Silver Member Posts: 772
    edited July 2015
    No answers besides everyone else's very good ones, but this resonates.  Mine are older (13, 11 & 9), and discipline and good habits were, to an extent, casualties of our marital troubles.  It's somewhat better now but not ideal, especially with the youngest.  We get through each day the best we can using a combination of picking our battles, not crying over spilled milk, and trying to actively infuse positivity every way we can. (And yes, occasionally slipping and yelling.). And hoping that, by the grace of God, they will grow up OK.  Maybe not as great as they might have been had we been better parents, but OK.
    Winter
  • beribbonedberibboned caMember Posts: 359
    Yes relax. I have it easier with one two year old wild child and a part time job with pre K kids but i think you should give pretend play more of a shot. There's so much fun to be had and you will see your children shine in pretend play.
    You mentioned in your intro you shut down your imaginings as a teen. You must have a powerful imagination if you felt the need to lock it up. If you have not let your imagination loose for yourself you might have a harder time letting it loose for your children.
    frillyfun
  • forestleafforestleaf At the farmGold Women Posts: 1,703
    Athol_Kay said:

Right now the biggest negative influence in the situation is you. It's not going to be possible to discipline the kids effectively, until you can start disciplining yourself. The one doing the disciplining, always needs to be more self-disciplined than the ones they are trying to instill self-discipline into.

The thing to do right now, is focus on not erupting with anger over every little thing. Don't even bother trying to enforce boundaries with your negative attention, it's only making it worse.

In terms of your husband, you have to understand that as an Enneagram 9, you being expressively angry is enormously stressful and/or anxiety inducing. Faced with you being angry, I believe he less frequently has a verbal fight with you about it, but rather more frequently just withdraws / avoids / ignores you like a 9. Which of course the kids perceive as your anger being essentially impotent rage that can be safely ignored. Mom has a loud bark, but zero bite, so just jump on the sofa until she gives us cookies.

I'd discount doing a chore chart for the moment, it's just going to become a battleground that you're going to lose on again.

For now, I would as much as humanly possible completely ignore their bad behavior. The currency the kids trade in is your attention, and if you give them attention for bad behavior, you are rewarding them... thus the bad behavior continues.

If they do something right. Acknowledge it, with positive attention.

Even when it comes time to start enforcing particular boundaries, you're going to need to cherry pick a few easy ones to start with, one at a time, rather than attempt to do everything at once.

@Athol_Kay, I definitely realize that the anger is the problem.  It's a momentary BOOM that feels uncontrollable, so I'm wondering if there are any thoughts I can focus on or methods to stop it.  Some habits seem easy to break, while others are deep-seated and complex and much harder to eliminate. 

I love my kids, and I'm proud of them.  I want to understand for myself WHY I have such difficulty wanting to be around them.  Just me saying I'm an introvert seems like a bad excuse.  I am really proud of my own personal gains from my MAP, but I feel so self-focused right now, and that seems wrong.  Of course my H has been a big part of my MAP so our relationship is strong too.  Over the past few years as he's MAPed, when our relationship has improved I've always been happy with it, and then it's made me feel guilty I can't seem to focus positive feelings on the kids and my relationships with them.  Telling myself to just relax doesn't seem to help.  (Another "red" that I can't seem to just STOP.)

Regarding my H's reaction to my anger (as an Enneagram 9), your description would have fit him before, but much less now.  I read the "levels of health" under Enneagram 9 and I would call him a 3 from the website: "Optimistic, reassuring, supportive: have a healing and calming influence—harmonizing groups, bringing people together: a good mediator, synthesizer, and communicator."  (He might have a few touches of 4 still.)  Looking at my Enneagram (6), my "level of health" is somewhere around a 4 right now: "Start investing their time and energy into whatever they believe will be safe and stable. Organizing and structuring, they look to alliances and authorities for security and continuity. Constantly vigilant, anticipating problems."  (And I probably have a touch of 5 with passive-aggressive, evasive, and anxious tendencies.)  Since he and I are doing well right now, he butts in when I am getting angry and pushes me on maintaining my frame.  It kind of pisses me off, but I don't get super mad at him since we're on good standing generally.

@Maria, I'm always interested in European advice.  I think you all get it right more often than not.  You sound like a great mom.  And @Scarlet, I love the cow story.  Makes me wish I had a cow in the back yard.  :)
    ScarletBourneAgainMrsJon