Being a good parent?

Comments

• forestleafforestleaf At the farmGold Women Posts: 1,703
    @stillasamountain, good question.  I'm probably going to sound like a horrible mom, but here goes.  Morningtime.  When I am down working out or getting breakfast, and quietly navigating the morning rituals, and I hear one of them thumping around loudly and getting ready to come downstairs, I get a tinge of a bad feeling.  Usually when one of them wakes, they wake all the others with their noises or crying.  Then I have to get them breakfast, or change a diaper, or whatever, rather than eat my breakfast and think about my day.  When I get home from work (last job when I was part-time) and they glom (word?) onto me immediately and start in on a million things (happinesses, sadnesses of the day), and I don't get a chance to make my own lunch.  When I am trying to do something (today it's clean the whole house) and I have to stop and clean up their messes, find the baby and see what mess she's gotten herself into, resolve fights between sibs, etc.  All of these negative times far outweigh the good times, it seems.

This is not to say I don't have good moments with them.  I read to them.  We have dinner together every night as a family.  I talk to them about their issues (problems at school, etc).  We hug.  We occasionally wrestle or chase.  I love my children and I worry about letting these years go by without enough +1 moments, as @Maria calls them.

@Athol_Kay, I get what you're saying.  I don't know if I'm artificially inflating my numbers.  I can relate to various levels.  I'm just going to stop the anger as well as I am able, and try and be accountable for it here.  Just a morning has gone by since I read your comments but already I've done well today (that's a rare respite).  You're quite the motivator, you know.

A few on here have discussed anger in their threads from time to time (@Tennee, @Ms_Fit and she expanded on some of it above), and I'm going to try and go back and read those threads as well if I can find them. 
  • redheaded_womanredheaded_woman USASilver Member Posts: 4,739
    @Ms_Fit said "Are you feeling 'not good enough'?  I feel that way often. I think it may be par for the course of motherhood. H says it's a sign that I *am* a good mother. The fact that I even worry about it means I care."

THIS.

I measure myself against some invisible standard of "motherhood"....thank God hub is there to remind me of my strengths and the things I give to them.
    "Fuck yesterday, make tomorrow awesome." - Tennee
    TenneeKattMrsJonCrashaxe
  • TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    edited July 2015
    Couple things.  Kiddo is a VERY strong-willed child.  I found yelling, ranting, raving, etc. did very little to actually curb testing.  She continues to test us;  W especially.  What works far better is 1) setting proper expectations 2) enforcing what you set and 3) positive reinforcement when they do the right things unprompted.  

I have news for you:  your strong-willed kids will continue to test you - always.  This place help me shift my approach.   My apple didn't fall far from the tree - I put W and me in the 'alpha' personality category.  Yours didn't fall far either; embrace this as a good thing.  

They will respond to positive, alpha leadership.  When it's framed right, they won't test as much and will follow.  YMMV, but it's much better here.  

I got lots of discussions and posts on anger, including On Anger.  Holler if I can help you...

ETA My W echoes you, Ms_Fit, RHW, et al  above...you are not alone by a longshot.
    "Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
    AngelineWinterforestleafCrashaxe
  • MrsJonMrsJon ColoradoSilver Member Posts: 466
    @forestleaf ;  I have no additional advice to offer, all the good stuff has been covered. I just wanted to say kudos to you for dealing with this issue head on. You are strong and brave to hash it all out on the forum, and being willing to do the hard work.
    You are doing great!

I went looking for my dreams outside of myself and discovered, it's not what the world holds for you, it's what you bring to it.  
           Anne Shirley - Anne of Avonlea

WinterfrillyfunBourneAgain
  • MrsJonMrsJon ColoradoSilver Member Posts: 466
    @frillyfun ; LOL about Thomas the Tank. I sort of hate him too. In fact, I know it's bad when I am starting to like Diesel!
    Apologies for the threadjack @ forestleaf!

I went looking for my dreams outside of myself and discovered, it's not what the world holds for you, it's what you bring to it.  
           Anne Shirley - Anne of Avonlea

frillyfunAngeline
  • SlipangleSlipangle MichiganSilver Member Posts: 1,544
    frillyfun said:
    My Dad's come back to "it's not fair" was "life isn't fair....the sooner you realize that the better"

It probably didn't work (we were/are hellions despite their best efforts), but it probably made him feel better to say it, and it's definitely something that resonates with me now.

I'm really over Thomas the flipping Train.  Really really over him, and the rest of the Sodor railway too.
    I go the agree and amplify route. More so with...
    Child: you're mean.
    Me: yes I am, and for that reason you should be afraid of doing something I don't like.