Hair is for pussies

Comments

• NeverSleptOnTheCouchNeverSleptOnTheCouch Silver Member Posts: 432
    @Zoroaster , I concur and resemble that statement, though  I believe you mean a van dyke
    Angeline[Deleted User]
  • The_DudeThe_Dude Hollywood Star LanesGold Men Posts: 4,583
    I am not close to bald but I do have receding a bit at the two temples.  When I reinvented myself  a few years back I cut it back to a number 4 on top and 1 or 2 on the sides.  Looks much better. I was reluctant just because (except in the army) I always had about the length of the first Bryan Cranston pic above.  Now it's more like this length (but way more handsome). 

People who haven't seen me since then don't recognize me at all.  It's great.  Ran into my old boss who knew me for 5 years.  Talked to him for 10 minutes before it dawned on him who I was. 
    Angeline[Deleted User]
  • LHKLHK USASilver Member Posts: 319
    Never shaved it completely but I do go to the barber once a month and get it buzzed down to a "1" which is pretty close to a boot camp cut. Wonder if there is a perceptual difference between a really short buzz and a fully shaven head?

Anyone want to weigh in on that?
    I too, would like to know.
    Currently sitting with a #1 cut to hide the widow's peak and tempted to shave it all off. I get a cut every 4-6 weeks and it's short enough to dry quickly. My questions;
    • How much more maintenance to shave it clean in the shower?
    • I'm in the sub-tropics, does it make a difference for sunburn?
    • I'm worried that my skull may be a weird shape and this will draw attention - Anyone seen a skull that shouldn't have been bald?
    • If I do this should I grow facial hair (goatee?) to balance it?
    Ok, I responded to this earlier but apparently vanilla forums ate it.
    • Maintenance - 10-15 minutes in the shower with a DE safety razor. Was a little quicker with Fusion. Lather, shave across the grain (front to back), rinse, lather, shave against the grain (bottom to top), rinse. I usually do this every other day or so. Rarely cut myself, cuts when they happen much worse with the fusion than the DE.
    • Sun burn - no appreciable difference between shaved and buzzed. If I'm going to spend a long time in the sun, sunscreen or a good hat are a must in either case.
    • Skull Shape - if your skull looks funny or women and children run screaming when you walk down the street, let it regrow. TBH you should be able to see the shape of your skull with a 1 on the clippers anyway. If that looks ok, shaved will likely be fine. I got a lot of complements (friends, family, clients, etc.) when I finally screwed up the courage to shave it all off.
    • Facial hair - Up to you, I keep a moustache (but I did before as well). I considered a goatee, but the wife effectively nixed it (I'd rather make out with my wife than insist on a goatee).
    As usual, YMMV.

LHK
    AlexZcodename_duchess
  • AlexZAlexZ MoscowSilver Member Posts: 164
    edited July 2015
    Just a bit of Photoshop voodoo to illustrate my point about hairline contrast:

Short haircut with full hair, short haircut with thinning hair, shaved head, shaved head with goatee.
    hairstyles.jpg
    1200 x 455 - 439K

Captain in training

My triage  My MAP

John3
  • ZoroasterZoroaster Silver Member Posts: 735
    @Zoroaster , I concur and resemble that statement, though  I believe you mean a van dyke
    Yeah, probably so. Sorta like Colonel Sanders.
    [Deleted User]
  • RebornReborn LondonGold Men Posts: 2,987
    JellyBean said:
    You are missing some understanding here. The fact that male-pattern baldness is infrequent in females suggests that MP baldness may be a sex-linked recessive trait. (I don't know if this supposition is correct or not.)

The genes for sex-linked recessive traits can be inherited by children of either sex from either parent but are typically only expressed by males. Examples include color blindness and hemophilia. 

http://umm.edu/health/medical/ency/articles/sexlinked-recessive

If baldness is in fact X-linked recessive, then looking at your mother's father (and brothers, too) does in fact give strong hints as to your hair-related future. 
    Thanks. You are correct, I was confused.

However, even after reading the above link, my understanding is now that there is a 50% chance that a man's X chromosome comes from his mother's father. (Or am I still confused?)

But I guess we are probably talking about multiple genes here, some of which may be x-linked recessive and some not. 
    Enneagram type 5 w6. 
    If I offer lots of advice, it's probably really me giving advice to myself. That always seems to happen. 
  • RorschachRorschach "Just ask the axis ..."Silver Member Posts: 1,458
    My dad was bald. Maternal grandfather and two maternal uncles were bald. Paternal and maternal great grandfathers were bald. I'm not (though thin on the crown). My brother is not. So, yeh, it's a recessive gene and a statistical lottery. 
  • John3John3 SeattleSilver Member Posts: 1,396
    The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.
    Zoroaster[Deleted User]
  • John3John3 SeattleSilver Member Posts: 1,396

I was looking at the Klingon Chief...

I'm a 2 all the way around (bald on top)...and a 2 on the Vandyke.  So long as it's kept trimmed I think it looks good. 

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.
    [Deleted User]
    Bald = evil. So true. I can't even count how many times I was stopped by police just because I bald.

Captain in training

My triage  My MAP

Angeline
  • codename_duchesscodename_duchess AustraliaSilver Member Posts: 222
    Well have been growing a goatee for a couple of weeks now and bit the bullet today and shaved my head. I got the usual moans from the cheap seats that my head is too lumpy and I look like a cancer patient. I'll have to see what the girls at work think - I no longer listen too hard to wife and daughter.
    [Deleted User]UnBetaMeAlexZBlackwulf
  • georgegeorge Silver Member Posts: 1,514
    edited August 2015
    Hmmmm.  Guess I have a story to add here.  

My thick wavy blonde hair started receding at 16. By 28 it looked like crap. I hate looking at old photos because I just want to go back and tell that guy to shave it off!  Professionally I was doing fine. But between the thinning hair and total lack of clothing style, man, where was MMSL in 1995????

When I shaved it - first with clippers, later with a razor - it was a huge relief - took control, turned a - into a +, or at least broke even.

one tip: protect the scalp man!  UV protection. And start collecting hats (James Taylor said that is every bald man's hobby).

as for genetics, I should be able to figure that one out. But at some point I stopped wondering IF I would go bald (pretty clear) and stopped the "why me?"  And lost interest in that. My younger brother still has his hair, same pattern with my father and his younger brother. But mom's side is all Kennedy-like thick hair. So, I guess I'm a mutant in that regard. 

W says she's always been fine with it. But I seem to recall she was aghast first time I clipped it done short.  Fair enough. I'm an acquired taste!

My three boys, well, my guess is they'll have the same thing as me, but looks like later in life.  Maybe they will have figured out a "cure" that doesn't have potentially permanent side effects by then. 

What I've learned: sunscreen, buy stock in good razors, and get some muscles in your shoulders so you look intimidating!  where shirts that fit well around the neck - stretched out T's around the neck look especially bad for some reason.
    UnBetaMePen_and_SwordDaddyOhRPG46
  • LadyOrTheTygerLadyOrTheTyger EarthSilver Member Posts: 892
    Bald guy + muscles + facial hair = 1 weak-kneed Tyger.
    Angeline[Deleted User]NeverSleptOnTheCouch
  • UnBetaMeUnBetaMe Through The GatesMember Posts: 1,211
    edited August 2015
    Chief_TC said:
    Well, I got the bald and the facial hair down...

Time to get 'MORE' jacked and tan @chief_TC !

ETA: the word MORE above... considering Chief is sulking in the next comment. :)

[Deleted User]Angelinespartacus
    edited August 2015
    The guys at work have said that I look like 'Robbo' an Australian sports presenter. Not sure that it's a compliment since he's a few years older than me....
    I've only got the goatee and not the full face covering.
    edited August 2015
    Hmm, got that one wrong, it was "Sterlo" (what is it with Australian nicknames?). And he's 10 years older than me so not sure that's better.

I am in my early thirties and my coworkers asked me whether I'll start my own meth lab or not )  

There is not so many famous bold people to choose from - I would not read "you look like" as "you look his age"  

Captain in training

My triage  My MAP

codename_duchess
  • Pen_and_SwordPen_and_Sword USASilver Member Posts: 469
    george said:
    Could be worse.  A few years ago some of my wife's extended family members recieved our Christmas card and wrote back to say that they didn't know that I had cancer.  

Not sure if that's better or worse than meth lab owner/operator.  

I was going for badass MMA fighter.  But not enough body art or bruises I guess. 

Or muscles!   :D  

(I kid, I kid!)
    "James Bond doesn't have bad days."  - Tennee
    "The goal is to turn women on, NOT sex. If you become good at turning women on, sex can be assumed." - Tanooki
    Triage: http://marriedmansexlife.vanillaforums.com/discussion/13564/so-this-is-me
    M.A.P. - http://marriedmansexlife.vanillaforums.com/discussion/13574/pen-and-swords-map
    spartacus