Hair is for pussies

124»

Comments

• LHKLHK USASilver Member Posts: 319
    Never shaved it completely but I do go to the barber once a month and get it buzzed down to a "1" which is pretty close to a boot camp cut. Wonder if there is a perceptual difference between a really short buzz and a fully shaven head?

Anyone want to weigh in on that?
    I too, would like to know.
    Currently sitting with a #1 cut to hide the widow's peak and tempted to shave it all off. I get a cut every 4-6 weeks and it's short enough to dry quickly. My questions;
    • How much more maintenance to shave it clean in the shower?
    • I'm in the sub-tropics, does it make a difference for sunburn?
    • I'm worried that my skull may be a weird shape and this will draw attention - Anyone seen a skull that shouldn't have been bald?
    • If I do this should I grow facial hair (goatee?) to balance it?

I shave mine every other day or so in the shower with a DE safety razor (started with a fusion and converted last Christmas). Takes about 5-10 minutes. I do two passes, one across the grain, one against the grain. I rarely cut my self, but when I do the cuts are much smaller and less bloody with the DE than they ever were with the fusion. I could cut down to once a week or so and likely no one would notice much, but I like the smooth feel better.

I'm in TX, likely similar weather to you. I didn't notice a significant difference in sunburn between buzzed close and shaved. If I' going to spend a significant time in the sun, good sunscreen or (my preference) stray cowboy hat to keep the sun off is a requirement in either case.

If your skull turns out to be weird, or women and children scream and run away when you walk down the street, stop shaving and let it grow back out. If you're at a .5 or 1 on the guard now, that won't take long.

I wear a mustache (but I did before I shaved). I considered a goatee but prefer to continue kissing my wife (FTR, my beard comes in very thick and prickly, she hates it).

Hope this helps!
    LHK
  • LHKLHK USASilver Member Posts: 319
    Never shaved it completely but I do go to the barber once a month and get it buzzed down to a "1" which is pretty close to a boot camp cut. Wonder if there is a perceptual difference between a really short buzz and a fully shaven head?

Anyone want to weigh in on that?
    I too, would like to know.
    Currently sitting with a #1 cut to hide the widow's peak and tempted to shave it all off. I get a cut every 4-6 weeks and it's short enough to dry quickly. My questions;
    • How much more maintenance to shave it clean in the shower?
    • I'm in the sub-tropics, does it make a difference for sunburn?
    • I'm worried that my skull may be a weird shape and this will draw attention - Anyone seen a skull that shouldn't have been bald?
    • If I do this should I grow facial hair (goatee?) to balance it?
    Ok, I responded to this earlier but apparently vanilla forums ate it.
    • Maintenance - 10-15 minutes in the shower with a DE safety razor. Was a little quicker with Fusion. Lather, shave across the grain (front to back), rinse, lather, shave against the grain (bottom to top), rinse. I usually do this every other day or so. Rarely cut myself, cuts when they happen much worse with the fusion than the DE.
    • Sun burn - no appreciable difference between shaved and buzzed. If I'm going to spend a long time in the sun, sunscreen or a good hat are a must in either case.
    • Skull Shape - if your skull looks funny or women and children run screaming when you walk down the street, let it regrow. TBH you should be able to see the shape of your skull with a 1 on the clippers anyway. If that looks ok, shaved will likely be fine. I got a lot of complements (friends, family, clients, etc.) when I finally screwed up the courage to shave it all off.
    • Facial hair - Up to you, I keep a moustache (but I did before as well). I considered a goatee, but the wife effectively nixed it (I'd rather make out with my wife than insist on a goatee).
    As usual, YMMV.

LHK
  • CountryDudeCountryDude ThailandMember Posts: 115
    Aaand I just found this:

Pity, he shaved his beard to high, lol.  I have seen worse though.

I do agree though.  If I go bald, I shall grow facial hair.  I hope I don't go bald though as I have a tattoo on my head, lol.  And I am thinning, I think, or maybe I am just paranoid.

I am trying to grow my hair out long.  It may be going through some kind of crisis.
  • SManSMan Silver Member Posts: 1,126
    edited April 27
    JellyBean said:
    I would love to have a hundred children
    @JellyBean that is a "hair-raising" thought
    AngelineHildaCorners
  • CavemanCaveman In my cave down the blockMember Posts: 64
    I'm not naturally bald. At 42 I could prolly grow an Afro if I wanted to but trust me I don't. I started shaving my head bald about 10-12 years ago mainly for health reasons I started getting ingrown hairs on my scalp and they would get infected so to relieve this I just got rid of the hair on my head before it had a chance to grow back into the scalp. Anyway I shave my head everyday I have to work in the shower takes no time. I love the look and a few years ago I let the hair on my head grow back since I thought I was tired of the bald look. That lasted all of like 6 weeks before I figured the hair look was not for me. I wear a uniform for a living so I am not allowed to grow a beard or goatee (but I "rebel" by growing a "flavor saver") but do have a mustache of varying thickness. I don't feel I get treated any different by being bald but I think because I am a man of color society accepts baldness better than on those that are not. Bald just fits my personality so well plus CW loves it too.