My (Success) Story

13»

Comments

• AlphaBelleAlphaBelle In the South, y'all.Gold Women Zen Garden Posts: 1,863
    Also trying to show you that she isn't jealous or upset that he has attached himself to someone else.  That she isn't brooding over him. That she's trying to keep everything about that guy out in the open between the two of you. 
    "We must sail--sometimes with the wind and sometimes against it--but we must sail, and not drift or lie at anchor." ~Oliver Wendell Holmes
    shibariMiddleMan
  • Tiger_LilyTiger_Lily Silver Member Posts: 772
    I, too, was deeply moved by your story and admire the strength and wisdom you have shown.  

I, too, am the wronged spouse of a good guy who you would never think would have ever had an affair.  I have come to understand what I had done to make that possible, even though the responsibility for the act itself is his alone.

I don't recall how much time has passed since your discovery of the full extent of her affair.  Eventually though, there comes a time when these questions and conversations may become counter-productive - assuming you have decided to forgive and stay in this marriage.  After the decision point, continuing to hold this over her head, picking the old scabs, may do damage to your and her ability to rebuild.

If you haven't made your decision and are still processing, that is, of course, your absolute right.  I would just caution you not to require from her a full and complete understanding and acknowledgment of the damage she has done as a condition of you staying.  You won't get it.  They don't ever get there, not fully.  It's not fair but it's just a fact of life.
    AngelineMiddleManBlueWolf
  • MiddleManMiddleMan Chicago BurbsSilver Member Posts: 1,898
    What hurts, reading this, is how your wife wanted you back....
    SignorePillolaRossaCartB4HorseAdamBecker
  • shrek2016shrek2016 WIMember Posts: 2
    @fredless This is such a powerful story I'm completely blown away. Your strength and dignity are an inspiration! I wonder if you would care to provide an update on how things are going for you these days?

I also had a couple questions I've been wanting to ask you about your reconciliation process.

First, you mentioned that since almost no one knows about this, you have no one to talk to about it, and so you have to shoulder this burden alone (I can relate!!!). If I read correctly, you are very close to your brother but chose not to inform him of the affair to spare his friendship with your wife. But it sounds like your brother might be exactly the kind of person in your life that could help with your healing. It's certainly understandable that you didn't want to involve him (boy, I can relate), but if the situation were reversed and he was the one hurting, don't you think that you would want to know?

Second point, it sounds like your wife is still in denial / rationalizing / compartmentalizing mode, and still does not fully comprehend the magnitude of her betrayal (she seems fixated on the "friending" incident, as if the years-long sexual affair itself was just a footnote). A couple of her comments are jaw-dropping for their total lack of self-awareness or sensitivity. I wonder if the fact that she apparently never had to provide a full disclosure has allowed her to avoid facing the full enormity of her actions? 

So did you ever consider asking her to write letters to family members (her parents?) confessing to the affair and the devastating affect that it's had on you? Even if you never actually forced her to read the letters to them, just the act of writing about the damage she caused might help snap her out of the denial?

Also, since you understandably want to avoid knowing all the tawdry details of her affair, have you considered asking an MC to administer the process of a full disclosure journal from her including a detailed timeline? Again, being forced to address the horrific details might help her to face reality, and you would be spared the process and could access as little (or none) of the details in private with the MC. 

Be well, and thank you for sharing your story.
    BlueWolf
  • fredlessfredless Silver Member Posts: 2,842
    edited October 27

Update--Part 1:

My last update was in November 2015.  I had written a different update but I felt it was too long.  If anyone has specific questions, I’ll answer any question.  Feel free to ask.

Simply, this has been a very difficult year for me with many highs and lows.  My emotions have run the gamut of being genuinely happy to be with my wife to feelings that have included anger, betrayal, hurt, and humiliation.  These feelings brought me to really dark places at times. 

Now there have been many positives.  We continue to have pretty amazing sex, typically four and sometimes five times in a week.  The quality of our sex continues to improve.   It is a given we are going out on Saturday for our date night.  We do fun things together.  I am clearly the leader of the family and my wife is happily my First Officer.  I’ve heard her brag about me.  She compliments me in ways that she never did.

At other times, I’d enter the dark places where I’d wonder if my wife truly wanted to be with me or if she was settling.  I’ve had trouble trusting my judgment in this matter because I thought we were in a great place in 04/15 when The Facebook Incident took place.  I’d also wonder, at times, if I still wanted to be married to her. 

It was also apparent to me that my wife had little idea of the damage she has caused.  I have specific examples if others are curious but I’m certain she did not have a good understanding. 

In looking for solutions/assistance, I came across the book, “Not Just Friends.”  Parts of that book really spoke to me.  I asked my wife to read it and she obtained it and read it immediately.  She has consistently said that she will do whatever is necessary to make our marriage work and except for a couple of errors, her actions have shown this to be true.

So after we had both read the book, we had a couple of discussions.  I asked many questions about her affair and her relationship with Rob.  I learned about her affair and how it developed.  I believe her when she said it wasn’t planned.  It was a slow process and over time, they fell “in love.”  Rob had wanted my wife to divorce me and be with her.  During this conversation she asserted that she did not leave me because of our sons—which was different than what she originally told me at the time of the Facebook Incident.  She said that this was the reason she gave to Rob and he told her that he was a child of divorce and he turned out fine.  However, she didn’t budge on ending our marriage to be with him.  Eventually, he started dating and as noted in the previous installments, he knocked up his baby momma (Fall 2007) and tried to make it work with her while my wife continued to pine for him. 

For a time after this, I felt better.  But soon after, those feelings of anger began creeping in.  I continued to find myself in the dark places.  I’d wake up at night, not be able to fall asleep, and I’d get up for a couple of hours.  I didn’t know why.  I mean, I understood how the affair developed.  While I did not (and don’t) excuse my wife’s behaviors and choices, I really believe that she is a good person.  Again, I know how my behaviors and actions decreased her attraction to me and how my blue pill trust made it easy for her to engage in an affair.  So why was I still so angry/hurt, etc.?  I felt that it should be improving and it just didn’t feel that way.

And then it hit me…my anger is the result of her attempting to bring Rob back into her life in 2013 and in particular, in 2015.  It seems obvious now, and maybe it’s been obvious to some of you, but at the time, it was like I turned a light on.

Like I said, I understand her affair—I understand how it happened.  But in 2013, our marriage was significantly improved.  In April 2015, our marriage was (I thought) really strong.  And yet, she was risking bringing him back into her life at the potential cost of our marriage.  Now again, logically, I believe that her accepting Rob’s facebook friend request was in part her unconsciously giving me the opportunity to quash her relationship with Rob and cement my role as the leader in our family.  I believe that another reason was the fantasy view she held of Rob and how she ‘loved’ him.  As I continued to process her accepting this friend request, a lot of thoughts entered into my mind:

--If my wife truly felt guilt or shame or remorse about her affair, she would have never accepted this request.  She would have blocked him and had no contact with him.  The only guilt/shame/remorse she experiences is because she is now aware that I now know of her affair; she feels bad about the pain she has caused me and the damage she has done our marriage.  She actually feels no guilt/remorse/shame about her behavior.  If she did, she would not have accepted that friend request in the first place.

--If she was really “all in” in our marriage and it was as good as I thought, why did she accept the friend request and potentially restart the affair?  Put aside her wanting me to quash it—she should have been able to do this on her own.  Was she just settling for me?

--Even though our marriage seemed strong, was her behavior now just to keep me around because she couldn’t do any better?  After all, she was willing to stay with me in the past when she ‘loved’ another man.  Was she going to waste another ten years of my life and I find out in my 60s that she was just settling for me?

--I had mapped well and hard by April 2015.  I was the most awesome I had ever been and in the best shape of my life.  If that wasn’t enough to keep my wife from potentially straying, why am I still with her?  Do I want to continue this marriage?

I needed my wife to know all of this.  I needed her to have some real understanding of what she has done—the pain she has caused. And I wanted her to answer to a question that I don’t really think she can….”Why did you facebook friend the guy you had an affair with?"

TenneeIrishGypsyCartB4HorseMiddleMan
  • CartB4HorseCartB4Horse Southwest USASilver Member Posts: 4,155
    @fredless - Your success is awesome, you've done a ton of hard work and are 'paying it forward' to so many people here on MMSL. My Ex-wife had an affair 15 years ago. I am still affected by her behavior/actions even though we are divorced. In some way being betrayed is like having cold sores, it's always there.

Put back on course via a 'One Hour Call' with Athol.  Seriously worth 10 times the cost, but don't tell him that....

“Between stimulus and response, there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.” - Victor Frankl 

AngelineShepardAlphaBelle
  • fredlessfredless Silver Member Posts: 2,842
    @sf64 said:

Your old imagined future was shattered by the affair.  But you have to opportunity to create a new imagined future.  In my case, it wasn't until I could articulate a new imagined future that I could truly let go of the old one.  The old one will linger until you replace it.
    This is interesting and I see how it applies.  I think I have been (with my wife) creating a new imagined future.  We've actually discussed in depth our retirement plans including where we will retire, the type of home we'll purchase at that time, activities we will do to give us a reason to get out of bed, etc.

I will think more on this and read more fully about this concept.  Thank you.
  • shrek2016shrek2016 WIMember Posts: 2
    Great update - thanks for writing this. A couple questions / comments:

The only guilt/shame/remorse she experiences is because she is now aware that I now know of her affair
    That sounds like an almost clinical definition of a sociopath / narcissist. Have you asked her point blank if she truly regrets what she did? If so, do you believe her? And if not, then what?

It wasn't an angry conversation or one where I took cheap shots or where she got defensive.
    Considering what she’s done, it’s hard to imagine what she could possibly be "defensive" about. She seems to be enjoying her great marriage to a great husband after she did everything possible to destroy it. Does she actually try to defend this? 

For the first time (at least in my presence) she became tearful.
    Holy shit! She's never even shed a tear? It's inconceivable that she’s not emotionally shattered by seeing the pain she’s inflicted on her own husband. Does she show genuine concern for your healing and well being?

she is never going to provide me with a satisfying answer.  I didn't pursue this response either as I could see it was fruitless
    It sounds like her attitude is basically "Sorry but talking about this makes me really uncomfortable, so it would be a lot easier if you just continued to suffer in silence". If her answers (or lack of answers) are unsatisfying, have you considered taking some additional actions - marriage counseling, insisting on answers in writing, or a full confession to a trusted friend of family member? 

that really hurts. But I'm working really hard on accepting that it's going to always be there.
    Do you feel she’s working as hard as you are? Have you ever told her directly that it's her responsibility to make amends for the damage she did? In fact, have there ever been any real consequences for her of any kind?

It sucks that you’ve had to go though this but it seems like you’ve built a really good marriage in spite of everything - one that most people would envy. Take care of yourself and good luck with your journey.