Bra Fitting Adventures

Comments

• HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    Update ... a few weeks ago I put on my 34H and -sproing! - the wire made a hole and started coming out. I really didn't like my other bras that (sort of) fit, so off to the mall I went.

Macy's ... a couple bras that fit ok, but not great.
    Lord & Taylor ... a lot by Wacoal, some fit fairly well, but I wasn't ready to buy.

Nordstrom ... I found the bra I liked at L&T, but in a better color. When I went in to the fitting room, the clerk brought me about 20 bras in my size (now a 34G, I've lost a bit of weight). I ended up with the Wacoal I liked, but had fun trying on all the different bras.

I overheard the women in the other rooms ... one was a 32G and the other, 36G. Yup, we were lined up! I talked to the clerk, and she said Nordstrom was carrying a lot more "small band, big cup" bras these days, because they sell well. I thanked them, and was very happy.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    telyniHopeAndHardWorkHowlAtTheMoon
  • HopeAndHardWorkHopeAndHardWork USASilver Member Posts: 577
    Update:  I only found a couple of bras that I liked that fit me at Nordstroms so I ventured into the world of online bra shopping.  It's a little tedious waiting for stuff to come in the mail and then returning what doesn't fit, but the selection is awesome.  I've got a sizable little bra wardrobe now of beautiful bras that fit well.  Amazon with free returns is awesome for when you're still trying to nail down your size.  Some of the other online stores that I've found good selections at (some have free shipping depending on how much you spend):

Figleaves
    BareNecessities
    BraStop
    BreakOut Bras (ships from the U.S.)
    Herroom  (ships from the U.S.)

Just a heads up that it is apparently common to go up a cup size or down a band size (or both) very soon after starting to wear a properly fitting bra for the first time.  This happened to me and was simply because I got better at fine tuning what was a proper fit on me.  I also got used to my band being much more snug and supportive.  I don't think I'll go down a band size unless I unexpectedly lose a little weight, but I did go up a cup size from what my first measurements indicated would be the correct size.  Don't be surprised if you have to get a different bra size within 1-2 months of buying your first correctly fitting bra.
    "Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography."   -Robert Byrne
    "There are no ugly women, only lazy ones"  -Helena Rubenstein
    "Sex appeal is fifty percent what you've got and fifty percent what people think you've got."   -Sophia Loren
    HildaCornersPurpleamblrgirl
    @mrsozzy you might want to determine your shape before you try on bras.  If you are used to buying a demi cup, check to see if you are shallow breasted or not (this is very common for petite women).  If you are, you would still be buying certain specific types of demi and half-cups because they are shaped for that.  

I would always buy demi cups or plunge style cups as well because otherwise they overwhelmed me with coverage that I didn't need (I'm also petite).  My new 32DD bra looks kind of huge in the cups to me when I just hold it in my hand, but it fits perfectly when I put it on because the shape is cut right.

Here is an excellent post on what shallow shape looks like (warning, vey NSFW).
    Here is another post that gives a list of brands and specific styles that are recommended for this shape.

Here is a good group of pics that show women who wear 30DD in correct size bras. Some are shallow breasted and some are not, but all except one are wearing demi, half-cup, or plunge style cups.  

A quick search on Nordstrom's website shows 197 bras in size 30DD.  48 of those were available at my local store.  It might be worth your while to make a day trip and go try on bras at Nortdstrom's if your local store shows that they have a decent amount in the store.  I kind of doubt you're going to find much at Dillard's in that size, as they only have 38 bras in 30DD listed on their website.  

It's worth the effort to find a bra that fits beautifully.  Once you've had that experience, you'll never again settle for a bra that just sort of fits.
    "Anybody who believes that the way to a man's heart is through his stomach flunked geography."   -Robert Byrne
    "Sex appeal is fifty percent what you've got and fifty percent what people think you've got."   -Sophia Loren
    @mrsozzy you might want to determine your shape before you try on bras.  If you are used to buying a demi cup, check to see if you are shallow breasted or not (this is very common for petite women).  If you are, you would still be buying certain specific types of demi and half-cups because they are shaped for that.  

I would always buy demi cups or plunge style cups as well because otherwise they overwhelmed me with coverage that I didn't need (I'm also petite).  My new 32DD bra looks kind of huge in the cups to me when I just hold it in my hand, but it fits perfectly when I put it on because the shape is cut right.

Here is another post that gives a list of brands and specific styles that are recommended for this shape.

Here is a good group of pics that show women who wear 30DD in correct size bras. Some are shallow breasted and some are not, but all except one are wearing demi, half-cup, or plunge style cups.  

A quick search on Nordstrom's website shows 197 bras in size 30DD.  48 of those were available at my local store.  It might be worth your while to make a day trip and go try on bras at Nortdstrom's if your local store shows that they have a decent amount in the store.  I kind of doubt you're going to find much at Dillard's in that size, as they only have 38 bras in 30DD listed on their website.  

It's worth the effort to find a bra that fits beautifully.  Once you've had that experience, you'll never again settle for a bra that just sort of fits.
    Ok, not sure why vanilla forums is suddenly posting something that I tried to post back on the 10th of October, let alone why it is double posted.  This was my original response to @mrsozzy back on the tenth and now it's suddenly alive again.  Weird.  Moderators, feel free to remove the double post, as it's not needed.
    telyni
  • little_beelittle_bee Member Posts: 101
    edited November 2015
    30s are very hard to find in the USA. Dillards isn't in my area, but the only store that carries 30s here is Nordstrom, and they only have a few to choose from. Even the local specialty bra store doesn't carry small bands.

My daughter (DD, I forget if she's a 28 or a 30) orders bras from the UK. She once hit a good sale at Marks & Spencer, and usually orders from figleaves.com. Figleaves has a good return policy, iirc. Btw, she does not look like a DD to me (though that really is her size) ... DD in that band is still a pretty small cup.
      Yep, DDs in a 30 band can be a small cup, evidenced by the fact that after a Nordstrom fitting I have moved from the 32B I was wearing to the 30DD I have on, although I do think it's something of a fluke. 

The fitter I got was rushed (in her defense, it was black Friday) and somewhat rude, but she gave me decent service and found me a selection of bras that fit. We had a minor argument when I insisted I was NOT going to wear a 32 anything after she measured my band at 29 inches, gave me a selection of 30s and then suggested I try a 32. After the 30s the 32s felt all kinds of wrong, and I insisted we stick with 30s.

Some of the bras she brought me were Cs, others D and DD. It turns out wearing a larger band and smaller cup was not properly encapsulating the breast tissue I have on the sides and forcing it to migrate to space underneath my arm pits. This was so apparent to the fitter after seeing me in a 32B she didn't even attempt have me try on anything smaller than a C.  

She also suggested I stop buying bras off the rack without trying them on first, as she schooled me again that sizing and shape are not standard and one bra will fit better than the other regardless of stated size. I can be a C in one brand and cup style, a D in another, and a DD in a third. Unsurprising to anyone reading this thread, but a bit of a shocker to me is how I can migrate between cup sizes depending on how the cup is shaped, particularly since I never considered myself to anything but an A/B cup. 

Now I have to re-purchase my bra collection...for the 3rd time this year.
    PurpleHildaCornersHopeAndHardWork
    edited December 2015
    If you are used to buying a demi cup, check to see if you are shallow breasted or not (this is very common for petite women).  If you are, you would still be buying certain specific types of demi and half-cups because they are shaped for that.  

Holy Cow! A website with pics of women with shallow boobs just like mine...one of them is even wearing the very bra the Nordstorms fitter found for me!

Thanks for the unintentional emotional reassurance @HopeAndHardWork that I'm not indulging in a fluke wearing a DD cup. I was somewhat weirded out when I looked at the sizes the fitter brought me, as I am so used to thinking of myself as flat-chested. 

But my mother, who also had a fitting to indulge my whim, turned out NOT to be the 38C she has always insisted she is...she's a 38FF in European sizing, which is an America 38H. She might go down a cup or two when she recommits to losing weight next year, but I doubt she'll get much smaller than an E. Now that I know more about cup sizing I can state with certainty that despite her protestations to the contrary, my mother has probably never been smaller than an E cup as long as I've been alive. Pretty much anybody would think themselves flat-chested after eyeing my Mother's rack.

And yes...I saw her boobs without clothes growing up as my parents were casual about nudity in my house, especially my mom.
    telyni

Thanks for the unintentional emotional reassurance @HopeAndHardWork that I'm not indulging in a fluke wearing a DD cup. I was somewhat weirded out when I looked at the sizes the fitter brought me, as I am so used to thinking of myself as flat-chested. 

Right there with ya.  Always thought of myself as kind of flat, the original "A" cup girl and then  . . . found out I was a 32DDD (UK 32E).  Never had any idea of what shallow boobs meant until this.  One blogger calls shallow boobs "stealth boobs" which made me laugh.  When a third of your breast tissue is trying to hide out under your armpits, it's really easy to think you haven't got a lot of volume going on as it's not sticking straight out the front and advertising itself.  The size of the cups of my new bras took me some getting used to also.  Get used to people being in total disbelief when you tell them your bra size.  I just use it as a springboard for talking about updated bra sizing techniques.
    Angelinetelyni
    edited December 2015

Kiche said:
    SO bought me lingerie from a high-end place (first time I went in there, I walked right out once I glanced at the price tags) and I had to exchange the bra. 

This sales lady was awesome. I was in between, but once she figured it out brought me all sorts to try on depending on her knowledge of the make.

I'm now convinced it's a matter of finding a bra you like, then finding a brand that fits, sizes be damned...
    At the end of the day, if you hate the bra you're wearing it doesn't matter if it's technically a perfect fit.  You're less likely to really love a bra that fits so poorly that it's uncomfortable, but a perfect fit doesn't guarantee that you'll want to buy it and wear it either.  Knowing your size just gets you in the ball park of getting a bra that you'll love.  

I've rejected several bras that were a technically perfect fit but that I didn't like.  They either didn't give me the shape I wanted, didn't appeal to me aesthetically (granny bra!) or were uncomfortable because of their construction.
    HildaCorners
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    I've rejected several bras that were a technically perfect fit but that I didn't like.  They either didn't give me the shape I wanted, didn't appeal to me aesthetically (granny bra!) or were uncomfortable because of their construction.

QFT

Or the bra covers too much and I can't wear my V neck tops, or it has no support, or it costs more than I can afford, or it's a 4-hooker. I will *not* buy a bra with 4 sets of hooks!

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    HopeAndHardWorkPurpletelyni
    edited December 2015
    Right there with ya.  Always thought of myself as kind of flat, the original "A" cup girl and then  . . . found out I was a 32DDD (UK 32E).  Never had any idea of what shallow boobs meant until this.  One blogger calls shallow boobs "stealth boobs" which made me laugh.  When a third of your breast tissue is trying to hide out under your armpits, it's really easy to think you haven't got a lot of volume going on as it's not sticking straight out the front and advertising itself.  The size of the cups of my new bras took me some getting used to also.  Get used to people being in total disbelief when you tell them your bra size.  I just use it as a springboard for talking about updated bra sizing techniques.
    "Stealth boobs," LOL!

As to the opinions of others...I can't comprehend that discussion at the moment as I'm actually having trouble with my own opinion.

Having my mother as a comparison during my teen years, I was left wondering when I'd finally get my own grown-up girl boobs. Now it turns out I've had them all along and didn't realize it...or at least since my kids were born anyway. :)
    AngelinePurple
  • PirouettePirouette Somewhere, USAGold Women Posts: 1,539
    It took me until my late 20s to go into a speciality lingerie store and get properly fitted. Now, I'm pretty knowledgeable about what fits me and what I look best in. I'm a solid 34DDD, which is hard to find. Some sales people will try to tell me that an E is the same as an DDD, but there's usually a difference depending on the brand.

My favorite shop is almost an hour away. Been needing a new bra for months now but have not been able to make the trip out. I was getting desperate. Heard of a new shop that opened close to me. I was excited and decided yesterday I would go buy a new bra.

The girl immediately told me that they didn't carry DDDs but Es were the same. I said I was opening to trying them on but sometimes they are bigger. I told her I wanted a T-shirt, black and one fun bra. She started me with one beige T-shirt bra. That one fit me perfectly. Was very excited, took a selfie and sent to 8B. 

Then she asked if I wanted to try more on (???!!!) I said yes, a black one and a fun-colored one because it's hard finding fun bras in my size. She came back with one black one. It didn't fit and I showed her how I wasn't filling the cups and it was too tight around the band causing muffin top on the sides. She said that was normal with my size (???!!!). She asked if I wanted to try more on.

I'm very frustrated with her at this point because 1) it appears I know more about bra fitting than she does 2) she is only bringing me one bra at a time and 3) she's making rude comments. When she came back with a white bra for my 'fun bra' she asks me to tell her what I mean by fun. Ha. My response was it's hard to find bras my size in anything other than beige, white and black. I decided to go out and take a look myself. She parks her butt by the cash register while I look. I find a cute blue bra and proceed to look for a size. She yells across the store, 'I already looked, we don't have that in your size.' That happened a few more times at which  point I said aloud to both the sales girls that bra shopping makes me cry. 

And, that's when the flood gates started. I couldn't stop them. I am 5'5", 140lbs, with a plus size chest. I have had some horrible bra shopping experiences but never have I felt shame about my size nor had tears been streaming down my face. I know I should've walked out but, dammit, I needed a new bra desperately. I bought the beige one, while in tears -I couldn't hardly talk. The women said nothing except how to wash my bra and thank you (with an f'n smile). 

It's cathartic to write it out. I thought of this thread while driving home yesterday. This why women hate bra shopping - finding the right fit is next to impossible, even when you know your size. Doesn't help to have horrendous sales help either.

I did leave them a few terrible reviews online. Ugh. Still no pretty bra  :(
    HildaCornerstelyniforestleaf
    @Pirouette I'm sorry you had such a bad experience, but I can't really say that I'm surprised.  Most lingerie shops in the USA, even the specialty ones, don't have a particularly large size range and selection and the quality of their sales staff is very hit or miss.  Bra shopping used to make me cry also.

A couple of things stood out to me in your post.

First of all there are tons and tons of cute bras in 34DDD (34E) but they are mostly not in US shops.  You will have to go on line for that.  34DDD (which is a 34E in UK sizing) is a very common size in the UK.  UK bra manufacturers make a staggering number of bras in that size.  Go look on Amazon UK and filter down the bras available by size.  Even the Amazon USA site has a decent number of lovely bras in 34DDD/E (I filtered by both 34 DDD and E, and I selected for only the color purple).

Secondly, knowing your size is only half the the battle.  Bra cups are constructed to fit different shapes as well as different sizes.  All 34E's hold the same breast volume (about 850 cc's for one cup).  However, if the shape of the cup is not compatible with your breast shape, it still won't fit even though it is the correct size.  

It will help a lot if you determine your breast shape and then try on bras that are recommended for that shape. For instance if your breast tissue is very projected vs. very shallow (like this bowl vs. this bowl), you will need a bra that is cut in such a way that it fits very projected breast tissue.  If your breasts are shallow and you try on a bra that is for projected breasts, you won't fill out the cup even though it's the correct size.

You might want to measure yourself and plug the numbers in to this calculator to make sure that you are in the correct size.  Here are pictures of women who are 34DDD (34E). If that doesn't look like you, than you probably need a different size then you're in now. If you measure yourself and are confused by the result that the calculator gives you, look on the bra band project for that size to see if the pictures look like you (put the band and UK cup size in the search boxes to the left).

Buying on Amazon (using free shipping/free returns from the US site initially while you nail down your size and brand) will open up a huge world of beautiful, fun bras in your size.  You don't have to settle for crappy selection and poor service.  Try bras on in the privacy of your own home where you don't have to put up with other people's lack of skill or compassion.  Buying bras does not have to be a humiliating experience!  Seriously, once you get used to the international selection of the on-line bra shopping experience, you will never go back.
    PurplePirouetteHannelore
  • PirouettePirouette Somewhere, USAGold Women Posts: 1,539
    Thanks @HopeAndHardWork, I have bought bras online many times but it's such a pain to return, and I was desperate for a new bra, etc., etc.. You're right about the shape/cut or the cup.

Many times with the larger sizes I run into the over the shoulder strap. It is difficult for me to find a bra where I don't tighten the strap all the way. My sales 'friend' the other day said it fit perfectly when the strap were tightened all the way. >insert eye roll< Apparently, she had no clue that the moment that bra stretches slightly it would fail to fit me. 

It was cathartic to write it out, so thanks for providing the thread. I think she may have been the youngest bra-fitter I've ever had. Mental note: look for older woman who knows her shit, they are the best! 
  • Tiger_LilyTiger_Lily Silver Member Posts: 772
    Ladies - looking for a recommendation for a sports bra for running.  At 32DD, minimizing bounce is a priority.  Currently using Enell, which is more of a corset than a bra and shows under the neckline of most workout tops.
  • LionessLioness usSilver Member Posts: 208
    I'm a 32DD.  I'm not overweight, but I have a challenge with back fat. I found luck with the spanx bras.  The wide band in the back helps keep things smooth.  
    "Proceed with being awesome" (even if others are shocked) - frillyfun
    Tiger_LilyAngeline
    @Lioness what size do you buy in Spanx sports bras? Their zip-front model I was looking up is sized S-M-L, I can't seem to figure out how that translates to band and cup sizes.
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    Thanks @Angeline.  These don't look like sports bras though? I'm looking specifically for a non-bouncy bra for running.