Tinder and the Dawn of the “Dating Apocalypse”

sf64sf64 Střední Evropa na chvíliSilver Member Posts: 1,997
I came across this article in Vanity Fair today.

Tinder and the Dawn of the “Dating Apocalypse”

It has been widely noted on this forum that "women are the gatekeepers of sex" and "men are the gatekeepers of commitment."  The article talks about how things like Tinder and the "hookup culture" are completely re-writing the rules and in reality, it is the women who are losing.  Several quotes jumped out at me (my emphasis added):

“It’s rare for a woman of our generation to meet a man who treats her like a priority instead of an option,”

It is the very abundance of options provided by online dating which may be making men less inclined to treat any particular woman as a “priority,” according to David Buss, a professor of psychology at the University of Texas at Austin who specializes in the evolution of human sexuality. “Apps like Tinder and OkCupid give people the impression that there are thousands or millions of potential mates out there,” Buss says. “One dimension of this is the impact it has on men’s psychology. When there is a surplus of women, or a perceived surplus of women, the whole mating system tends to shift towards short-term dating. Marriages become unstable. Divorces increase. Men don’t have to commit, so they pursue a short-term mating strategy. Men are making that shift, and women are forced to go along with it in order to mate at all.”

Food for thought/

Note - If you a FO with a Lazy Bear or Low-T husband, ignore everything I say. It probably doesn't apply
"As he works on his MAP, he's going to do things that piss you off. He has to."  - Steu2817
"In a world of Alpha's there is no peace for anyone.....welcome to Somalia enjoy your stay" - Highlander2

zeroday

Comments

• LL80LL80 USASilver Member Posts: 3,309
    I read this article and linked it to some people. They said something along the lines of, "Well it's a good thing you aren't trying to date Wall Street executives in their 20s who use Tinder."  The guys quoted in the article sound like the types who aspire to be that dude from Wolf of Wall Street. They targeted an awfully specific demographic here.
    Scarlet
  • KatherineKellyKatherineKelly SeattleSilver Member Posts: 1,432
    edited August 2015

In every epoch there are those that thrive and those that perish.

The changes seem to be segregating men and women from each other in potentially dangerous ways for each gender.

I fear for the children who pay for the conflict among and between adults.

The one common denominator among adults seems to be anger in all its forms but maybe adults have always been angry from the consequences of being adults.

The changes have both freed men and women but also enslaved them because of how they use this freedom.

Here is a piece that talks about how hook up culture is to a woman's advantage.

http://jezebel.com/5937362/finally-someone-says-it-hookup-culture-is-good-for-women

I personally think sex is to precious to just share with anybody but each person must figure out what is best for them.

The problem is that the figuring out often changes a person on some fundamental level where they can never go back.

In my opinion personal fulfillment comes partly from seeing how your environment endangers you from "being in it" (the time period and culture) and avoiding these dangers.

I have largely stepped out of being a part of my generation as to doing what is considered  "normal"

No hookups, no tattoos and piercings, no drugs and addictions, no acting like a man to prove that I'm just as good as them.

You can never own yourself if all you do is follow the herd as "that herd made up of the gender you belong to" and women are particularly vulnerable to doing what the group does as to "all other women" because of the  "safety in numbers" effect.

Believe those who are seeking the truth.  Doubt those who find it.  ~Andre Gide

"If you love someone, set him free; if you have to stalk him, he probably wasn't yours in the first place."

ch102081Smashmaster
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    The difference is that with reliable birth control, women are free to be Players too.

This changes the dynamic some, but not as much as the scare articles would want us to believe.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    JellyBeanfrillyfunMiddleMan
  • RorschachRorschach "Just ask the axis ..."Silver Member Posts: 1,458
    Tennee said:
    There has always been a hook-up culture.  There will always be a hook-up culture.  You're either in it or you're not.  I assure you it was alive and well in the late 80s and early 90s, well before any 'on line' access.  The only difference now is the medium; digital presence vs. shots in a bar.  
    Maybe. But I think David Buss is on to something when he says it's a game changer in evolutionary terms. The difference in the past was that you actually had to talk to one another, and interact at least to some degree like real people. Apps like Tinder seem far more instrumentalisizing of the Other. Maybe I'm just old, but I found the article sad and disturbing on a number of levels. When the Other and sex is commodified to such an extent, what does this mean for intimacy in marriage/LTRs? 
    TenneeTPokeRico
  • dalefdalef Silver Member Posts: 1,963
    I realized that in my life, I was the one who was the gatekeeper of sex; and the women who were the gatekeepers of commitment. Only one woman blocked me from sex (with another woman); but four told me they weren't interested in marriage, and another one wouldn't even talk about it.
    ShepardRebuildingHusband
  • John3John3 SeattleSilver Member Posts: 1,396
    Fear of disease has replaced fear of pregnancy and tends to push behavior back into a conservative direction.  Look at what has happened to the gay community in the wake of the AIDS epidemic.
    The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.
    HildaCorners
  • LadyOrTheTygerLadyOrTheTyger EarthSilver Member Posts: 892
    In my experience nobody seems to be worried about disease. I've never dated a guy who had his own condoms; I had to provide them. And I usually get pushback about using them. 
    shibariTenneeKattnever_surrender
  • TedDTedD USAMember Posts: 1,587
    I'd also add that the prevalence of such apps may perhaps lead more people into trying hookups than in the past.  Meaning, more folks than before in history are likely to have at least a few hookups under their belt at some point in their lives.  A few generations ago, that number was substantially smaller I would wager.  Add it to older age of first marriage (meaning a longer stretch of time before adulthood and getting married) and you have a lot of hookup years between.
  • TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    edited August 2015
    In my experience nobody seems to be worried about disease. I've never dated a guy who had his own condoms; I had to provide them. And I usually get pushback about using them. 
    Hmmmmmm, this surprises me.  The article posted sort of hints at this lack of concern, but many quoted are early 20s college kids; back when my own risk management  strategy  consisted of slurring 'you on the pill?'   But you become more risk aware - pregnancy  and disease  - relatively  early.  I'd think that'd still hold anyway.  Of course, I think - is there that much of a  'caution to the wind' approach?

Interesting...
    "Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
  • LL80LL80 USASilver Member Posts: 3,309
    edited August 2015
    @Tennee said:
    Hmmmmmm, this surprises me.  The article posted sort of hints at this lack of concern, but many quoted are early 20s college kids; back when my own risk management  strategy  consisted of slurring 'you on the pill?'   But you become more risk aware - pregnancy  and disease  - relatively  early.  I'd think that'd still hold anyway.  Of course, I think - is there that much of a  'caution to the wind' approach?

Interesting...
    No, I'm still not having sex. But discussions with female single friends confirm that most of these guys seem remarkably unconcerned with accidental pregnancy or contracting some sort of disease and seem to think that the responsibility of the birth control falls on the women.
    LadyOrTheTygerTenneeshibari
  • TheLoneWandererTheLoneWanderer Vault 101Silver Member Posts: 106
    *facepalm*

I have condoms in my work bag just in someone finds out that we can expense hookers or Russian brides.

Sorry, not interested in another extremely cute child in the near future. I'm all stocked up.

Admittedly when my STBX and I decided to be exclusive about a month in the condoms were retired pretty damned quickly, but bareback on the first go seems idiotic.

Hell, just the 18 years of child support is enough to give me nightmares, let alone the thought of having to deal with a lifetime need for Valtrex.
    Tennee
  • TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963

Admittedly when my STBX and I decided to be exclusive about a month in the condoms were retired pretty damned quickly, but bareback on the first go seems idiotic.

Hell, just the 18 years of child support is enough to give me nightmares, let alone the thought of having to deal with a lifetime need for Valtrex.
    Exactly - an extremely poor risk management strategy.  @shibari 's right, people are idiots...
    "Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
    John3