Spinoff - hats

never_againnever_again CanadaSilver Member Posts: 1,372
In the "Hair is for pussies" thread, 

@george said:

one tip: protect the scalp man!  UV protection. And start collecting hats (James Taylor said that is every bald man's hobby).

I've stopped wearing hats altogether, because I'm not really sure what to wear that will be DHV.  What I've heard from women is baseball caps are DLV and aren't really very stylish.  I've got a Tilley hat (like the T054 here: http://www.tilley.com/canada_en/men/hats/warm-weather) that I take along on vacations because I don't particularly care about picking up women in foreign countries.  But what's a good hat for regular use that's going to look good?   Pics, if you will, please.

The man who gives his woman everything ends up with nothing. Not even the woman.
Angeline

Comments

• ZoroasterZoroaster Silver Member Posts: 735
    I have a waterproof felt fedora I wear when it's raining. I also have a white cloth hat I wear for working outside in the sun. And I have a furry hat with flaps for when it's really cold.

Beyond that, I don't spend enough time outdoors for it to matter much.

• redheaded_womanredheaded_woman USASilver Member Posts: 4,739
    I think what women think about baseball hats is completely personal preference.

For every woman who doesn't like them, there's another who does.

It also depends on the hat. I hate those hipster trucker-style hats with the netting in the back. 

But, I love a man in a nice, fitted baseball hat and sporty sunglasses.
    "Fuck yesterday, make tomorrow awesome." - Tennee
    KattforestleafWinterMsChief
  • KattKatt USASilver Member Posts: 4,554
    I am also pro-fitted baseball cap and anti trucker hat @redheaded_woman    
    LadyOrTheTygerAngelineforestleafWinter
  • LadyOrTheTygerLadyOrTheTyger EarthSilver Member Posts: 892
    Thirded.
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    And I don't care for baseball caps. A good baseball cap, worn in context is +0, a cheapie is -1 or worse.

What I suggest is to take a look at photos of 1) men whose style you admire; 2) men with a body/head shaped like yours, and see what hats they wear. They find out where they're sold and try them on.

The only thing I know about men's hats is that I don't know much ... and the subject is insanely complicated.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
  • LazyAlphaLazyAlpha Silver Member Posts: 640

Baseball caps come in a huge variety of styles, price, and value.  A new, clean, and properly fitted flex-fit or custom-sized structured hat in a good wool blend looks a hell of a lot higher value than a cheap plastic strapped, dirty, worn, torn, sweat-stained, and faded cotton or all-synthetic hat.

Colors are important.  Dark colored stay looking better longer.  Light colors and white hats are like white pants.  They might look good for one round of golf or tennis, but you need to be able to afford to buy a new one every time because they get dirty darn quick.

Proper fit, knowing where to put it on your head, and shaping the brim are all also part of making a baseball cap look good.  Generally a lower-brow style will look better, but it still needs enough structure to hold its shape.  A cliché bad look is too high of a hat too high on the head with the brim too flat.  Also bad is tilted back too far.  It should fit tight enough not to fall off or fly off for the activity.

Officially-licensed with league logos and extra embroidering on the back or sides adds cost/value to the look, but you can go too far with too much bling on a hat like any other piece of clothing.

Logos and slogans are important.  It is easy to forget what is on the hat you are wearing, but it becomes part of your face to everyone else.  Stick to ubiquitous brands or local team logos.  Blank is kind of strange though.  Avoid slogans, and low-value frat-boy themes like beer brands and spring-break locations.

Different sports and activities have very subtle differences in the style, shape, fit, etc of the hat.  Pro baseball hats are generally very different than pro fishing hats than Nascar hats, than tennis hats, than golf hats...  Wearing a hat across to a differing activity is an advanced hat style move to know if its close enough to pass. 

If you are wearing the hat to provide some illusion of having more hair than you really have, one peak underneath is all it takes to destroy the illusion, so get comfortable putting it on and leaving it on.

Baseball style caps are "athletic" wear - they need to be matched with appropriate clothing.  Can maybe stretch a bit into the "casual" range, but not really upscale.

You can wear a good, clean baseball style cap  as functional outerwear with a winter coat, but of course it comes off as soon as you are indoors.

• HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    A top quality baseball cap, worn in the right context looks infinitely better than a cheap one with a tacky logo.

But for me, it adds nothing to sex appeal.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
  • MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323
    edited August 2015
    @Chief_TC ,
    that's a nice hat. I like that style and it suits you.
    Still no to a baseball hat.

ETA Secret service style protection of third parties there by throwing editing yourself in front of what I take to be your wife and child.
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    If you want us to be unapologetically feminine, be unapologetically masculine.
    [Deleted User]AngelineTiger_Lilyspartacus
  • never_againnever_again CanadaSilver Member Posts: 1,372
    And this ^^^ is my dilemma.  Seems like it's a real hit or miss proposition.  

The problem being, my eyes are really sensitive to the sun so I like to have a hat with some type of bill to help with that.  I prefer not to wear sunglasses all the time, but I don't want to be squinty, either.

As for fedora's, pretty much any guy I see wearing one either looks foolish or like he's over-compensating.  Very few guys I've seen can really rock one.
    The man who gives his woman everything ends up with nothing. Not even the woman.
    [Deleted User]soa2005Angelinenot_again
  • KattKatt USASilver Member Posts: 4,554
    TBH ballcaps are just about the only hats I like on guys most of the time.   It's definitely a personal preference thing.   Obviously I don't like worn out or cheap ones, but a nice, fitted one on an athletic looking guy hell yes ;).  
    redheaded_womanWinterMsChief
  • redheaded_womanredheaded_woman USASilver Member Posts: 4,739
    I'll just leave these pics of Mike Trout here for ya @hildacorners
    image.jpg
    318 x 353 - 42K
    image.jpg
    1536 x 1920 - 853K
    "Fuck yesterday, make tomorrow awesome." - Tennee
    Katt
    1. Hats that are part of a uniform don't count.
    2. He'd look more appealing without the hat. And some hair.
    3. Guys young enough to be my son (or grandson, if I had had an early start) are not sexy. To me.

:D

DaddyOh
  • forestleafforestleaf At the farmGold Women Posts: 1,703
    If we're going to talk about what the ladies like, we'll have to include my celebrity crush in the conversation.

WinterAngelineTiger_Lily
  • RebuildingHusbandRebuildingHusband Southern USASilver Member Posts: 1,953
    Say "No" to hats. Unless you don't have hair. Then they're moderately acceptable. 
    give a shit and try, or go be miserable by yourself - AlphaBelle
    thisisjen
    Did someone say celebrity crush?
    Heeeere we go:

AngelineforestleafTiger_Lily

AngelineTiger_LilyCallmeCat