Guns as DHV? And Possible Purchase Options

2»

Comments

• HeisenbergHeisenberg ArizonaMember Posts: 16
    soa2005 said:
    @Heisenberg ;
    In my opinion you can't go wrong with a Glock. The difference in recoil between the 40 and the 9 is barely noticeable with a Glock. Also, with the Glock, you have several sizes to choose from. 

I haven't shot the Kel Tec shotgun but I have had misfeed issues with a Kel Tec handgun. 

Thanks SOA, My friend LOVES his KSG and has never had a misfeed. However, I have heard about those quality issues. I really liked my Glock and an sorry I got rid of it after having kids. I should have bought a safe. I now know why they say to never sell a gun. I would like a decent collection.  
    I wouldn't even bother with this silly DHV/DLV discussion. If shooting is something that you want to pick up again as a hobby then work it into the budget and get what you need to do it safely and legally (cases, locks, safes in some jurisdictions, etc.). 

As far as the specific firearms, that's entirely up to you. I've got an assortment of things but none of the specific ones you mention. I did just buy a Sig P938 that I am enjoying immensely and intend to use as my concealed carry. 
    Thanks Rebuilding. The P938 would be a nice carry piece :)
  • TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    edited August 2015
    Some more food for thought for you:

I love my Supernova.  A shotgun with a hollow, composite stock would take an aftermarket recoil reducer.  So that may be a good option for your W if she will also fire this. 

Google 'GunVault' - there are many handgun options.  You can hard mount them, etc.  Finger combo, easy open for you, impossible for kiddos, and you can do it by feel in the dark. 

One other consideration for personal defense besides weapon/caliber is ammunition type.  Many overlook this, and its very.important.  First out of my GunVault is my S&W .40.  Right now, the magazine in it has specialty frangibles (google).  If I carry outside the home, I switch mags to a more standard carry round.  I'm not sending high-heat .40s up my hallway or down my front stairs.  They will rocket through drywall, and through whatever is on the other side of that drywall.  What's your backstop?  Backstop, backstop, backstop!!!  Frangibles can help minimize this.  Its a hotly debated topic, so do your research, and make the decision once you're informed. 

BTW - welcome. 
    "Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
    AngelineEliseRebuildingHusband[Deleted User]
  • seriouslyseriously The mittenSilver Member Posts: 1,134
    Ah, a south paw.  I can see your logic now.  It's also apparent that you are looking for the tacti-cool factor here.

How realistic is it that your wife is going to want to shoot them?  Did she before?  If she isn't highly likely to shoot them all, consider designated lefties and don't worry so much about converting them L/R.  Or, consider something smaller/lighter for fun range stuff.  A good 22 can be as much or more fun for someone new to shooting.  No flinching!

I shoot longer ranges, up to 1100y.  I have a bolt gun (R700 308 in a Mcree chassis) and a highly worked over AR308.  Both have a 22lr counterpart for practice.  The kids like the 22's to play with, but so far are not interested in 308s.  Might be worth consideration with your wife's interest.

One last thought, if you intend to get back into training with your firearms (which you should) will any of these bullpups limit your ability to take classes?  I can't think of any I have taken that would, but its worth consideration.

• EANxEANx Local GroupSilver Member Posts: 509
    At one point, I was engaged to a woman who had an aversion to guns. When someone asked if there would be guns in "our" home, I said yes at the same time that she said no. I said that home security was my area and I would choose how it was performed. That after a home invasion, her job was to patch up the bad guy after I was done with him (she was a nurse).

Today, my GF has a glock in a bedside safe and when I sleep there, there's a billy club on my side. I know how to use and control firearms and was pin-point accurate with my M-16 in boot camp but in a home intrusion situation, I'm going to disagree with most firearm owners. Having had pistols pointed my way, I wasn't taking out a tape measure to see if the person was pointing a .22 or a .44 at me. When you're staring at the business end of a firearm it's oh-my-god,I'm-the-target-move! The way houses are built today, I have no desire to fire at an intruder, miss and hit someone I like or care for. My job as a home owner (or sleeping with one) is to scare away intruders, not kill them.

So if the situation involves wandering the property, I'll ask her to get the pistol and I'll go-a-huntin. Inside, I'll grab the billy club and go-a-huntin and tell her to grab the Glock and head to the kid's room.

IMO, it's not "guns vs. no guns", it's "how do I most effectively secure hearth and home?" You may use a pistol, Jackie Chan may use chop-socky and Chuck Norris may shoot lasers out of his eyes. Same result.
    seriously said:
    Ah, a south paw.  I can see your logic now.  It's also apparent that you are looking for the tacti-cool factor here.

How realistic is it that your wife is going to want to shoot them?  Did she before?  If she isn't highly likely to shoot them all, consider designated lefties and don't worry so much about converting them L/R.  Or, consider something smaller/lighter for fun range stuff.  A good 22 can be as much or more fun for someone new to shooting.  No flinching!

I shoot longer ranges, up to 1100y.  I have a bolt gun (R700 308 in a Mcree chassis) and a highly worked over AR308.  Both have a 22lr counterpart for practice.  The kids like the 22's to play with, but so far are not interested in 308s.  Might be worth consideration with your wife's interest.

One last thought, if you intend to get back into training with your firearms (which you should) will any of these bullpups limit your ability to take classes?  I can't think of any I have taken that would, but its worth consideration.

My wife liked how my shotgun looked but would never fire it. But I think she would like the other ones. I am hoping it might give me a few alpha points and also a little bit of excitement and fun.
    seriously said:

My wife liked how my shotgun looked but would never fire it. But I think she would like the other ones. I am hoping it might give me a few alpha points and also a little bit of excitement and fun.
    Oh, and can I ask about the setup you have on your AR308?
  • seriouslyseriously The mittenSilver Member Posts: 1,134
    seriously said:

Oh, and can I ask about the setup you have on your AR308?
    I'll send you a PM tomorrow.  On my way out right now.
  • OneEyedDrunkOneEyedDrunk Out West Silver Member Posts: 1,808
    Most of the time guns aren't necessarily DHV. The time I remember it being a DHV was when my wife and I were at the range together. Some of the other shooters were drooling over my arsenal as I was shooting. She just rolled her eyes, and said "That's my husband". 
    oneeyeddrunk.weebly.com
    Heisenberg
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,500
    Is the lefty-righty thing really a deal breaker? Our goal here is to be able to shoot any of our weapons with either hand.
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    Angeline said:
    Is the lefty-righty thing really a deal breaker? Our goal here is to be able to shoot any of our weapons with either hand.
    I hear you Angeline. You are right. I have taken a lot of classes (like defensive handgun/shotgun classes) and shooting with both hands was always taught. I don't know that having ambi or convertible guns are necessarily dealbreakers, but if I am purchasing and there are lefty-friendly options, I will look at those closely. Don't get me wrong. If my house was surrounded by evil Taliban overloards and I was taking heavy fire, I would grab the nearest right-handed AR15 and wouldn't notice the brass flying out in front of my face. But for target practice and having fun, I figure I will look at some lefty options that my wife can use too. I can shoot right-handed but don't enjoy it as much. Some left-handed people are fairly adaptable, others are highly left-handed and the wiring and mechanics aren't a mirror opposite of a righty, they are just different. Unfortunately I am kind of in that camp.        
    Angeline
  • r9stoner9stone MI, America's High FiveSilver Member Posts: 1,174
    Pffft, amateurs.....this is how I roll.

In all seriousness I own no firearms and probably never will. My W is completely terrified of guns so it would be a huge DLV and CMN for me to buy one and bring it home. I don't hunt but I love shooting at targets and appreciate responsible firearm ownership.

My Grandfather used to let me shoot his M-1 Garand before he sold it a couple decades ago. I loved that rifle and would love to own one myself someday. Maybe i should start an M-1 boundary pushing thread...........
    180px-Gatling_gun.jpg
    MiddleManWinterElise
    r9stone said:
    Pffft, amateurs.....this is how I roll.

In all seriousness I own no firearms and probably never will. My W is completely terrified of guns so it would be a huge DLV and CMN for me to buy one and bring it home. I don't hunt but I love shooting at targets and appreciate responsible firearm ownership.

My Grandfather used to let me shoot his M-1 Garand before he sold it a couple decades ago. I loved that rifle and would love to own one myself someday. Maybe i should start an M-1 boundary pushing thread...........
    Haha. I would love to fire some RPG's at an abandoned car in the desert if it was allowed. Way I see it is if a 9-year old Somali kid can operate one, I probably can too. But I suppose the rules are for the best. The M-1 was certainly a classic.
    Angeline
  • never_againnever_again CanadaSilver Member Posts: 1,372
    My second wife had in her online profile "no guns" when I met her.  I had guns then and kept them throughout our marriage, continued hunting and shooting and she and my stepkids even went with my on my safari in Namibia.  

She had put "no guns" even though she had never known anyone with guns, never experienced violence with them or had any other bad experience with them.  I don't even know why she put that statement on her profile but it was based completely on ignorance.

People usually react to guns poorly because they have no knowledge or understanding of them.  As with most fears, it's based on ignorance.  

I agree with the others.  It's neither a DLV or a DHV UNLESS something happens to sway her one way or the other.

In my case, as with others, it was a case of not listening to what she says, but watching what she does.
    The man who gives his woman everything ends up with nothing. Not even the woman.
    Tennee
  • 318JimmyNow318JimmyNow Dallas, TexasMember Posts: 92
    r9stone said:

I'm in the same situation and have been having this same internal discussion as the OP.

Ultimately, or maybe just for now, I came to same conclusion you did.  In the MAP book Athol talks about being yourself.  Being yourself is a DHV but doing things just because you think it's cool makes it a DLV. 

For those of us who are married and have never been into guns it can go either way depending on your spouse.  To me the most important thing is to be your authentic self and let the chips fall.

As a recovering Nice Guy it's been hard to really figure out who the authentic me is and discussions like this really help me go thru the process.
  • John3John3 SeattleSilver Member Posts: 1,396

@Heisenberg, for self defense I strongly prefer .45 acp, so having something in a .40 or greater caliber is ideal (and frangible rounds are absolutely necessary for in-house defense).  Shotguns loaded with 00 are great if you live alone in the woods with no one else around and don't mind blowing through sheetrock from one end of the house to the other. Yes, they are more intimidating, but if you ever have to draw on someone who is already in your house, you had better be ready to shoot, or you are better off with a baseball bat.

At the same time, a Ruger 22 pistol and Ruger 10 22 rifle are inexpensive, easy to shoot, help build good habits, don't make a ton of noise, and well, they're fun to shoot.  You want to build up the fun index before you move to more challenging (louder, kick harder) pistols or rifles. I enjoy shooting as much as anyone, but larger calibers are somewhat physically demanding and take getting used to.

Same thing with a 9mm...ammunition is much less expensive...about half as much as .40 or .45 acp.  Which means you can shoot twice as much.  Not as good statistically as a larger caliber, but the gun you can practice with is much better than the one you can't. And if you go for an older S&W you can save a lot of money (they are heavy and not great for carry)...and the weight makes them more comfortable to shoot.

It's been years since I fired a Glock, but I didn't like the recoil...too snappy for me. But then I was spoiled by the .45. YMMV...there are a lot of guys who like Glocks.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.
    TenneeAngelineDaddyOh