"Comment Held in Moderation"

Athol_KayAthol_Kay My Underground LairPosts: 8,046
edited September 2015 in The New Forum 101

There's been a weird bug we've had strike periodically where a comment from a long time member is "held in moderation." Except we don't hold comments in moderation and the mods can see nothing in the moderation holding cell.

What is actually happening is members who didn't verify their email address when first getting a membership, occasionally get flagged as spam. Most likely if linking off the forum in their comment. So the comments don't go to moderation, they go to the spam filter.

If this happens to you, leave a comment below or message @Athol_Kay, @Jen_Kay or @Serenity. The comment can now be fished out of the spam filter and the member verified and it shouldn't happen again to that member.

As an aside, the spam the forum faces is completely insane at this point. We're getting 100-120 spam memberships a day now getting caught in the filters.

One Hour Call   12-Week Guided MAP

"The turnaround is tremendous.  And I'm lifting weights, eating better, and tackling projects.  I have all this great energy without a vampire sucking my life force.  :)  He's a lot stronger standing on his own two feet, as well."  - Scarlet

AngelineRPG46Husband3point0ShepardVerethragnaBourneAgainPurple

Comments

• seriouslyseriously The mittenSilver Member Posts: 1,134
    I didn't get the message last night, but all of a sudden, any post that had previously gotten it, was posted.  Just FYI.
  • Athol_KayAthol_Kay My Underground LairPosts: 8,046
    seriously said:
    I didn't get the message last night, but all of a sudden, any post that had previously gotten it, was posted.  Just FYI.

Yeah I found a comment of yours on about page 13 of the spam filter. I verified your email address, which apparently fishes everything out of the spam filter rather than just that one comment.

Thanks!

"The turnaround is tremendous.  And I'm lifting weights, eating better, and tackling projects.  I have all this great energy without a vampire sucking my life force.  :)  He's a lot stronger standing on his own two feet, as well."  - Scarlet

This morning we're getting a spam membership request every 6 minutes going into the spam filters. I shit you not.

• al2682al2682 CheeseheadSilver Member Posts: 535
    edited September 2015
    Your spam filters seem real good.  Do you review for false negative (legit membership).  I would think that would take a lot of time.

We all appreciate the time and effort you put in on the forum!

post 500.  Woot woot! 
    Avalinette
  • The_DudeThe_Dude Hollywood Star LanesGold Men Posts: 4,583
    Re: Spam.  Is the Captcha working?  Can you increase its length?
  • TigerTiger SeattleCategory Moderator* Posts: 2,324
    Crazy, I was thinking about this problem the other day. What about charging $1 for a forum account that can post? One time fee of $1 for basic "can post" access. Then the spam would generate $100 a day or more likely just vanish.

Free is seldom the best price when you have something of high value to offer. Anyone not willing to spend $1 is not in enough pain to listen to our help anyway.
    Howard
    Tiger said:
    Crazy, I was thinking about this problem the other day. What about charging $1 for a forum account that can post? One time fee of $1 for basic "can post" access. Then the spam would generate $100 a day or more likely just vanish.

Free is seldom the best price when you have something of high value to offer. Anyone not willing to spend $1 is not in enough pain to listen to our help anyway.

Unfortunately Vanilla doesn't have a paid membership option.

• TigerTiger SeattleCategory Moderator* Posts: 2,324
    Bummer, is sticking with vanilla a requirement?

Or maybe just the current sweet spot in the pain/simplicity space.
  • codename_duchesscodename_duchess AustraliaSilver Member Posts: 222
    Just had one on the "Never had an orgasm" thread. Could a mod please fish it out?
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    The quotes are acting up again. It's wrapping the div and blockquote tags around everything, not just the original quote, so that the new text gets pushed up with the quoted text.
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    Angeline said:
    The quotes are acting up again. It's wrapping the div and blockquote tags around everything, not just the original quote, so that the new text gets pushed up with the quoted text.
    There's a fairly easy way around this, if you're on a computer. [I don't know if you can do this on a phone/tablet.]

Click the < / > (without spaces) icon in the comment toolbar, scroll to the very end of the quote, and start typing your comment. As long as you have at least one character typed, you can click the same icon to go back to the regular view of your comment.

What this does:  The < / > command puts you in html mode, where you see the codes that generate formatting. Scrolling to the bottom gets you past all the formatting codes, so whatever you type is outside them. And once you're past all the codes, everything is plain text again, so you can go back to the normal view.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    There's a fairly easy way around this, if you're on a computer. [I don't know if you can do this on a phone/tablet.]

Click the < / > (without spaces) icon in the comment toolbar, scroll to the very end of the quote, and start typing your comment. As long as you have at least one character typed, you can click the same icon to go back to the regular view of your comment.

What this does:  The < / > command puts you in html mode, where you see the codes that generate formatting. Scrolling to the bottom gets you past all the formatting codes, so whatever you type is outside them. And once you're past all the codes, everything is plain text again, so you can go back to the normal view.
    Sigh. Yes I know this. I too used to do web design.
    It added them to my repaired html after I fid the above steps.
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    HildaCorners
  • Jen_KayJen_Kay Posts: 374
    Just had one on the "Never had an orgasm" thread. Could a mod please fish it out?
    Done! 
    codename_duchess
  • AvalinetteAvalinette In the kitchenSilver Member Posts: 1,316
    I've got a comment stuck in Hanni's MAP thread
    I've got a comment stuck in Hanni's MAP thread

Got it. Thanks.

• mook_zmook_z Gold Men Posts: 1,267
    Just had a post eaten. May be because I "moved" it by editing it from one forum and posting it in another in a very short order.
    "you ... are right." - DaddyOh
    mook_z said:
    Just had a post eaten. May be because I "moved" it by editing it from one forum and posting it in another in a very short order.

It likely went to spam because of multiple external links in the comment.