The Make-Up Thread

Comments

• PirouettePirouette Somewhere, USAGold Women Posts: 1,539
    Other than overtaking the bathroom counter, does anyone have a way to organize it all? 

HowlAtTheMoon
  • redheaded_womanredheaded_woman USASilver Member Posts: 4,739
    "Fuck yesterday, make tomorrow awesome." - Tennee
    Persephone
  • redheaded_womanredheaded_woman USASilver Member Posts: 4,739
    @frillyfun Oh now that's a good idea!!!!
    "Fuck yesterday, make tomorrow awesome." - Tennee
    frillyfun
  • HowlAtTheMoonHowlAtTheMoon Silver Member Posts: 1,183
    I have see through plastic containers like above. Most days it is not out on the counter. I signed up for two makeup subscriptions two years ago and now have hoards of products. 
  • forestleafforestleaf At the farmGold Women Posts: 1,703
    MrsB said:
    Aestheticians who are certified eyelash technicians (I think). The prices are kind of crazy though. Have you ever tried eyelash tinting? I'm blonde, so I get my eyelashes and eyebrows tinted. It makes a really big difference. 
    I found a place in my town that does these!  They do a "natural" set for $150 and a "glamorous" set for $180.  We totally shouldn't spend this money right now, but...
    Winter
  • MrsBMrsB United StatesSilver Member Posts: 328
    DH gave me an absolutely not on the eyelash extensions. He thinks it sounds like an infection waiting to happen. Oh well.
  • MrsBMrsB United StatesSilver Member Posts: 328
    JellyBean said:
    A friend of mine does eyelash extensions and they really do look amazing. One drawback she told me -- they mess up your natural lashes so if you decide to stop doing the extensions your natural lashes will fall out and you have a few weeks of no lashes at all while they regrow. 

I use Latisse and it works great. In fact I had to back off it a little bit because my lashes were so long they were bumping into the loupes I wear for work. 

My mom uses eye drops to treat glaucoma and it caused her eyelashes to grow like crazy. Seriously she looks like Tammy Faye Bakker. 

Did Latisse make your eyes darker?
  • thisisjenthisisjen Silver Member Posts: 1,164
    @forestleaf  I have had it done in a salon for 200, but then was lucky enough to find someone who does it from her home. 75 initially with35 for fill ins usually 2 times a month.     I cannot wear mascara.  In one hour it's all under my eyes and I have tried every waterproof brand there is.... Have tried s dealer.....I don't ever use it on lower lashes ,etc.   it's a curse.   So the extensions just make it look like I have mascara on

• JellyBeanJellyBean Sunny SoCalGold Women Posts: 5,054
    I'm not sure, to be honest. My eyes are already dark brown. 
    Enneagram type 9w1
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    edited October 2015
    Did you know most makeup & skin care has a "use by" on it?

This image means use the product within 12 months of opening.

Paula's Choice has more info. I think their list is somewhat conservative, though ... pencils should be ok for years if you generously remove the exposed part, and I have 10 year old (hardly used) powder eye shadows that work great. [Though I threw out 20+ year old ones that looked bad.]

1436494560712.jpg
    250 x 303 - 28K

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    Tiger_Lily
  • PirouettePirouette Somewhere, USAGold Women Posts: 1,539
    All my makeup used to fit in an easy bag. Now I have bb cream, foundation, powder, blush, bronzer, shadow, liner, mascara and DEAR LORD THE BRUSHES! 

Really, I'm not a huge make up girl and I think I have wayyyyy less than most, but it doesn't all fit in the bag anymore and it's starting to drive me nuts.

I have issues with a cluttered bathroom. I like it all put away so I can pretend it doesn't exist.
    Angeline[Deleted User]
  • JellyBeanJellyBean Sunny SoCalGold Women Posts: 5,054
    Eyeshadows should be tossed after a few months because they harbor bacteria. 

I replace my mascara every 2 months. Eye shadows after a year. Eyeliner pencil sharpener before each use. 
    Enneagram type 9w1
    Tiger_LilyPirouette[Deleted User]
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    JellyBean said:
    Eyeshadows should be tossed after a few months because they harbor bacteria. 

I replace my mascara every 2 months. Eye shadows after a year. Eyeliner pencil sharpener before each use. 
    The ones I kept were virtually unused powders. (As in, tried once, then pushed to the back of the drawer.)

I've heard 3 months on mascara, but it should be tossed often. [If you love the brush, wash it well and use it with your next mascara.]

Anything that goes near the eyes and has any moisture content (creams, liquids, pencils ... anything but dry powders) should be tossed often.

For real info on keeping makeup safe, watch a pro makeup artist. For example, my daughter (mua in training) either buys a new tube of mascara for each client, or never uses the brush that comes with the tube, instead using one use disposable spoolies, never dipping them a second time.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    Persephone
  • frillyfunfrillyfun East PodunkGold Women Posts: 3,386
    How they determine shelf life is  they send new formulas to the lab to to do a challenge test.  The sample gets inoculated it with different pathogens, and they make sure the preservative in there is killing off the bugs, and they re-test it at different time intervals up to every month until the sample grows funk.

They do tend to err on the side of safety so they don't injure anyone.  There have been cases where inadequately preserved personal care products have caused life-threatening infections.

I'm a germaphobe about anything that contains water, or ones where you'd never notice mold (mascara), but if something doesn't have any water it's really tough to grow bacteria.  You're usually safe keeping pressed powders for 2 years.
    HildaCorners[Deleted User]