Where (and when) should I start?

MiddleManMiddleMan Chicago BurbsSilver Member Posts: 1,898
edited October 2015 in Singles
I acknowledge that it's too early to be posting here. But part of my need to know that I'm going to be OK involves thinking of being on the market again. I know that I have a lot going for me. I know that I'm a "catch." I know that I'm still married, for a finite amount of time at least.

Maybe this is just a brain dump. Maybe this is just a placeholder for later. Part of my mental energy is devoted to how my life will look as a suburban single father. Maybe when this divorce is done I'll start anew as someone other than "MiddleMan", since I'm not stuck in the middle any more. 
TenneeamblrgirlHildaCornersshibariBabyMakes5_dadJellyBean

Comments

• little_beelittle_bee Member Posts: 101
    When I (finally) divorced I discovered my kids and their schedules had an enormous affect on how I both viewed and actively lived my life while they were still at home.

The only rational sounding advice I can give is be prepared for the unexpected as your child and her current and future needs are the great unknown of your situation. 
    KattSignorePillolaRossaJellyBean
  • MiddleManMiddleMan Chicago BurbsSilver Member Posts: 1,898
    I know I'm probably missing something obvious here. But what, in this context, is "the thing"?

@Athol_Kay
  • codename_duchesscodename_duchess AustraliaSilver Member Posts: 222
    edited October 2015
    @Athol_Kay - dating = going out, meeting lots of women, enjoying yourself, maybe some casual fun or dating = going out looking for the one true love?
    If I end up single, I know that I won't be ready for a relationship, but I do intend to go out and enjoy myself - are you recommending against that?
    MiddleMan
  • JekJek CaliforniaMember Posts: 1,520
    I am on year 5 of slow.

It may be just me, but 12 years in prison, do I want to risk going back?!
    Tennee[Deleted User]ShepardAngeline
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    Athol_Kay said:
    Athol_Kay - dating = going out, meeting lots of women, enjoying yourself, maybe some casual fun or dating = going out looking for the one true love?
    If I end up single, I know that I won't be ready for a relationship, but I do intend to go out and enjoy myself - are you recommending against that?

I warn against jumping into a relationship.

You'd be surprised how often a "casual" thing suddenly morphs into the new hot and heavy relationship though. Then a few months later as the dopamine fog of new relationship lifts a little, all the red flags suddenly stop being invisible.

If you are "meeting lots of women", approximately 92% of them are looking for a relationship — and if you're looking at women over 30, that number jumps really high.

@jek, please don't remind me that I'm at 5 years as well. :/

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    Jek
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    Kiche said:
    If you are "meeting lots of women", approximately 92% of them are looking for a relationship — and if you're looking at women over 30, that number jumps really high.
    Do you have some sources to back those numbers up?

Absolutely ... not.

But of the single women I know in my age group (let's say 45-60), they either:

- want a LTR again (maybe not marriage, but some form of exclusive LTR)
    - want nothing to do with men, ever again
    - decide they prefer a relationship with a woman.

I don't know *any* women who want a "casual dating with sex" relationship with a man.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    Howard
  • EANxEANx Local GroupSilver Member Posts: 509
    It's really easy to take some  time and think you have your head screwed on straight then fall head-over-heels with the first chick that really seems into you then rush straight into the next marriage. I had nine months between our agreement to separate and when I started dating and was engaged less than a year after that (that ended four years ago). Yes, you're going to want to be close with someone, yes you'll want sex but be fair to yourself and to the women you meet. You need to mentally figure out who you are as a single and who you want to be as part of a couple if you go that route again.
  • MiddleManMiddleMan Chicago BurbsSilver Member Posts: 1,898
    I really don't think I'm ever getting married again. So this isn't as much of a present danger as it might be. 
    Tennee
  • never_againnever_again CanadaSilver Member Posts: 1,372
    I went on a few first dates then realized I wasn't ready and waited 18 months before getting back in.

I'm on year 5, too.  Some was lack of trying and some was not.  I think you're BS tolerance level will fall drastically and you'll be much less willing to settle for anything less than you deserve.

I've put the following on one of my dating profiles:

"I'm fully self-sufficient, requiring only 3 things of a partner - respect, affection and companionship.  So, a relationship is a simple equation - does the value she adds outweigh the challenges she presents?"

It may or may not account for my lack of success on that site, but I don't really care that much, since it's honest and describes my outlook perfectly.
    The man who gives his woman everything ends up with nothing. Not even the woman.
  • little_beelittle_bee Member Posts: 101
    approximately 92% of them are looking for a relationship — and if you're looking at women over 30, that number jumps really high.

As a card carrying member of @HildaCorners age and stage of life demographic I agree. 
    [Deleted User]