Winter's wondering...

WinterWinter The Island of MisFit ToysGold Women Posts: 955
Being happy with yourself vs the MAP

When I recently cut out a huge (self induced) stressor in my life I found myself feeling content. It's not my usual state of being. If anyone remembers my previous MAP thread you know that I want to 'have it all' and 'be everything'. 

And now over the past couple of weeks I'm finding myself actually enjoying my day-to-day life. Even the mundane boring things are calm and peaceful. 

It turns out that being a 'quitter' actually feels freeing. It's like I realize that I can quit and still be ok. Still be a good person. Still be happy?   

And this is where my internal struggle starts. I feel happy with myself. For the first time in a long time. I actually feel good about just being me.  But isn't the MAP about ongoing improvement? Striving to be more? To be better? 

So, I seem to have lost my focus and drive and I'm not sure where to go from here.  Do I need to try and be 'more' or is it ok to finally like myself where I'm at? 

MissMissyMagnumKnifesEdgeEliseHowlAtTheMoon[Deleted User]Tenneemaverick

Comments

• KnifesEdgeKnifesEdge midwest USASilver Member Posts: 75
    edited November 2015
    @Winter I wish I could find a part of my life to cut out and remove stress. Unfortunately, that part would be my job... and I'm not ready to retire at age 57. Working 70+ hr weeks drains me. I don't feel like exercise, don't have a libido, gain weight, and just long for a day off. Which comes about every two weeks. Of course, my level of devotion to what I do is part of my problem.

You have found a way to make your life better. Good for you, and I am very envious!
    RorschachMiddleManElise
  • SignorePillolaRossaSignorePillolaRossa mid atlantic usaSilver Member Posts: 4,079
    yes, achieving contentment is a beautiful thing

so now you are in a phase of consolidation and rebalancing and simply enjoying the new happy normal

and you have the tools to identify and correct things that might crop up slowly over time as you live an introspective existence ... you may well find over time that you have energy to pursue something new that catches your fancy - you will be ready to explore it now that you are operating from a stable base

onward!
    Sr. PR

============================
    sapere aude

Fuck Culture. Live your life - Beatrice
    ============================
    WinterMiddleManTenneeamblrgirl
  • WinterWinter The Island of MisFit ToysGold Women Posts: 955
    You're an Enneagram 7, right?
    Yes

Working_Itthisisjen
  • CowboyCowboy In the South, USASilver Member Posts: 1,994
    I am not familiar with your earlier MAP thread (can't find it, sorry), but would I be right in guessing you're a perfectionist?
    I'm one, and it is very hard for me to ever admit defeat, or even that I let something bother me.
    Being "better" doesn't mean "perfect," "good at everything," or even "successful in other people's eyes." It just means improving yourself, in all spheres of your life, as best you can. Honestly, if a MAP is, long term, making you miserable, you should scale it back. Even the best MAP in the world will not turn everyone into a 9 or 10, but it can bump you up from where you are. Being at peace with is certainly better for your actual long-term happiness than being miserable because you can't have it all.

"Men were designed to hunt mammoth. You need to go find your mammoth." --Serenity
  • WinterWinter The Island of MisFit ToysGold Women Posts: 955
    I'll have to do a proper update soon. Overall things are good, but this season is proving to be difficult. I've disliked the holidays for a long time and this year isn't any different. On this Eve of Christmas Eve I'm feeling really low. My focus is to put on a happy face for the kids and get through to the new year.  I can totally do that.   

Then I can resume freaking out about my upcoming birthday in February which frankly makes me want to just crawl in a hole.

:s 

MariaamblrgirlTenneefrillyfun
  • frillyfunfrillyfun East PodunkGold Women Posts: 3,386
    For someone who doesn't love the holidays you rock at them...ours are happier because of some tricks I've learned from you.

Getting older really beats not getting older.
    MiddleManBeatrice