CartB4Horse's MAP v 1.2

Comments

• TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    As people bring things up you jump all over them, sometimes doing things and sometimes not. 
    ^^^  QFT.   Not beating on you my man, but this is an absolutely spot-on observation.  And I'm putting it first before you chase lifting down the rabbit-hole.  I'm not saying to not lift, quite the opposite.   Just make sure this is one of the Monkeys - not the focus-du-jour.  Soon, lifting will become just another part of the day. 

Now, on to lifting:

Knowing RBH as I do, his routine is going to have lots of core, compound lifts peppered throughout it.  These are the foundation of strength:  Deadlift, Back Squat, Barbell bench press, Barbell over-head press, Barbell Row, and Pull-ups/Chin-ups.  These are the 6 bad-boys that build your core strength and power - everything emanates from these.   

You can certainly substitute - Dumbbell Military press vs. BB OHP, etc.  I use DBs frequently in my 4-day split.  But if I can use a BB with pates, I do it a lot.

I think SL 5X5 is a tremendous place to start.  Its simple, consists of 5 of the 6 core compounds above, and is an easy A/B 3 Xs a week routine to follow.  

And start slow and low man.  Hell do air-weight body motions for a couple times at home first - get your form down.  Have Cart Jr. watch / film you, and switch off.  Form, FORM, FORM!!!   Get this right, then go low with weights - don't worry about squating 3 plates in 3 weeks crap - low and slow. 

Get your form right, and get started.  And watch how rapidly y'all build up strength and muscle.  From there, expand to more complicated things.

Not saying RBH's routine can't work right out of the gate - it can.  But, especially for Cart Jr, knowledge is power.  Following a routine is one thing - and a good thing.  But understanding why Squats do what they do, etc. - that knowledge forms the foundation for a lifetime of lifting.

I wish I'd read Rippetoe's book when I was 17, because it would have given me a foundation much earlier to build on. 
    "Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
    RorschachCartB4Horse
    Oh, as for a gym - mandatory equipment:  barbells, lotsa and lotsa plates, racks - plural.  DBs up to 100, 120 is better.  I don't use anything above that, but you can find gyms with DBs that are insane.  Personal preference. 

RorschachCrashaxeCartB4Horse
  • CartB4HorseCartB4Horse Southwest USASilver Member Posts: 4,155
    MissD said:
    Any progress on the family's 'state of the union' address? (Finances, chores, the familes goals?)

Don't get sidetracked into the minutiae of exercise - just do it and fine-tune from there! Maybe the two of you would benefit from a 12-week boot camp style challenge? (Tons of them on offer where I live.) And it'll get your basic fitness level up while you figure out your strengths and weaknesses and then go from there?
    @MissD - My wife and I talk about finances much more frequently now that we have (ever) in the past.  It's been hard for me to have some of these conversations due to Nice Guy issues but it is getting easier.

Chores are getting taken care of.  Not exactly how I'd like them but everything gets done with all four of us helping out.  DD has taken over most of the Laundry Detail, son does the lawn work and taking out trash cans, both kids help with cleaning up after the dogs and other items as they come up and get delegated.

Put back on course via a 'One Hour Call' with Athol.  Seriously worth 10 times the cost, but don't tell him that....

“Between stimulus and response, there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.” - Victor Frankl 

IrishGypsy
    Thank you for posting that again Angeline, I re-read the posts and realize they are both spot on.

@Tennee - I completely agree with what you wrote.  I'd read an article regarding Rippetoe and the basic core excercises.  I've also downloaded an app that has Strong lift 5x5 and think Jr. and I will start there, work on core strength and form, let the weight build up over time. Besides, I want to be able to walk the next day!

Put back on course via a 'One Hour Call' with Athol.  Seriously worth 10 times the cost, but don't tell him that....

“Between stimulus and response, there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.” - Victor Frankl 

TenneeIrishGypsy
  • nubbynubby Right HereSilver Member Posts: 1,964
    @CartB4Horse walking the day after isn't really too much of a problem. It's the day after that when the DOMS like to visit. 
    CartB4HorseTennee
    Right?

I've been there before, went at it like an 18 year old and, well, could hardly walk....

I won't do that this time.  Nice and slow, work on form, nail it and add weight gradually. I don't need to lift a ton in the next month or so.

TenneeLenny
  • zookzook melbourneMember Posts: 333
    Another vote here for starting strength 5x5. There is an app available which is great.

****Start light, and focus on form.****

that can't be emphasised enough. 

TenneeCartB4Horse
  • MissDMissD On your leftGold Women Posts: 111

Money and Material Stuff:

Work has leveled out except for a new bump in the road that I'm working on resolving today.  Continue to gain momentum with my income, close sales per my business plan. I won't go into too much detail online as I want to keep what I do under wraps.

Does Mrs.C know about this bump and your plans to address it?

This very well be my own experience talking, but financial security is hug.  I suspect you could garner yourself a lot of 'points' in several categories by tackling this straight on - and sharing, inviting input from her.

Not just this 'bump', but laying out a solid plan (ideas?) for 6 months from now, 1, 5, 10 years, retirement etc.

And for me, the 'plan' doesn't involve unnecessary risks like playing on the stock market. Just saying...

WinterTennee
    edited December 16
    I'd still love to see @RebuildingHusband 's routine, either here or on the Workout thread...

After 6 - 12 months on 5X5, Cart will be ready for more advanced territory

CartB4HorseCharlie
    Okay, Monday is Monkey Day, so here we go:

Diet - Limit Diet Coke intake, no more than 3 per day during the week. Find something better to drink, water works.  Also, drink more water, at least 8 glasses while at the office.

Work - I filled in wifey on most of whats going on with work and told her I am actively looking for a new job.  Part of what is happening (speed bump from last week) is a major claw back where my company is charging me a large sum of money.  I'm fighting this now with my managers assistance but don't know how it will turn out.  Monkey in this regard is to look for a new job while continuing to keep my head in the game here.

DHV/RC - Take DD shopping for a gift from her to her mom. At the same time I can pick up something for both DS and my wife. On a second trip, take son so he can pick up some stuff for wifey, DD, his mom and his Grandmother (mom's mom whom he lives with the other 50% of the time).

Angeline_ioGracey
    I found out yesterday about the forum shutting down.  Very sad to see it go after all that it has done for me.

I found NMMNG and soon after this forum.  Bought and read the books and started MAPing.  This forum and Athol's work not only gave my marriage a chance, it gave ME a chance.

I'll MAP on.  I believe 2017 will be full of movement, either good or bad.

Thank you Athol and everyone here for all your help.  I hope we meet again on our journey.

TenneeBlueWolfGraceyAngeline
    @CartB4Horse I hope you join us over @HildaCorners refugee camp. There's already 45+ of us camped out. 
    BlueWolf
    @nubby - I sent her a message, hopefully I'll be over there soon!

Also, I can be reached at CartB4Horse180 at gee mail dot com.  Drop me a line anyone!!

I'm officially a Refugee!

nubby
    MissD said:

Money and Material Stuff:

Work has leveled out except for a new bump in the road that I'm working on resolving today.  Continue to gain momentum with my income, close sales per my business plan. I won't go into too much detail online as I want to keep what I do under wraps.

Does Mrs.C know about this bump and your plans to address it?

This very well be my own experience talking, but financial security is hug.  I suspect you could garner yourself a lot of 'points' in several categories by tackling this straight on - and sharing, inviting input from her.

Not just this 'bump', but laying out a solid plan (ideas?) for 6 months from now, 1, 5, 10 years, retirement etc.

And for me, the 'plan' doesn't involve unnecessary risks like playing on the stock market. Just saying...

@MissD - Your point was spot on.  My 'bump' was/is more of a crater that I may not be able to get out of.  I was avoiding telling my wife about it; I was afraid of her reaction.

This morning I told her everything, all the gory details about what happened at work.  I also told her what my plan was, what I was doing to work thru this.  I can't believe how well I handled this.

I also uncovered a HUGE RED, one of @nubby proportions.  I am afraid of my wife. I've been pretending not to be, trying to fool myself.  NMMNG all over this and I intend on hammering away at my new Elephant.

LittlejoeTooEarlyTooLate
    @CartB4Horse the list over there is getting quite substantial. 
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    Dude lol. We've been telling you that since you got here.
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    try_red_pill_ioTooEarlyTooLate