Forced the issue 2nd vehicle - did I handle this wrong

mrsthingmrsthing New YorkMember Posts: 258

So..for about 4 years my H refused to let us buy a second car. We live in a rural area and you can do absolutely nothing without a car.  I worried that if there was an emergency, we'd be screwed if say, he had the car and I needed to take the dog to the emergency clinic. It was starting to get ridiculous as he works away from home more and needs the car more.  The final straw for me came when he called me on a business trip and told me I had to postpone my return as well as cancel a dr's appointment I had a few days later b/c he needed the car!

What I did then was immediately go online and find a suitable second vehicle.  Then I emailed it to him, called him and said something along the lines of "I feel that we need a second car.  I have done the research (I'm a gearhead so this wasn't hard) and think that this is a great car and a great deal.  Here are the upgrades that we need to have to protect it from weather damage etc.  I am going to go to the dealership to check it out when I get home.  I would like for you to come with me."  To which he said yes, and we purchased an even nicer vehicle that same day!  Not only that, he told the dealer over and over again "sell to her.  this is going to be her truck.  she needs to choose."  It is actually a pickup truck, which is a practical vehicle for our lifestyle.  Yes, I'm a chick driving a massive pickup and I'm sure many people are shocked to see me climb out of the driver's side in my heels.

But I'm wondering - did I Captain him when I should not have?  What I did worked and he is thrilled with the truck beyond words.

JellyBeanNeverSleptOnTheCouchHildaCornersShepardamblrgirlTiger

Comments

• mrsthingmrsthing New YorkMember Posts: 258
    edited November 2015

@frillyfun I have to do this A LOT.  My husband has Aspergers which for him means that he has issues with spending money. He doesn't want to spend money on any large items, ever, no matter how necessary they are.  We literally have to be almost in emergency status for him to be okay with it and I have to step up.  I dislike it, and yes, attraction killer big time.

That said, I don't think it is all Aspergers, I think it is partially how he was raised.  I have never in my life met anyone as frugal as his mom.  Shockingly so, to the point that she wears shoes and clothes with giant holes in them.  And she's insanely proud of using that one teabag for months (okay that's an exaggeration but not far off)!  At one point I actually told her I was going to throw her shoes away (she was walking in a downpour with those holey shoes, feet soaked) and buy new ones, and that made her do so.

I grew up poor.  There's nothing I hate worse than people being so frugal when they are financially ok b/c I really had holes in my shoes and no choice in the matter.  I really had to do without many essentials b/c we couldn't afford them.  I worked very hard to change my life.  I don't get this behavior at all.

At one point, my H suggested we move into a trailer to save $.  Nothing wrong with living in a trailer but I make a great living, we live below our means as it is, and again I had to take the lead here and tell him this was not necessary.  I was SHOCKED that he was even serious. He told me that if I wasn't in the picture, he'd 100% be living in a trailer and saving like there was no tomorrow. Of course without me, there'd be a lot less money coming in, but he still would not need to live in a trailer.

@frillyfun - I'm sorry that I post all over the place.  I agree 100% he needs to come up to my level.  I also could create a GO plan very easily - I rent another room in an apartment in a city I travel to frequently for work, I could just move there.  I have good income.  Most assets are in my name.  We don't own a home.  No kiddos to worry about.  I'm not young (mid 40s) but I do think if I wanted another partner, I'd find one. I'm a lot more confident now. This is of course, not what I really want.  I want to try to stay.

I agree with you and @Scarlet that I should have stood up earlier.  And I know exactly why I didn't.  I was badly abused as a kid, and in several really bad relationships.  The bad is familiar to me.  But things were not always bad.  My husband didn't used to be a beta schlub.  He was a perfect balance of alpha and beta.  I didn't know those terms at the time, but I think this is what I fell in love with.  He captained our relationship and did it well.  He was the breadwinner then but I also made good $.  We had a lot of fun and I think things were just easier.

Four years ago I began to be very depressed. We moved out of a city to a rural area - which is something I actually always wanted but then things went south. New memories of my childhood abuse started coming back.  I could barely drag myself out of bed, but I had to work b/c I was the only one making $ - my husband had another business that was making $ but not enough yet.  It was one of the low points of my life.  My husband had to really take care of me.  I was so unhappy and desperate.

When that ended - my husband was like a shell of his former self.  He said to me how although he was happy to "have me back better than ever" that he no longer knew how to respond to me.

I have tended to choose a beta schlub guy over and over.  My husband wasn't this way at first, but now he's like the others.  I know why I did this - for one thing, I wanted to be with someone "safe".  My college buddy used to say I went for "namby pamby" guys.  I did so b/c I didn't want an alcoholic, drug abuser, criminal who beat me - my mom had all of those, often rolled into the same guy.  Her husband raped me for years, I was raped by others too.  I had boyfriends who hit me, were very possessive. Sometimes these seemingly harmless guys turned out to be very abusive.

I think back to my college days when the guys who were attracted me were the alpha male types.  I mean, the guys that every girl wanted. My roommate used to joke that there was a line outside our room and that they were not lining up for her.  I had zero self esteem - the whole thing was shocking.  I could not understand why any of these guys wanted me.  I rejected many of this type of person b/c I was scared - also, I wasn't really up for being sexual or having another super possessive guy.

After college I was in another abusive relationship but then with help from a therapist, I got out.  I dated some really good guys, finally met a really good guy and we were together for a few years.  This guy was no schlub - he was good looking, smart, talented and interesting.  He was wanted me back for years but he broke my heart so badly and I'm scared to even talk to him again, I keep putting him off. 

Things all changed for my H and I after we got married.  My H was no schlub either but I'm afraid he's a namby pamby guy now.  My fault I'm afraid. :(

@Scarlet I 100% agree with you.  I just don't know how to stop orbiting him.  I'm not sure.  I have read the books over and over.  What now - I just control everything?  Make all decisions?  If so, what use is this whole marriage?  I need an equal.  I did not want to have kids, I don't want to raise my husband!

I did decide one thing - I want him to get work.  I make more than enough to support us and he is starting a business (which I am involved in) but he can certainly work part time.  He's very accomplished and could easily find something.  I told our counselor this just now in an email. I am fully prepared to walk if this does not happen.

I have also decided that I will hire an assistant to help with my own work.  I actually asked HIM if I could do this and I realized WTF I am asking him?  I need to ask my accountant if there's money for this - and I do think she will says yes.

• HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    I'll relate this back to your Aspergers thread.

From what I've seen, your husband will *never* be a top quality Captain. Not all men can be Captains ... and it sounds like he just doesn't have the ability.

This doesn't mean your marriage is doomed. As long as he is still attractive to you, you can make things work. He may be able to Captain in the bedroom, or he may have an area of expertise that blows you away, but an Aspie is unlikely to be an all-around top-notch Captain.

So, you'll have no choice but to take the lead sometimes. If you give him reasons, he's likely to follow, or even lead on that one issue, as happened with the second car.

Aspies tend to resist change, and also to be low dopamine (or very, very high, but that's not your husband). Old clothing is comfortable, and known ... new clothes mean a shopping trip and may feel weird. So old clothing it is.

As I said in the other thread ... you have to understand your needs so well that you can set your own limits and boundaries, make them clear to your husband, and be prepared to take action if he can't meet them. [Remember, it's not "won't", but "can't." the ability may just not be there, just like a blind man can't experience a rainbow.]

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    frillyfun
  • CowboyCowboy In the South, USASilver Member Posts: 1,994
    For what it's worth, I don't think it was a bad idea to take a more firm stand on getting a second vehicle, and to start pushing him on other changes, too. However, I think it would have been much better to have a frank discussion about it, and get him on board. The one you describe it, you were going to make a very large purchase without his input if you didn't get your way. Whether you were right or not (and it sounds like you were) this can lead to really bad blood. From my perspective, he WAS being the Captain by insisting on only having one car...he thinks he is being frugal, and keeping the family financially afloat. From his point of view, he was taking care of things just fine, and you took matters into your own hands.
    It turned out ok, but I think it would have been much better to make a STRONG case for the second vehicle before going to the dealership. Buying a car isn't the same thing as buying a new sweater.
    Plus, be careful what you wish for...if you start taking charge of things, you may find yourself less attracted to him. I obviously can't speak to this as I'm not a woman, but I've watched it happen several times before.

Years ago, my wife complained to me that the bed in our spare bedroom -- as in the bed that no one slept on normally -- had an uncomfortable mattress. Her grandmother was coming to visit for a few days, and she didn't want her to be uncomfortable during her stay. I checked into how much it would cost to replace the mattress, found out it was actually a few hundred dollars, and decided Gram would not disown us over having to sleep on a mattress that was 20 years old. Money was fairly tight at the time.
    My wife then called the furniture store without my knowledge and ordered an entirely brand new bed (not just a mattress) for Grandma to sleep on for four days. Being my wife, she of course ordered something high end instead of a basic model, because nothing is too good for Gram.
    I was furious. When I asked her about it, she said "You didn't take care of this, so I made an executive decision and took care of it myself." From her point of view, she was fixing a problem I had ignored. I was livid that she had made a major purchase she knew I would object to, wasting money on something that wouldn't be used more than a few days a year. And, yes, I felt emasculated. That #*@! bed was a source of arguments for months.
    "Men were designed to hunt mammoth. You need to go find your mammoth." --Serenity
  • stillasamountainstillasamountain CT, USASilver Member Posts: 521
    frillyfun said:
    Cowboy- I think you missed the part where she's the primary breadwinner.  He doesn't work other than at his startup business, and that this has been an issue for 4 years.
    Not to mention, it's pretty obvious that this is a need... not a frivolous vanity item.

“She was 3/4 perfection and 1/4 broken glass.”

ScarletKattMariaSignorePillolaRossa
  • stillasamountainstillasamountain CT, USASilver Member Posts: 521
    mrsthing said:
    H was very open actually, he told me he was glad that I was so straightforward about my needs.
    The silver lining in all this is that he seems receptive to the 2x4's. It might even be a relief to be given a rigid checklist? Just a thought.

“She was 3/4 perfection and 1/4 broken glass.”

AngelineHildaCornersHannelore
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    Straightforward and rigid are very welcome things to many Aspies.

I've been surrounded by a lot of Aspergers in my life ... one husband, several relatives, me, the other kids in a special ed program one of my kids was in (my kid wasn't Aspie but had similar issues). As a 5w4, I research everything to death, so have read a lot about Aspergers as well. I've applied what I learned.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    I try to make a lot of positive comments.  I know it is very hard for him.  It was such a delight to toss out the jeans that were several sizes too large!!!
    Angeline