Just got notice someone hacked my super-private data from the govt...what can I do?

CowboyCowboy In the South, USASilver Member Posts: 1,994
I just got a letter from the U.S. government that my personal data were among those stolen by hackers. The information they stole was for a security clearance, so the hackers have basically every piece of information on me:  all my demographic info, every address I've ever lived at, the names of all my relatives, my mom's and grandma's maiden names, all my schools, etc. Even digital images of my fingerprints were stolen.
This isn't just someone stealing my social security number; the thieves could probably get into almost any system or account of mine with what they have. I've been given a phone number to call to talk to someone, but I have little faith it will do me any good. What can I do to protect myself and find out if someone is opening accounts with my credit history?
Tagged:
"Men were designed to hunt mammoth. You need to go find your mammoth." --Serenity

Comments

• SaigoTakamoriSaigoTakamori FLSilver Member Posts: 3,075
    OPM and DSS are on it.  Go to the website and enroll.
    Sweat More...bitch less
    Fate favors the prepared.
    TenneeSmashmaster
  • SignorePillolaRossaSignorePillolaRossa mid atlantic usaSilver Member Posts: 4,079
    happened to me to
    just follow the directions
    Sr. PR

============================
    sapere aude

Fuck Culture. Live your life - Beatrice
    TenneeCrashaxe
  • redheaded_womanredheaded_woman USASilver Member Posts: 4,739
    @cowboy Just stopping by to say holy shit you didn't need this and Internet stranger hugs!!!
    "Fuck yesterday, make tomorrow awesome." - Tennee
  • Frank_LondonFrank_London in transitSilver Member Posts: 1,853
    If you're talking about the major government breach from a few months ago (and I think you are), then it's not criminal "hackers" who've got your data, it's a certain foreign government.

They're unlikely to rack up restaurant bills and vacations to the Caribbean in your name.
    SignorePillolaRossaSmashmaster
  • mrsozzymrsozzy texasGold Women Posts: 1,950
    I just got this notice too. :( It's in my maiden name,  so it must be from a background check from 18 years ago.
  • PhoenixDownPhoenixDown TejasGold Women Posts: 10,632
    Yeah, I got that too. I don't want to be a part of this exclusive club. 

mrsozzy
  • SignorePillolaRossaSignorePillolaRossa mid atlantic usaSilver Member Posts: 4,079
    not all that exclusive, actually ... more identities are in that database than trees in Maine
    Sr. PR

sapere aude

Fuck Culture. Live your life - Beatrice
    EANxSmashmaster
  • RedPillNeophyteRedPillNeophyte Silver Member Posts: 185
    not all that exclusive, actually ... more identities are in that database than trees in Maine
    Awww, I wanted to be a special snowflake!
    SignorePillolaRossaPhoenixDownSmashmaster
  • dalefdalef Silver Member Posts: 1,963
    I got the notice, too. Unfortunately, I've heard the company that got the contract for the security breaches isn't very good. (The one that got the contract for the day-to-day OPM breaches is.) OPM had very poor security. But, yes the US government has said that a foreign government had the data.