new triage for new relationship

13»

Comments

• AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,500
    Oh goodness, use extreme caution advising someone of a "better" way to raise their kids, unasked.
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    HildaCornersSignorePillolaRossaMrsJonfrillyfun
  • forestleafforestleaf At the farmGold Women Posts: 1,703
    Instead of trying to find out from her how the kids like or dislike you, assess that for yourself.  If you have not made much effort to get to know them and spend time with them, now would be a good time to do so.  No Herculean/over-the-top efforts necessary, just spend some time chatting with them, asking about school, finding out what their interests are, etc.  Are you shy yourself?  It seems like you might be waiting to see how the relationship with the kids pans out rather than making any effort.  You're the adult, after all. 

Every relationship you can imagine (marital, romantic, parental, friendship) requires maintenance and effort.
    SignorePillolaRossaJellyBean
  • Frank_LondonFrank_London in transitSilver Member Posts: 1,853
    edited December 2015
    Instead of trying to find out from her how the kids like or dislike you, assess that for yourself.  If you have not made much effort to get to know them and spend time with them, now would be a good time to do so.
    I have actually made a prolonged and consistent effort to get along with her kids. Joan tells me that my efforts have worked.

Her son is mildly autistic. to put it in context, he's not exactly rain man - he is a normal student in regular classes at a regular local high school, with no teaching aids or anything like that; and he plays basketball. In fact, Joan thinks he probably no longer meets the diagnostic criteria anyway. But he is pretty quiet. But I think Joan's right; I get on fine with him.

The daughter has a boyfriend, a good social circle, and is generally an extrovert. She has Joan wrapped around her finger. Joan likes to think that her little girl is "shy", which is fine, she can think that if it makes her happy. I don't tell her otherwise.

So I guess I have an okay relationship with her kids.

But on reflection, what might be driving my insecurity is this: even though I live there, I have no status or power in her household. Just to pick an example, I don't feel that I could complain to them about the appalling state of the kitchen which the kids sometimes leave it in (and I end up cleaning up); or forgetting to walk the dog (leaving me to do it). I don't feel like a member of the household. I'm still just a guest.

And I don't really have a sense of my role is with them. We don't do any activities together ("they're teenagers, they don't want to hang out with us" says Joan); and her kids do pretty much no chores or tasks around her house. They don't have much to do with us, they just come and go and do their own thing.
    Guitarslingerforestleaf
  • JellyBeanJellyBean Sunny SoCalGold Women Posts: 5,054
    I feel for you. You're not in an easy position.
    @Geekengineer may have some insights for you  
    Enneagram type 9w1
    edited December 2015
    So my ex hadn't called or contacted me for a week.

I called her to discuss some schooling and xmas issues. And also to find out how she was, because I suspected it wasn't good.

She's in a very bad way. Extremely depressed. It was a 30 minute conversation.
    She said "I didn't realize how big a part of my life you were I you cut me off."
    She hasn't left the house in two days, and is "starting to have bad thoughts again" (code for suicidal thoughts).
    X: "You're the only one, Frank, you're the only friend I've got. I don't have family, I don't have any other friends...." (unfortunately, this is true!!!)
    She reminded me that Joan originally was fine with me having a friendship with her, and even agreed to meet up with X and have a drink or something.
    X: "Something's changed in the past month. I didn't realize Joan was so insecure."
    X is correct. Joan has changed her tune, and does want X cut out of my life, but partly because she has learned about all the BSC things that X did in the past.
    Also, X has recently lost her (new) job that she was so excited about, so she's depressed about that too.

As always, after she had a chance to rant and complain, she calmed down a bit.

Obviously, I'm not going to talk to Joan about it. I did feel really bad for x though.

Up thread it was observed that I'm her social worker. And yes, I am... but given that state of affairs, can I really just abruptly cut her loose? I don't think I can. I need to manage her out somehow.

edited December 2015
    I hear you Jellybean, but the thing is:
    I am her only support network.
    She is not really a fully functioning member of society right now.
    I am effectively her social worker. She's reliant on me, and I've allowed that situation to develop. So I guess I feel a certain amount of moral responsibility.

Even while my relationship with Joan blossomed, it wasn't a problem; things only went bad in the past few weeks, particularly after Joan and I decided that X won't be part of our new life from about mid next year onwards (when we move into a new house and maybe have a baby). X was never told about the decision, but nonetheless, she's upset about Joan wanting her cut  out.

Joan and I had a few conversations about this and somehow X has deduced or picked up this information quite accurately.
    x called later to talk to my son. She took the opportunity to speak to me and apologize for earlier. She was in a much better frame of mind.
  • soa2005soa2005 United statesSilver Member Posts: 631
    You're feeling bad for your ex and trying to watch out for her but who's watching out for you? The longer this drags out the more likely it is that your ex will continue inserting herself into the new relationship. If this goes unchecked long enough or if the new boundaries aren't made clear enough then the chances of the new relationship being successful are pretty slim. 

Being nice or kind hearted is good and all but at what price? Kind of a "fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me" type of thing.
    AngelineJellyBeanKattScarlet
  • SignorePillolaRossaSignorePillolaRossa mid atlantic usaSilver Member Posts: 4,079
    yeah, we'd be telling Joan to GTFO if she were here

handle your ex if you want a solid stable shot with Joan

it's your glaring RED, captain.

onward, with courage !

fair winds and following seas
    Sr. PR

============================
    sapere aude

Fuck Culture. Live your life - Beatrice
    ============================
    KattAngeline
  • ScarletScarlet Category Moderator** Posts: 7,542