Nubby's 2016 map reboot

Comments

• TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    I know some of y'all that live in Hoth up North use sunlight / Vitamin D lighting.  Worth investigating?  
    "Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
  • nubbynubby Right HereSilver Member Posts: 1,964
    I am saddened by the news of the forum closing down. I tried unsuccessfully to contact @HildaCorners. So I'll throw out one of my little used email addresses. I really want to try stay in touch with as many from this group as possible. If you want to shoot email back and forth you can contact me at troubled113@gmail.com
    maybe @HildaCorners will contact me (hint hint) so I can joint in the new forum. 

I'm still going to drop by here daily until I'm unable to do so. 
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    You've been contacted. :)

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,500
    I'm sorry you're so sick! Don't mess around with strep. There are some antibiotic resistant strains, so take all your meds and go back to the damned doc if it flares up again!

Re "new forum": Please understand that it isn't an officially sanctioned, MMSL forum, but Hilda's personal forum. MAP advice without Athol's oversight has the risk of quickly devolving into some really bad echo chamber advice, just like we saw here with default yes and hard no forumism screwups. Coaching with Athol or Serenity is the best path to successful MAPping if you get stuck. 

I hope you'll keep working to reduce your on call time and overall workload, and remember to play and have fun with your wife. Best of luck to you and your family, nubby. <3
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    ScarletIrishGypsy
    @Angeline I'm on day three of ten with my antibiotics (Amoxicillin). The sore throat is pretty much gone but still lingers. I will follow Dr's instructions and finish the meds. 

I realize the forum @HildaCorners is setting up is not affiliated with mmsl. I want to remain in contact with all the good people from all over the world I have come to know on this forum. I think everyone that does go there wants the same thing. We are a virtual community soon to be virtual refugees. @HildaCorners is offering a place for us to gather and I am very grateful for her efforts. 

I think there are plenty on this board that feel the same. I come here to gain insight and accountability. I dressed up nice yesterday and put on a nice cologne just to feel better. My wife accused my of trying to drive her nuts. She is really missing the intimacy, both regular and sexual as am I, but I will not risk making her sick. 

The on call time is one out of three weeks. Some weeks there are no calls, other weeks crazy seems to show up several times. It's more just luck of the draw. 

My wife and I are making plans to do more together now that our girls are old enough to take care of themselves for a day or two. She has been looking more and more to me to provide some excitement and I'm now in a place where I'm able to deliver. 
    HildaCornersCallmeCattelyni
    Damn!! The coldest day of the fucking week and my furnace has to go for a shit. A quick poke around inside the beast and found the hub of the exhaust inducer fan broken away. I took it apart, took pictures of the broken part and any numbers on it and used epoxy to re-attach the hub to the fan. 

I'm hoping this repair will last long enough for me to get the new part tomorrow. 
    LennyTenneeHildaCorners
    edited December 20
    It took a week long vomiting next week's meals virus for me and Cdr. Awesome to kick the habit. April 2 will be 4 years for us. For us the need to be fidgeting with our hands was a way bigger factor than the nicotine. Best of luck to you. 

Also, a smack to the head for not bringing this up when we discussed cpap, snoring and sleep issues. Nicotine is a stimulant, dammit!

Oh, and it's a dick softener. 

Grrr. 
    Fucking elephants.
    Remember to play!

IrishGypsyamblrgirl
    And testosterone reducer.
    Remember to play!

nubbyamblrgirl
  • CartB4HorseCartB4Horse Southwest USASilver Member Posts: 4,155
    If what Angeline said isn't enough....

My dad used to smoke.  He smoked for 35+ years and then stopped on October 1st a few years ago.  I've admired his ability to do that, stop.

I've also known I had that same ability, to stop when I wanted to.  I stopped drinking four months ago, cold turkey.  It's easier than I thought it would be.

You got this nubby.  Smoking won't know what hit it.

Put back on course via a 'One Hour Call' with Athol.  Seriously worth 10 times the cost, but don't tell him that....

“Between stimulus and response, there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom.” - Victor Frankl 

Angeline
    edited December 20
    Holy wow, I want to smack you so. much. I keep thinking of issues you've had that are exacerbated by smoking. GAHHH! Diabetes. Snoring. Money! Sluggish/low T.

FYI, I don't know anyone who uses an e-cig who has successfully quit, because it doesn't address a bunch of the underlying reasons people smoke. I do know 3 people who started e-cigs the same month I quit. They all still smoke. The nicotine addiction will pass in a week or so and after all, you kicked a giant caffeine habit really well.

But beyond the physical addiction is -

- the social break, to get a breather, to leave a room or party or restaurant and hang out with other "rebels". I must have heard it hundreds of times- "all the fun people are out here!" which leads to the next one -

- The "cool" factor - stop-smoking programs get this wrong in trying to pretend it's anti-cool to smoke. Maybe in a generation or 2 it will become true, but our generation is steeped in that idea. So accept it, and fight it knowing your hamster might try to fuck with you at some point by playing the cool card.

- what to do with your hands. We had to stop playing darts for awhile, those two things were so tied up in each other. Be aware of places and activities that will make you want a smoke.

One last time, especially with this piece of news, PLEASE find some kind of new fun, creative, flow things to do with your wife, beyond home improvement and sex. That will be a big part of not needing to smoke.

Dammit, @nubby!
    Remember to play!

TenneePen_and_SwordHildaCorners
    @Angeline I think I'm kinda fucked up. When in social situations i.e; Christmas party, visiting friends or just going to a restaurant. I rarely will go out for a smoke. Even years ago when smoking was allowed in restaurants, I would always specify non smoking. 

I started smoking when I was 11. 41 years is a hard habit to break. I think once my wife decides to quit, things will get easier for me. I can watch her smoke and I don't have the urge to take one and join her. The last one I had gave me heartburn. 

I'll tell you one thing, getting this out there is what I needed to do. I know I can count on being held accountable to stay off the cigarettes. I really feel bad for not sharing this. I feel I have not only let myself down, but I've let down everyone that has read my threads. This sucks but now I have something to focus on and overcome. 
    AngelineCartB4Horse
    edited December 20
    You aren't fucked up, you just didn't want to quit. That is the single biggest predictor of success, not what method and certainly not how many years. My mom smoked for over 60 years. Cdr. Awesome smoked for almost 40. They both just stopped, cold turkey. Don't let that number get in your head.
    Remember to play!

CartB4HorsePen_and_Swordamblrgirl
    P.S. my mom just had her 75th birthday Thanksgiving weekend.
    Remember to play!

Pen_and_SwordamblrgirlHildaCorners
  • SerenitySerenity Senior Moderator** Posts: 11,358
    @nubby  Surprisingly enough, most of the studies tell us that smoking doesn't actually decrease testosterone. Alcohol does, but not smoking.

Of course, there are obviously 1001 other reasons to stop.

Have you considered trying Wellbutrin to get you over the hump? Nicotine acts on the dopamine centers of the brain and that's why you feel so crappy when you give it up.

Wellbutrin also acts on the dopamine centers, so it can help you during the cessation stage. 

It also has a positive effect on libido for most people, and there's a tendency to lose a bit of weight with Wellbutrin.

Are you taking 50,000 IU's of Vitamin D? That's probably the most effective way to avoid colds/flu's. 

Incidentally, Vitamin D can also boost T levels.

http://hightmarriage.com/it-boosts-your-t-levels-and-1001-other-reasons-to-take-your-vitamin-d/ ;

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20219962
    Angeline
    Awesome - glad to be wrong about the T! Thanks, @Serenity

But quit anyway!
    Remember to play!

@Serenity I tried a prescription year ago (bupropion) I was fine for two weeks then started back up. In that two weeks I had some pretty crazy dreams. The patches were ok, but they left big red spots all over me. The gum made me want to puke. 

Using the vape I have one container of juice @12 mg. nicotine and a couple at 6mg. The guy at the shop asked how much per day I smoked and suggested over 20mg. I figured being sick for a week and barely smoking, I would be able to comfortably start at a lower level and I was right. I actually find the 12mg a little strong. 

I'll finish it up then drop to 6mg then to 3mg then to 0mg and mix if necessary. I feel more comfortable vaping as I only get a shot now and then and not constant like the patch. It also keeps my fingers busy momentarily so I'm slowly getting used to not fidgeting constantly.

I'm going to do this.

My Dr is amazed that I still have text book blood pressure (120/80)and no heart attacks. I plan on only improving moving forward. I'm sure the folks in the refugee camp will hold my feet to the fire. I'm counting on it. 
    Angeline