Supplement testing

LothbrokLothbrok vaSilver Member Posts: 310
Found a really interesting non for profit website that tests popular supplement.  They test for accuracy and effectivness.  Can sort by best value and top quality.  I was horrified to find out my daily vitamin had watch list ingrediant.  And that I was over spending on protein and creatine.

Labdoor.com
RorschachTenneeozzySerenitymaverickUnBetaMeMr_BrownLeticia

Comments

• SerenitySerenity Senior Moderator** Posts: 11,358
  • maverickmaverick Member Posts: 471
    @Lothbrok said:
    And that I was over spending on protein and creatine.

Wait for the deals on those and stock up.  I got 10lbs myprotein whey concentrate for 66$.  They are one of the highest rated companies on that site.  Creatine should almost be negligible.  I wait for deals on bulk beta-alanine, citrulline malate, and BCAAs and mix my of pre-workouts for pennies on the dollar.
    TenneeRorschachUnBetaMe
  • RebuildingHusbandRebuildingHusband Southern USASilver Member Posts: 1,953
    maverick said:
    @Lothbrok said:

Wait for the deals on those and stock up.  I got 10lbs myprotein whey concentrate for 66$.  They are one of the highest rated companies on that site.  Creatine should almost be negligible.  I wait for deals on bulk beta-alanine, citrulline malate, and BCAAs and mix my of pre-workouts for pennies on the dollar.
    You mix your own PW?
    give a shit and try, or go be miserable by yourself - AlphaBelle
    maverick said:
    @Lothbrok said:

You mix your own PW?
    Yes, most of the commercial ones are horribly underdosed for whatever vasodilator they employ (arginine, citrulline, etc), BCAAs, beta-alanine, and have way to many stimulants that I just don't need.  I bought my last batch from nutraplanet.  The BCAAs were so cheap (1kg at 20$) that I do question the purity.  Other great site are myprotein and bulksupplements for large quantities of single ingredients.  The one commercial pre-workout that I would 100% endorse is Pre-gym based on the ingredient profile but it is a little pricey. 
    Tenneecdddd
  • RorschachRorschach "Just ask the axis ..."Silver Member Posts: 1,458
    maverick said:
    @Lothbrok said:

You mix your own PW?
    I do as well. Cheaper. And know what I'm getting. 
    Tennee
  • RebuildingHusbandRebuildingHusband Southern USASilver Member Posts: 1,953
    So... Natural follow up... Recipe? 
    give a shit and try, or go be miserable by yourself - AlphaBelle
    Tennee
    edited January 6

Product Total
    NutraPlanet Beta-Alanine × 1
    Size:

200 g

$16.99
    NutraPlanet Betaine Anhydrous Powder × 1
    Size:

200 g

$8.25
    NutraPlanet Citrulline Malate Powder × 1
    Size:

200 g

$12.99
    NutraPlanet BCAA’s Instantized × 1
    Size:

500 g

$12.99
    Subtotal: $51.22

I added 300g creatine I already had.  1.4kg = 100 14 gram servings ~.60$/serving.  Just had to wait for the sale.  Sometimes I take 21g serving, so more like a buck.  I see they changed from betaine anhydrous to HCL which isnt absorbed as well.

Check the serving size on the commercial ones... all this plus six others with sugar and caffeine with 6 gram servings at least 1$ per pop....
    TenneeRebuildingHusband
  • LothbrokLothbrok vaSilver Member Posts: 310
    Yeah my pre workout is a cup of strong coffee.  Everytime I try pw I get too jumpy and can't sleep.  I workout on the later side

I have been using the bulk creatine listed on the site for a few weeks.  I can tell a huge diff in my muscle tone and recovert.  Think it was $18 for enought to last me a year.  Still using up some old protein.

WheelManRorschach
  • cddddcdddd ChicagoSilver Member Posts: 225
    edited February 13
    Was the site examine.com?

Creatine is the worst offender, a $30 oversized canister that's... thirty servings. So much filler. Get a 2kg bulksupplements bag off amazon that'll last all year. 400 servings for what, $16?

Tennee
  • codename_duchesscodename_duchess AustraliaSilver Member Posts: 222
    There's an interesting Nova documentary on supplements ( though health focused) - http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/frontline/film/supplements-and-safety/

• Mr_BrownMr_Brown east coastSilver Member Posts: 3,636
    I agree with the labdoor recommendation. They don't have everything, but they're legit. They don't accept any money or samples from the company. They buy their samples off the shelf and if they find anything suspicious they report it to the FDA. They report on the quality and bargain value of the product in comparison to what the company says they have on the label.
    Been an uphill battle, both ways, in three feet of snow, with newspapers for shoes, but I'm a better man for it!
    Tenneemaverick
  • HowardHoward EuropeSilver Member Posts: 618
    Anabolic Men. Great & sober, no-sell info on supplements (and diet) especially to gain strength, boost T & DHT. 
    "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
    "Do more of what you love."