Trapped in a cycle

2»

Comments

• RebornReborn LondonGold Men Posts: 2,987
    I'm with @Beatrice. The following may not be good advice, but it is my reaction.
    If someone did that stuff to me, I would move the fuck out immediately and be very cautious about ever speaking to them again. It's insane and it's making you insane.
    Enneagram type 5 w6. 
    If I offer lots of advice, it's probably really me giving advice to myself. That always seems to happen. 
    HildaCornersBeatricesoa2005JellyBean
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    I'll agree with Beatrice & Reborn ... your wife sounds BSC. Hopefully, it's something you and she can work on.

[Note that the three of us are various flavors of 5s.]

You need to set boundaries and enforce them. Your wife keeps testing, you need to keep your limits rock solid.

You should not have gone back home after saying you'd sleep in the hotel. Sleep on the lobby sofa if you must.

If she asks "Do you want sex?" reply "I always want sex" and completely ignore any response from her other than "Let's do it now."

But it's clear she needs help. She's got a lot of craziness she's pushing on you, and she needs help processing it.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    BeatriceRorschachPersephone
  • 446446 ArkansasSilver Member Posts: 648
    1) I think you need to prioritize a normal sleep cycle for your toddler. At over a year, they should be sleeping through the night most of the time. Our special needs child didn't sleep through the night until 6 months old. The others were younger.

2) I would suggest the book "When I Say No. I Feel Guilty." If MMSL and NMMNG are great strategies, then WISNIFG, is your book of tactics. The broken record technique is useful professionally for me as well.  It will help you learn to apologize once and not again. 

When I apologize, I state what I'm apologizing for. Then I say why it's a problem. Last, I say what I'm going to do about it in the future. 

If I get a "blast from the past" attack, I say "I already apologized for that and I am/will doing XXX about it."  I have repeated that up to 10 times.  (Also don't do the thing again.)
    AngelineScarletBeatriceamblrgirl
  • craigdfcraigdf northSilver Member Posts: 32
    Thanks for your suggestions. The kid normally sleeps well. This week we've just been sick.

I'll definitely read WISNIFG.

Today she seemed open to reconciliation. I've said some hurtful things (nothing worse than she's said to me, but she's very sensitive of course). I apologized. She asked if I meant it. We had this discussion before. She told me once that she didn't mean something hurtful she said. I said that I believe she meant it in that moment, but doesn't anymore. She was very adamant that that's not the case. I was adamant that it was the case. So now she asks, if I meant it and I said I did, but don't anymore. She says she can't get over it.

446, you say to be willing to do x to avoid making the same mistake in the future. For me, it's basically saying hurtful things in anger. I don't know how to avoid that. It takes a lot for me to get to that point, but with her I repeatedly get there. If I leave the house to calm down, she'll feel betrayed as well. So I either hurry her through words or through absence which is construed as abandonment. What other options do I have to not explode when I'm angry and feeling treated unjustly.