Salary Negotiation - Possible New Job

MagnumMagnum A Good PlaceSilver Member Posts: 431
I've contacted about a possible new position.  It would be another in-house counsel role, in my field, and in my town.  Title-wise, it would be a step up.  If I'm offered the job, I want to maximize my salary - something I've not done a good job of in other job moves.  I am by no means in a hurry to switch jobs - my current gig is nice, but I could see some strategic advantages to moving.

So, some questions:
1.  Should I delay disclosing, as long as possible, what I currently make?  If so, how do I politely put that question off if I'm asked it during the initial interview stages.

2.  I'm expecting a sizable bonus (20-30% of base) to be paid this spring from my current employer for 2015 work.  Is it a reasonable request to ask the potential new employer to either cover the bonus or delay my start date until I've received my 2015 bonus.

3.  How much should I reasonably expect a new employer to bump my salary to cover the "trouble" of moving?  I'd hope for at least a 25% raise.

4.  Any other strategies I should consider?

Thanks.

"Stop aspiring to be anyone other than your own best self: for that does fall within your control."

Comments

• TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    1.  Should I delay disclosing, as long as possible, what I currently make?  If so, how do I politely put that question off if I'm asked it during the initial interview stages.

I've always been pretty upfront, without putting a specific # on it, about where I am.  Timing is important though:  I make 'em go first - 'What is the salary range for this position', they should have no problem putting a range on the table - if they do, that's a red flag to me. 

2.  I'm expecting a sizable bonus (20-30% of base) to be paid this spring from my current employer for 2015 work.  Is it a reasonable request to ask the potential new employer to either cover the bonus or delay my start date until I've received my 2015 bonus.

Absolutely you put this on the table - along with ALL other aspects of your current compensation.  401K match, pension, bonus, company perks (car, whatever) etc.   That's a negotiating item for you. 

3.  How much should I reasonably expect a new employer to bump my salary to cover the "trouble" of moving?  I'd hope for at least a 25% raise.

Its not necessarily about 'bumping' your salary - its about understanding the requirements, responsibilities, and work load for the new position.  Total hypothetical - if this new position is a 'senior manager'  role, and that is generally a 'X-Y' range, but you make S, and S is 50% less than that position's normal range, than you want the 50%.  Don't short-sell yourself.  This is part of why you get the salary range out of them first.  

4.  Any other strategies I should consider?

You're in the cat-bird seat, you like your current gig.  Therefore, they're selling themselves to you, not the other way around.  Negotiate like that, from a position of strength.  Not asshole, strength. 

Thanks.

"Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
    BlackwulfUnBetaMeEliseRorschach
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    "I like where I am, and though your job seems interesting, I would not consider making the move for less than a XX% increase."

Do factor in all your compensation, not just salary. Make the XX% high enough that you would feel good about leaving your current job for the new one.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    Elise
  • mook_zmook_z Gold Men Posts: 1,267
    You don't ever have to tell them what you used to make. That's your business, not theirs. That said, telling them what you want to make is fair game and a reasonable question.  They and you need to know if you're on the same level. My last company couldn't match what my current company is paying. There's no way.

"you ... are right." - DaddyOh
    UnBetaMeHildaCornersRorschach
  • MagnumMagnum A Good PlaceSilver Member Posts: 431
    Thanks everyone. Good advice. I have a call with the internal recruiter tomorrow morning. My previous contact was with the person that this job would report to.  

It it sounds like a good opportunity so far.  Without giving away too much, it's a fortune 100 company in the financial services industry.   This position would be AGC supporting a wholly-owned affiliate that operates in my field. 
    "Stop aspiring to be anyone other than your own best self: for that does fall within your control."
    TenneeEliseHildaCornersPersephone
  • VandyVandy Silver Member Posts: 29
    Your obligation to tell them your current salary is about the same as their obligation to tell you what the prior holder of the position was paid.  For the most part, neither has anything to do with what needs to be done. 

Talk about the comp package you'd expect to move.  Everyone knows you are getting a bump, but how much is neither here nor there.   
    UnBetaMeMplsRS
  • RebornReborn LondonGold Men Posts: 2,987
    Vandy said:
    Your obligation to tell them your current salary is about the same as their obligation to tell you what the prior holder of the position was paid.     
    Oh, that's interesting, I'd never thought of it that way
    Enneagram type 5 w6. 
    If I offer lots of advice, it's probably really me giving advice to myself. That always seems to happen. 
    UnBetaMeEANx