Always Felt So Homely- HELP!

Comments

• beribbonedberibboned caMember Posts: 359
    Oh, I want to pinch those cheeks! Hard. And I'm heterosexual so I imagine guys looking would want to do more. Hair layered, lip gloss, mascara, sexy (but keep it quirky) dress will signal you want to be looked at. Go where the kind of guys you might like are and shop. Evaluate guys with your eyes and ears very frankly. If they look good to you, think about how good and look again. And again! Guys even very sexy guys have to be encouraged with looking and smiles. 
    SignorePillolaRossa
  • CharlieCharlie Earthquake country Silver Member Posts: 442
    Ditto all the above. You have a very nice figure and face. An attractive hairstyle would go a long way - in the full body shots it looks like you didn't do anything with it. Paying a good stylist to show you how to do your hair would be a great investment. Get new frames or contacts. 

Oh, and throw away that shirt you're wearing in the shots of your face, or keep it only for yard work. It's frumpy. You don't do frumpy any more. Even if you live alone and go to bed alone, start wearing something attractive to bed, with fabric that feels good on your skin, and you'll feel more sensual and attractive. It will help with changing your "I'm homely" mindset, which is your biggest obstacle. 
    SignorePillolaRossaMplsRSPersephone
  • dalefdalef Silver Member Posts: 1,963

You may want to get a personal shopper at an upscale store to show you an attractive outfit for work and another for going out.

I agree that the problem is mostly in your mind. I had one date with a woman who always seem to hide how attractive she was; don't be that girl.

• BettyBetty Member Posts: 11
    Wow, thank you all so much for the advice and kind words! It really means a lot to me.  I'll try to respond to all the major points individually, but there's a lot of great advice and it will take me a while. I promise I'm not ignoring anyone!

@LadyOrTheTyger, thank you for the recommendation!  I actually tried this hairstyle today, on top of wearing a bit of makeup, heels, and more flattering clothing (dark red tank top with a black shrug).  I definitely got a few looks, but I kept finding myself tugging the shrug closed and pulling up the neck of the tank.  Gotta work on that.

@nubby @Angeline I've been trying this out for a while with women, but I always seem to get so self-conscious with men and I always walk away kicking myself for not talking more, even when they talk to me first. I need to stop being afraid of looking like an idiot in front of other people.

@HildaCorners, Lisa Eldridge's videos are really great!  I always feel it's hard to follow make-up tutorials because they seem to suppose I have so much more knowledge/equipment than I actually do, even when they're designed for beginners.  I've been using celebrity before and after photos as inspiration to keep trying, lately. They really do give me hope.

@growingafamily, I think I have a pretty good idea where most of my insecurity comes from, and identifying that and trying to move away from it has gotten me to the point where I can feel comfortable enough to even try improving.  And yeah, the green dress is gorgeous! :)

@markymapo I know in one of those pictures I was trying hard not to laugh ('cause I felt awfully ridiculous talking selfies in my pajamas...) so I might have been frowning a bit to compensate.  I have a couple friends that I occasionally go out with, but not often, and all my hobbies are by nature very solitary.  I have a very hard time meeting new people.  I never know where to start.

@Maria, I really love those hairstyles, especially the last one!  It's kind of funny, my eyes are one of my features I've always been really self-conscious about.  It was part of why I opted for glasses over contacts.
    AngelineamblrgirlMaria
  • SaigoTakamoriSaigoTakamori FLSilver Member Posts: 3,075
    @Angeline  said:
    "RE feeling like an idiot for being shy - don't forget that many guys will find that cute and endearing and will want to protect you. A sweet, shy smile will take the place of a thousand words, if you can at least take a peek at his eyes or face before looking down. Heck, women  practice 
    that shit because it's like catnip. If you can't work on speaking yet, then try to work on body language. Turn your shoulders and your knees toward the person who's talking to you. Reach out and make a little touch on the arm when you laugh. Peek up at them if you can."

Practice that shit
    Ba Bam
    Sweat More...bitch less
    Fate favors the prepared.
    Tennee
  • Frank_LondonFrank_London in transitSilver Member Posts: 1,853
    edited February 3
    What a great problem to have. 

Your pictures remind me of one of those movies where some hot hollywood star has to spend the first half of the movie looking unattractive. You know, hunched over with a cardigan or something. It's obvious the actor is actually hot but that they are working hard not to be. (also this applies to just about every actor in the TV show, "the Big Bang Theory." Have a look online for celebrity snaps of those 'nerds' in real life).

Top priority is your hair. I'm not an expert and neither are you, so go talk to an expert.  Hairdressers are the experts on this topic. This is what they live for, so go find one and let them help you.

Glasses could probably work for you but somehow those ones don't seem to create much magic. 

Your clothes are fine... they are vibrant, exude personality, and most importantly, advertise your great body. Also I suspect you are using your dress style as a signalling device about the sort of people you are interested in. 

But as Athol said - let's hear more about you!
    JekTennee
  • MangueMangue FranceMember Posts: 74
    Smile, make eye contact, show happiness.
    Yeah more easily said than done, but it need to be done.

When you feel lonely and sad:

1. I feel the love of those who are not physically around me.
    2. I take pleasure in my own solitude.
    3. I am too big a gift to this world to feel self-pity.
    4. I love and approve of myself.

Sweat More...bitch less
    forestleafTenneeJellyBean

When you feel insignificant:

10. I am a unique child of this world.
    11. I have as much brightness to offer the world as the next person.
    12. I matter and what I have to offer this world also matters.
    13. I may be one in 7 billion but I am also one in 7 billion.

Sweat More...bitch less
    AngelineJellyBean
    edited February 3

When you are around strangers:

42. I am beautiful and smart and that’s how everyone sees me.
    43. I take comfort in the fact that I can always leave this situation.
    44. I never know what amazing incredible person I will meet next.
    45. The company of strangers teaches me more about my own likes and dislikes.

Sweat More...bitch less
    Angelineforestleafamblrgirl

When you want to do more with your life but feel stuck:

77. I attempt all – not some – possible ways to get unstuck.
    78. I seek a new way of thinking about this situation.
    79. The answer is right before me, even if I am not seeing it yet.
    80. I believe in my ability to unlock the way and set myself free.

When you can’t stop comparing yourself to others:

81. I have no right to compare myself to anyone for I do not know their whole story.
    82. I compare myself only to my highest self.
    83. I choose to see the light that I am to this world.
    84. I am happy in my own skin and in my own circumstances.
    85. I see myself as a gift to my people and community and nation.

Sweat More...bitch less
    AngelineJellyBean

Not Dead Can't Quit
    Sweat More...bitch less
    amblrgirl
  • forestleafforestleaf At the farmGold Women Posts: 1,703
    @SaigoTakamori what are these from?
    EliseJellyBeanHildaCorners
  • JekJek CaliforniaMember Posts: 1,520
    Betty said:
     It's kind of funny, my eyes are one of my features I've always been really self-conscious about.  It was part of why I opted for glasses over contacts.
    This kinda popped out at me because your eyes are very attractive.  

Maybe get contacts, but wear glasses that make you comfortable?  That way you can buy more without having to get the prescriptions.  And have someone at the glasses store help you pick out some frames that match you, because your choices may be based on your shyness.

I have never been shy, but you can start by talking to people that you dont want to have a conversation with.  I frequently talk to pretty much every person at the any store, gas station, starbucks line, whatever, lol.  Anyone that enters my 6 foot radius, knows I am there.  If you are not concerned with the outcome of the conversation, you cant mess it up, right?  

The other day, in the produce section, I started knocking on the bananas.  A lady was standing next to me and was watching me with a frown.  I said," Isnt this how you are supposed to check to see if they are ripe?"  and slight pause and she started laughing.  It was a silly simple interaction, no harm done, and we chatted about how they had rearranged everything blah blah blah.  but I really couldnt fail, because it didnt matter.

TenneeamblrgirlAngelineHildaCorners
  • TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    Hi.

I'll echo Jek's comments above - something I have also recommended many times here.  These are Zero Risk interactions.  Talk to people.  The garbage man, the security guard, the toll booth cashier, the bank teller, the kid with 127 piercings making your sandwich.  Engage them - smile.  Say something funny.  Whatever.

Practice.  Make eye contact.  Smile. 

Lather, rinse, repeat.  This will help kill off that Shyness. 

Welcome aboard.   
    "Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
    JekfrillyfunMaria