IrishGypsy's MAP - "Ah Go On!"

1101112131416»

Comments

• Adam_SAdam_S Queenslander!Silver Member Posts: 1,893

A couple of random thoughts.

You say you don't know if you want to be around somebody who is primarily attracted to money and status. Do you think it might be possible that as you become more comfortable with your own status and success that those feelings might change?

With your daughter, I'm a bit like you in that I have far more boundaries with my daughters than my wife does, who basically just buys them whatever they want. They also love spending time with me because I'm an awesome Dad. I'm also pretty modest too ;)

With my two it's quite easy to do some daddy things with them because they're quite high energy kids that love doing rough and tumble things. I'm not saying that the solution with your daughter is to spend an afternoon throwing her into the swimming pool but it would be good to find something daddy daughter specific that you can do that's different to what she does with her mum. It sounds a bit daft but my eldest loves going to the hardware store with me. We go and get some ice cream from the café and usually there is some kind of kids arts and craft stuff to do but mostly she just likes a bit of one on one daddy daughter time.

"But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love." - Bill Hicks

IrishGypsyLenny
  • IrishGypsyIrishGypsy UKSilver Member Posts: 407
    @Adam_S In all honesty, whilst I fully appreciate status and power's place as a brand of attraction (and how it speaks to the lizard brain of providing comfort for a woman and her kids), it still seems, to me, a fairly shallow reason if it's your *main* brand of attraction.

I'm genuinely proud of my wife's career achievements. But I personally couldn't care less if she was a doctor or someone who worked in a factory. As long as they're a genuine person who genuinely enjoys my company (and I don't think I'm *that* unlikeable), then we can build on it from there.

I've taken my daughter to try Taekwondo and then Rock Climbing on Sundays (just the two of us). Usually when our son is sleeping at about 10am, so my Wife gets some quiet time and me and my D get some quality time together.

She doesn't really get on well with the rock climbing (too lazy), so I'll look at planning other activities for the two of us. Maybe swimming together whilst the weather is shit over the winter (yay for UK weather!)

I do agree that my patience/frame can be short with my daughter and it's something I need to work on. I'm just scared she won't apply that amazing brain of hers as she's extreme smart and switched on. She's WAY ahead in her years for reading and doing really well on her spelling. But as soon as she gets home, her hearing switches off and she can't be arsed. Which does push my buttons.

My RED to work on.
    amblrgirl
  • Adam_SAdam_S Queenslander!Silver Member Posts: 1,893

My daughter sounds a bit like yours actually. She works really hard at school but she's not always keen to do anything outside of school, particularly spelling which she hates. She's very strong willed and independent too so trying to drive her simply doesn't work. You have to learn to lead her instead. For my one, a combination of rewards and praise and showing that you value, say, spelling works far better than trying to force her.

Her teacher suggested that we work on her spelling over the summer holidays so what I'm going to try is to get her some nice new exercise books with superhero pictures or something on them and some new coloured pens which she always loves. I'll agree some kind of sticker chart/reward kind of deal with her and we'll see how we go. It may or not work but I know for a fact that if I were to try and force her she'd absolutely hate it and would try everything she could to get out of doing it.

"But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love." - Bill Hicks

IrishGypsyfrillyfun
    edited December 15
    @Adam_S Sounds a bit like my wife! The apple never falls far from the tree! The joys of being the Captain eh?
  • RorschachRorschach "Just ask the axis ..."Silver Member Posts: 1,458
    For sure work on being less short with the D and doing more things with her, but I wouldn't get my shorts in a knot over being less lenient than your W. I am certainly much less lenient with my D on most things than my W (I never, ever negotiate or make promises), and in talking with other dads I know it seems pretty common.
    Adam_S
  • frillyfunfrillyfun East PodunkGold Women Posts: 3,386
    I read this article this morning...we're definitely going through some parenting things right now, and I found this helpful:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/31/opinion/sunday/how-to-raise-a-creative-child-step-one-back-off.html

IrishGypsyamblrgirl
  • TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    edited December 15
    @IrishGypsy - most of what I hear up there ^^^ is raw energy, at least it would be for me. I've used negative energy for most of my life, being driven when people tell me I can't do something.

I also see that YOU know the real score.  If wifey cheats again you won't respond the same way again, right?

I'd kick the fucking apple cart over @Tennee Style if I were you.
    I agree with @Tennee on that. The applecart *will* be upset. But it'll need to happen at a gradual pace. One.degree.at.a.time.

It will give my wife time to process that the changes are real and permanent.
    Following up on this.  Yeah, I set the apple-cart on fire and kicked it, sending it careening down the street until it crashed at the bottom of the big hill in Tenneeville in a smoking heap.  Read several of my early threads and you'll get the flavor.  In retrospect, that was pure Godzilla/8w7 me doing my (earlier) normal thing - smashing tanks, breathing fire and wrecking downtown Tokyo until you win.  It likely wasn't very smart, and could have had very bad repercussions. 

For starters, it worsened already bad things, like the D Word being bandied about.  W telling me she's going back to work so she has 'her own money' just 'in case'.  Talking about living back home for a while with Kiddo, which lead to "The fuck you're taking our child away from me" conversation.  Bad, bad Mojo.  These were not good times.

Now, for SR, I think there was parity between us (then and now) and perhaps it is/was tilted in my favor - I was the primary bread winner then, I have a very solid, great-paying, DHV job, I'm not too awful on the eyes, etc.  So, I was in a position of strength from which to set the apple-cart ablaze.  That is very important.  I don't know if it was truly a Phase 4 or not, maybe close.  I certainly - and bluntly - stated I would not tolerate a sexless, roommate marriage.  The.End.  I was in a position where I could, frankly, pull this off.   Again, there was certainly a better way - MAPping on myself first, making me so Awesome she'd need sunglasses to to look at me.   Fix you first, right?  Some really smart Kiwi keeps talking about stuff like this.

When that fails, yeah, its time for Phase 4.  Look, I've told many folks here 'you gotta upset the apple-cart' and I mean it.  More importantly,  you have to understand WHEN its time to upset the apple-cart.

I quote Churchill and Sun Tzu a lot here, time for another one from The Master: 

"Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat."  - Sun Tzu. 

That might have been me - a lot of noise before defeat.  If you're not in the right place, read:  SR, Reds, Monkeys slain, etc. -  to upset the apple-cart and demand change via a Phase 4 and beyond - well then, that's just a lot of noise before your defeat. 

IG needs to get himself to a place where, if he decides its time to really destabilize things, he can pull it off.  That can be a slow process for some, rapid for others.   Or you can be like me, and just start wrecking things and see what happens.  I don't recommend that for the faint of heart.  Or those with some intelligence. 

He's on the right path now.  He needs to stay that course. 
    "Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
    RorschachIrishGypsyCrashaxeCartB4Horse
    So, today's lessons learned are:

1). Stick to poster paint when it comes to painting a kid's hand (for a hand print). I used water-based acrylic paint on my son's hand and whilst it came off easy in small amounts, I had to use a micro-fibre cloth to scrub the rest off. This also included his hair, face, neck and ears. Doh!  :s

2). Laquer spray stinks! My 'Bane' dust mask works better than I thought. Once I took it off in the garage the smell hit me like a ton of bricks!

3). Dry acrylic paint *indoors* as the cold garage has meant I couldn't apply the varnish to the height charts as they're not 100% dry yet. I'll take them indoors tonight (in a warm room) and apply the first coat before I head to bed and then apply the second coat in the morning.

4). Keep frame better. Raised my voice at my wife this morning when I tried to get inside the front door (to take our son to nursery) but as I opened the door I hit him on the head. She blamed me (even though I can't see through wood and she knew I was outside and needed to come back in). I blamed her and called her a "silly woman" in a raised tone. Not my finest moment, but her lack of forward thinking was disappointing.
    CartB4Horse
  • CallmeCatCallmeCat DownsouthSilver Member Posts: 236
    What a awesome thoughtful gift. 
    Shepardamblrgirlfrillyfun
  • EANxEANx Local GroupSilver Member Posts: 509
    edited December 22
    4). Keep frame better. Raised my voice at my wife this morning when I tried to get inside the front door (to take our son to nursery) but as I opened the door I hit him on the head. She blamed me (even though I can't see through wood and she knew I was outside and needed to come back in). I blamed her and called her a "silly woman" in a raised tone. Not my finest moment, but her lack of forward thinking was disappointing.
    To your son: Hey kiddo <hugs> are you okay? Everything good?

To your wife: Woman! This boy reaches back to the caveman days. He is tough, he is ready. <gently bonks him on the head> He is ready for the trials!
    TenneeIrishGypsyCrashaxe