Had a heart attack.

Athol_KayAthol_Kay My Underground LairPosts: 8,046
edited March 28 in The New Forum 101

I had a fairly bad heart attack early on Thursday morning while I was asleep. @Jen_Kay called 911 on me and I got the full alien abduction experience. I vaguely remember the ambulance ride, I remember chewing aspirin, I remember some nice but misguided attempt to get me to sign consent forms, I remember getting my groin shaved by some dude, I remember throwing up. I woke up in UCONN Health Center's ICU covered in EKG leads, three IV's and mortified I was missing my coaching calls. I'm told that they went in through my right wrist and placed two stents near my heart.  

One day in ICU, two days in cardiac step-down, I'm home now. I have cardiac rehab lined up, lots of meds, and all purpose cleared for work and being alive. I am pretty tired though.

Looking back it's easy to think about missed warning signs, I just thought I was under enormous stresses and while flirting with burnout, the end seemed in sight. The last six weeks had actually been very productive for Jen and I. I've had 72 hours to lie on my back thinking about why now, why us, why this, when all that's left for me to do is shoot a 90 second promo video for the next video series and do a big round of editing on the next book.

I know I'm meant to have a blinding new insight into life, the universe and everything after a near death experience. In many ways I don't. The plan I had on Wednesday night when I went to bed is the same plan I have today. More books, more videos, escape to a warmer low tax state just as soon as youngest goes to college. I still want to save marriages and heal the rift between men and women. I'm probably going to be less tolerant of people getting in the way of what I'm about, and more tolerant of just about everything else.

I'm hoping that this is all just a bad Thursday, rather than getting a few minutes of extra time tacked on to the end of the game.

One Hour Call   12-Week Guided MAP

"The turnaround is tremendous.  And I'm lifting weights, eating better, and tackling projects.  I have all this great energy without a vampire sucking my life force.  :)  He's a lot stronger standing on his own two feet, as well."  - Scarlet

HildaCornersfrillyfunforestleafMrsJonTenneenever_again[Deleted User]BeatricePersephone[Deleted User]MariashibariPen_and_SwordQuiet_KayakHappyTrailmaverick42andatowelTemplarJoannaCharlieCartB4HorseCrashaxetelyniSignorePillolaRossaBMMNorthSaigoTakamoriRedPillNeophyteMaterStellieTiger_LilyUlyssesHusband3point0fordsvtPurpletry_red_pillJohn3LeticiaBlueWolfIrishGypsyVerethragnaMiddleManHoward

Comments

• MailmanMailman IndianaMember Posts: 28
    Is there a "holy shit" button?  Hope you're okay, and as a coaching client, please take all the time you need; I promise all my problems will still be here waiting haha
    AdamBeckerErvin3070
  • SallyManderSallyMander Silver Member Posts: 2,087
    I am so sorry to hear this -- you both have been going full tilt for awhile. Thank goodness you got help in time. I hope you can take the time you need to heal. Too many people need you.

(Anecdotally, my FIL had a major heart attack while he was still pretty young, and lived a very good life well into his 80s with great-grandkids. Do whatever you need to take care of yourself.)
    amblrgirlPersephoneCrashaxeUlysses
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    Oh, my!

I'm glad you're recovering ... keep following medical advice on your recovery.

My father was one of the first heart patients to get a stent ... at the same time Mother Theresa had one (she was in the next room in the hospital). I'm glad the medical technology helped one more person.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    frillyfun
  • RorschachRorschach "Just ask the axis ..."Silver Member Posts: 1,458
    I just saw this. No words. Look, do what you need to. The weight of world is not on your shoulders.
    JellyBeanCrashaxe
  • Driven_SnowDriven_Snow The ManseMember Posts: 1
    Oh no! I'm so glad to hear you are ok, and I hope your plans include downtime. 
    Also, I can kill you with my brain.
  • georgegeorge Silver Member Posts: 1,514
    Oh no.  So sorry you went through that.

I'm glad you're home now, and recovering.  

My brother just went through this. Same symptoms. Same outcome.  It was scary. But a week or two later he's back to normal activities, getting good reports, and getting the kind of care and attention that means he won't have more surprises.

Best to you and Jen. 
    CrashaxeUlysses
  • Athol_KayAthol_Kay My Underground LairPosts: 8,046
    Thanks all. Much appreciated.

One Hour Call   12-Week Guided MAP

"The turnaround is tremendous.  And I'm lifting weights, eating better, and tackling projects.  I have all this great energy without a vampire sucking my life force.  :)  He's a lot stronger standing on his own two feet, as well."  - Scarlet

• BourneAgainBourneAgain Gold Men Zen Garden Posts: 1,660
    Holy crap. So glad to hear you are back home and have been given the all clear.

FWIW, my Dad was hospitalised with a heart attack in his early 40s. He went on to work for another 20 years and enjoyed a further 12+ years of retirement too.

Wishing you a speedy and full recovery.  :heart: 

"Keep practicing the behaviors you want to reinforce. You will gradually change the wiring in your brain." - Serenity

"The universe doesn't give you what you ask for with your thoughts; it gives you what you demand with your actions." - Steve Maraboli  (via Rapunzel)

"Choose to enjoy the shit that makes up your life."  - AlphaBelle

CrashaxeCartB4HorseUlysses
  • thisisjenthisisjen Silver Member Posts: 1,164
    I could not imagine what this thread  was going to be about, but an actual heart attack was NOT it!!!  I wish you a speedy recovery.  

BeatriceCowboy