How long did you go without and not get pissy?

Comments

• HappyTrailHappyTrail MidWestSilver Member Posts: 453

@Tennee

Think back to the 'hot' stretch you had and what worked and what didn't. Oh trust me, I have. But its not working anymore.

You see it all as an Either / Or, as opposed to moving both along simultaneously.  MAP, fix what's busted, AND change the status quo.   Work on improving the Reds AND building attraction while initiating, and good OI when shot down.  Make sense? Yes and no. Still not clear on initiating. If she is clearly red and I know without a doubt that she will reject, what's the purpose of initiating? (Other than more OI practice)

wishful_thinking

@nubby " give yourself a self imposed moritorium on sex" She has already done that for me - Lol. But I get your point.

Fortunately it was my wife that brought up the lack of sex I'm curious - where do you think you'd be now if she wasn't the one who brought it up? Or more importantly, if she wasn't interested in partnering with you to improve this area of your lives? (If she told you sex doesn't even cross her mind and would be content without it indefinitely)

• nubbynubby Right HereSilver Member Posts: 1,964
    edited March 30

@nubby " give yourself a self imposed moritorium on sex" She has already done that for me - Lol. But I get your point.

Fortunately it was my wife that brought up the lack of sex I'm curious - where do you think you'd be now if she wasn't the one who brought it up? Or more importantly, if she wasn't interested in partnering with you to improve this area of your lives? (If she told you sex doesn't even cross her mind and would be content without it indefinitely)

@HappyTrail ;If she told me she would be content without sex indefinitely I would just tell her that she can do that just as easy and with less stress by doing that while single. I'm a husband not a roommate.

We had pretty much a conversation like that two years ago. I just let her know that if she wasn't interested in sex and having a half decent marriage that maybe we should think of just going our own way from here on out. I was ready to pull the pin at that point so it didn't bother me to let her know that if things didn't change I wouldn't be around much longer. I also let her know matter of factly that I take my vows seriously and would never cheat but divorce wasn't off the table. 

I had nothing to lose at that point so I didn't give a shit one way or another how it turned out. 

She back peddled pretty quick. 
    maverickCartB4HorseAngelinesoa2005

@shibari Thanks for the insights!

Also, if she indeed would grab every excuse possible to avoid sex with you (that's exactly what she does), would you even want to fuck her? Serious question. ("Yes" is an acceptable answer.) Yes

And what do you mean by RED? That would be sick, or exhausted (yet is still fine to go do whatever else she feels like so I call bullshit). If grief would turn her RED, sex would indeed be off the table. But then, what would you complain about? No problem with that for a while.

You think she would be grieving RED for months on end? Years?
    Not likely. Maybe not years but the months are ticking away

You want a plan? Work on your MAP items (I am) until you either succeed or can't stand it any more. Then enjoy or blow up.
    If you feel like doing something crazy, set up a one hour call with Athol. Moving that direction. However I suspect he has quite a backlog right now and I need to get the money set aside anyways

Tenneeshibari
  • Adam_SAdam_S Queenslander!Silver Member Posts: 1,893

Don't get pissy, but at the same time don't be all warm and fuzzy either.

You need to learn how to do several things.

1. Be confident and secure enough in yourself that being turned down doesn't really matter so much.

2. Learn how to give IOD's (indications of disinterest) when turned down. Being pissy is not a good IOD, it is a sign of weakness. A good IOD is shrugging your shoulders and going to lift weights in the garage. Find something that you can do that makes you feel good, ideally is a DHV of some kind and that doesn't involve her.

3. Learn what a DHV is to your wife and learn to spot IOI's from her. If you've just calmly walked away from a rejection and are, I don't know, having fun with the kids in the back yard instead, look for little signs from her. Compliments, wanting to be around you, that sort of thing. When get enough IOI's, be prepared to act on them.

4. Give an appropriate level of relationship comfort. If you feel like you're supposed to be doing XYZ, run chores for her, listen to her complain about her day etc. but it feels like bullshit because she's done nothing for the relationship in the last month, then don't. Be pleasant, be civil, but don't give her any more warmth or comfort than you feel comfortable with.

"But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love." - Bill Hicks

TrumanTPoke
    Angeline said:

You think she would be grieving RED for months on end? Years?

Not likely. Maybe not years but the months are ticking away

No, they are not. Feb. 17 to now is not "months".

Well, that's 6 weeks, which has been a while. Forgive me for missing it, but what happened exactly?

If she really isn't dealing with grief well, is it worth talking about some counselling or something similar? Having grief spill over into depression isn't a good thing.

"But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love." - Bill Hicks

edited March 30
    Angeline said:
    After a long wrenching battle with cancer and caretaking her til the end, OP'S wife's sister died. There was family drama, caretaker exhaustion (for both him and his wife) and hospice at the end.

Fair enough. That's pretty shit.

@Happytrail, how has she been functioning aside from the sex?

Is it feasible at all to plan some kind of trip away or other fun, take your mind off of everything that happened DHV-ish activity? Sounds like you all could use getting a bit of positive momentum back into life.

ETA, when I get whacked out, I look for some combination of sleep, exercise, time alone and sex. Those things help keep me sane and put energy back into the tank. If you're burned out from everything that happened as well, could that be one of the reasons you're looking for sex? Is there anything else you could do that might help?

Angeline: the last time we had sex was Jan 12. SIL took a turn for the worse after that and was day-by-day. For practical purposes the 'grief' set in then. That's 2 1/2 months and counting. (I should add that before the couple weeks in Dec/Jan it had been close to a year without sex). That's all academic. The more important point is that she has stated clearly that sex is the farthest thing from her mind which would indicate this will continue for some time. She wont kiss me goodbye. I just rested my hand on her knee while watching tv the other night and she promptly pushed it away. The overall dynamic at home is otherwise good - everyone gets along and is generally happy, lots of game playing/family tv time/fun, she asks me for/about things (almost daily) and I make the decisions, finances are in better shape than in quite a while, I'm dressing well and have significantly improved all grooming, in the best physical shape in 3 yrs (since I did the Tri and a 25k race back to back and screwed up my knee), we have date nights, the household chore list has normalized. I have done nothing but continually improve yet she has not responded in a lasting, positive way. Sure their are things to keep working on but nothing so serious that a healthy wife cant have sex with pretty awesome husband.  I'm trying to be sensitive to the grieving but at some point I need a wife and regular sex life. It's hard to see that as becoming a reality. I thought hearing from others in a similar position with positive outcomes would be encouraging. That's the whole purpose of starting this thread.

• TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    Yes and no. Still not clear on initiating. If she is clearly red and I know without a doubt that she will reject, what's the purpose of initiating? (Other than more OI practice)
    Totally agree with Mav & Nubby's responses:  initiating on a RED is a very bad idea.   But that wasn't what I was suggesting.   Monkeys_Uncle had a great strategy about Red/Yellow/Green.   If Yellow, he tried to move his W to green.  If Red, he tried to move her to Yellow. 

So, do a Drive-by - a neck kiss, a squeeze, that's it - walk away.

Again, this is a multi-pronged approach, not linear.  The above it 'All or Nothing' - you have to take this is a complex problem, which requires may solutions - not going from A to Z. 
    "Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
    CartB4Horse[Deleted User]Rorschach
  • amblrgirlamblrgirl ATXSilver Member Posts: 1,328
    Remind me, please. How long have you been MAPping and how long have you been with your wife (including dating)?
    amblrgirltx@gmail.com
    Fitocracy: atxchick

Enneagram 6w5, married to a 5
    [Deleted User]
    amblrgirl said:
    Remind me, please. How long have you been MAPping and how long have you been with your wife (including dating)?
    Not exactly sure, I think nearly 2 yrs. 25 yrs together

Adam_S said:
    Angeline said:
    After a long wrenching battle with cancer and caretaking her til the end, OP'S wife's sister died. There was family drama, caretaker exhaustion (for both him and his wife) and hospice at the end.

Fair enough. That's pretty shit.

@Happytrail, how has she been functioning aside from the sex? 

Very well

Is it feasible at all to plan some kind of trip away or other fun, take your mind off of everything that happened DHV-ish activity? Sounds like you all could use getting a bit of positive momentum back into life.

Doing an overnight family trip next week. For various reasons nothing more than that is in the cards right now.

ETA, when I get whacked out, I look for some combination of sleep, exercise, time alone and sex. Those things help keep me sane and put energy back into the tank. If you're burned out from everything that happened as well, could that be one of the reasons you're looking for sex? Is there anything else you could do that might help?

Replies embedded in message above. Can't seem to bold from my phone. 

Can you clarify this, HT?  I was under the impression that you were 18 months without sex when you discovered MMSL.  Are you saying that wasn't the case, but that you started MAPping at a point you were having weekly sex and then you went into the slump?
    Long slump before map, one little flurry a while after starting map, then another long slump, then a 2 week flurry, now another slump 
  • DaddyOhDaddyOh CTGold Men Posts: 1,589
    edited March 31
    ?
    "How vain it is to sit down and write when you have not stood up to live."