Fear of succeeding

never_againnever_again CanadaSilver Member Posts: 1,372
@Middleman's thread got me thinking more on my own dating dilemma, so I thought I'd post this.

Not exactly sure how to title this so I'm going to put it out as "Fear of succeeding".  Maybe after reading you can suggest more appropriately what my dilemma is and how to handle it.

I've given up on online dating. I still check it out but really see it for what it is - a whole lot of effort for a ridiculously poor return.

I've been doing pretty good at establishing the AMOG thing in my peer singles group (Meetup), such that I have a significant following in the female part of the group and the regular guys defer to me.  Whenever any new guys drop in I've been able to hold my own.  I've heard a couple times that when we go out people want to sit where I am because it's the "cool" table.

With that success has come access to women who are higher SR than most of the group, though most of the group I'm not attracted to anyway.  Definite IOI's from the higher SR women.  I've also noticed that those women also tend to be more alpha themselves, which means that they would need a stronger captain in a relationship.  I should add that the higher SR women are really few in number, maybe 10% of the active female cohort and, for various reasons, I'm interested in very few of them.

Bottom line, I'm reluctant to make a move on any of these women because I don't know if I could sustain the level of alpha they would demand in a relationship.  I'm perfectly willing to captain up but I'm apprehensive that I wouldn't be able to maintain it and fear the crash that would come if I didn't.  And I also don't see most of them as being high enough SR to be worthy of that level of captaining.  

Frankly, at this point in my life (56) I'm no longer willing to bust my hump for a relationship.  I'd truly love to be in one but I'm not willing to do all the heavy lifting any more.  That's really a throwback to my marriage wherein I did the heavy lifting and ended up getting steam-rolled anyway.

Is it a question of balance that I'm missing?  Do I need to go along at a solid (reliable) level but really just be aware of significant captaining opportunities and then nail them?

I started drafting this a couple of days ago and last night I had a date with one of the highest SR women.  I left the date feeling "meh" and didn't and won't pursue a second date. Sort of "you're not awesome enough to deserve my awesomeness".  Perhaps no woman is. :neutral: 
The man who gives his woman everything ends up with nothing. Not even the woman.
UnBetaMe

Comments

• LadyOrTheTygerLadyOrTheTyger EarthSilver Member Posts: 892
    Honestly if you're not sure you want a relationship but are sure you don't want to put work into a relationship, you don't have any business in a relationship. 
    AngelineJellyBeanamblrgirl
  • never_againnever_again CanadaSilver Member Posts: 1,372
    @Angeline, it is a bit of down time right now.  My bike is still in the shop, no hunting right now, fishing hasn't picked up yet, plus I'm recovering from dental surgery so that's limiting things, too.  

However, my motto is "I did..." not "I should have..." so no fear of not getting out and enjoying life.  

@LadyOrTheTyger, I am sure I want a relationship but I want a partner who is going to put as much effort into it as I do.  To this point I haven't found that.  I do get what you say about re-thinking things with the right person but that's part of my fear in that those are the relationships where I get burned because historically I've given more than I've got.
    The man who gives his woman everything ends up with nothing. Not even the woman.
    AngelineMiddleMan
  • LadyOrTheTygerLadyOrTheTyger EarthSilver Member Posts: 892

@LadyOrTheTyger, I am sure I want a relationship but I want a partner who is going to put as much effort into it as I do.  To this point I haven't found that.  I do get what you say about re-thinking things with the right person but that's part of my fear in that those are the relationships where I get burned because historically I've given more than I've got.

I've had the same issues in the past.  Unfortunately all you can do is wait for the right relationship and work on strengthening your boundaries.   Practicing on the wrong relationships won't help us when the right one comes along.  
    Angeline
  • forestleafforestleaf At the farmGold Women Posts: 1,703
    What specifically qualifies as "putting in effort" on her part?  
  • never_againnever_again CanadaSilver Member Posts: 1,372
    @forestleaf, pretty straightforward, I think.  I'm self-sufficient so beyond simple things like respect, companionship and regular, enthusiastic sex all I'm looking for is someone who carries her weight.  Decent job, financially stable, good shape, if I cook she willingly cleans up the dishes and vice versa.  

I get that relationships require work.  They don't require drama.
    AngelineKattMiddleManCartB4Horse
  • JekJek CaliforniaMember Posts: 1,520
    Investment vs Return

We are all doing it.  Some are going 401k, others are playing the ponies.  

Some of us arent willing to invest at all.  
    TenneeshibariMiddleManCartB4Horse
  • JekJek CaliforniaMember Posts: 1,520
    edited April 1