Is this the end? Faith related crisis!

Comments

• BlueWolfBlueWolf The grasslandsSilver Member Posts: 606
    edited April 12
    JellyBean said:
    This happened to me as well, sort of. 

It is a fine balance. You're still the awesome self you have always been. But the foundation of your worldview has changed radically, and it has shaken hers as well. She may wonder since you're no longer a believer if you will start acting in ways that are proscribed by your former religious tradition. For example, will you start cheating? Will you start doing drugs? Will you become an anti-faith advocate? 

It would be a DLV mistake IMO for you to allow her to bully you into remaining closeted about your changed beliefs. At the same time you should continue to support her and be respectful of her continued faith.  
    Great insight, I think she was worried about me becoming anti-faith advocate and fear that I would start to drink to much among other things. The bolded part is true and very important in the future also. Demands som courage from me to say what I think without fear of judgement or upsetting W. 

"The male lion doesn't get pissy." Tennee        

"In the middle of winter I at last discovered that there was in me an invincible summer."  A.Camus

"Be the change you want!" Forum-wisdom

edited April 12
    Blackwulf said:
    I left Christianity 22 years ago though I only really realized that about 3 years ago.  There is a difference between not having faith in the institutions and another in the beliefs themselves.  In my case my wife was raised Buddhist and Taoist so it wasn't really an issue but once I found another faith and started practicing it seriously then I had to explain how my values work, their source, etc.  

I would advise you have a talk with her about the marriage vows especially.  In my case I had lingered  belief about the vows being something in my mind that truly had much more force than the reailty of getting and maintaining my wife's personal commitment and my own.    

For me this has happened over a long time really. Yes I also have a lot the values still with me but a lot of the beliefs has faded.

"In the middle of winter I at last discovered that there was in me an invincible summer."  A.Camus

edited April 12
    I'm sorry you're going through this!  It's really tough.
    The faith itself, though, is Athol's third brand of relationship comfort: shared values.  If you both married as believers, then you both consciously entered into a world where the husband was expected to lead in that, to be a spiritual head of the household, and where the two became one flesh so that each partner's faith was not only his or her private business.  Sounds like it has remained one of her hard requirements for RC, and if she wasn't aware how much this has changed for you - or has tried to avoid seeing it - it's a decent-size hit to her sense of security.

Thx, your compassion & prayers is appreciated.  You´re right the common faith was a cornerstone in her RC. I have to work extra hard to compensate for that loss and really be clear that I still have values and are thrustworthy still.

above all else, maintain frame in both your actions and any conversations you have with her

This was hard when it´s a sensitive and personal subject, but it´s still true and solid advice.

make it clear that you still honor your vows and expect her to do the same ... reinforce that you intend to live a life with a fulfilling marriage and expect her to do her part ... call her out if she uses negative tactics (like guilting or mocking or shaming or whatever) to try to get you to comply or to show disrespect towards you ... make a concerted effort to be seen/heard by her defending people of faith who act/live in good will towards others

Thx, that´s great advice and really important now and in the future.

live your truth especially the reality of your searching and acceptance of uncertainty

DaddyOh said:
    You're getting great advice here.

Have a feeling your wife is also concern about the kids. Sooner or later they will question your motives and their own. "Why do I have to go to church, if daddy is staying home?"

True, I want the kids to have the chance to choose their own path and not be forced into one. Not easy no matter how you put it. But I came to a Place where I Think it´s better to be honest - so honest you can be anyway with them. I don´t want to lie or be a hypocrite.

I'll definitely follow this thread. Hang in there. 

Athol_Kay said:

I personally took the approach that I had indeed essentially bait and switched @Jen_Kay and was for lack of a better term, the... er... unfaithful person in the marriage.

It's hard to describe how terrible it feels to hurt the person you most love, from a place of genuine lack of belief.

I stayed pretty quiet about being an atheist for 14 or so years after that.

Personally I think I'm a better person for lack of belief. I'm kinder, less judgmental and more generally open to people as a whole. I remain essentially moral, prosocial and committed to my family.

I think all you can really do is frame that this is coming from a place of genuine honesty of viewpoint. Don't try and force them to change their viewpoint to yours. Don't roll your eyes when they go to church etc.

In time they may come around to your point of view. They might endlessly attack you for your lack of belief. They may lose attraction to you. They may leave you.

I was extremely worried I was effectively ending my marriage when I came out as an atheist. But after a certain point, I just hated not being honest about it all.

Thx for sharing that, meant the world to me in the time of crisis. Not completly out of the woods yet but it´s looking so much more hopeful now. Good advice, I´ll try to follow it. I was somewhat suprised how much of a moral person I remained after losing my old form of faith... so I share your experience in that regard. ( Even though I have some caveat, some christian persons are extremly generous and unselfish with their time & money compared to the average person. If that only is good I don´t know. ) 

The Apotle Paul is extremely clear that  woman who is a Christian should NOT leave a man who is not a Christian.  So as along as you aren't being hostile (which it sounds like you're not), she really doesn't have a leg to stand on if she ends the marriage based on your leaving the faith.   May I suggest that you suggest that she discuss this with a trusted clergymember?  Also, neither one of you should make hasty decisions.  You can live together as husband and wife for a year or so while she's an active Christian and you're not, to see how it shakes out.  Anything can happen.  

I learned afterwards that she had in fact reached out to a counselor in Church. I´m not crazy about that woman but she truly cares for my W and apparantly gave good advice. Good advice. I haven´t made a point of me not calling myself a christian, but I was pretty clear about how I dont believe as I used to.  

Templar said:

The bolded section is the most important. My wife "believes in Christ" but is not a baptized Christian and seldom attends church. She has always been this way. I am a very practicing Catholic and rather a traditionalist. Though there are occasional issues, we still have a very loving relationship, have raised 3 children who are good, solid citizens and Catholics. Would I prefer she believed as I do? Absolutely! Do I love her less because she does not? Absolutely not!

Fear of the unknown - what your "lack of belief" means for the marriage is probably her biggest concern. Remember the love and give her RC. You need to be the calm and steady one. This was a process for you. She needs to go through her own process to understand and accept this. If she brushed it off as no big deal, she probably wouldn't be the woman you love for a number of reasons.
    Insightful and intresting to hear about your marriage and how you make it work.

• Husband3point0Husband3point0 Gold Men Posts: 3,294
    I should clarify too -- I'm not advocating for a particular religion, or religion in general for that matter. I'm simply pointing out that I think many people, myself included fell/fall into the trap of mixing up the concept of faith with a specific institution, or its leaders. 

TLDR version: When I was 19, instead of going overboard and saying "fuck Jesus and this church bullshit", I probably should've said "fuck Father Mike and Sister Mary and their bullshit" instead. **

** Then again, if Father Mike had dropped the bullshit and fucked Sister Mary, maybe things would've been a lot different. That's a possibility too. 
    BlueWolfwrangler
  • AlphaVsBetaAlphaVsBeta CaliforniaSilver Member Posts: 395

That made me laugh, because as it turns out in my Catholic School (1st - 8th),  Sister Mary wanted Sister Claire...

(Just to qualify, I loved by Catholic School experience)

BlueWolfwrangler
    http://www.recoveringfromreligion.org/hotline-project/ 1-84-I-Doubt-It (1.844.368.2848) is set up to provide assistance for times like this. They will help you to find the resources to help you through this. They aren't there to convert, but to provide a non-judgemental ear during a time that many find difficult. One of the first things that they list is dealing with marital issues when someone no longer believes what they used to believe.
    I understand that this is hard and that it's easy to get into arguments which seem so personal. I wish you good luck.

Thx, will keep that in mind. Seems like a good resource, have a couple of good friends I can talk with for now but thx it´s appreciated.