Body weight workout

LothbrokLothbrok vaSilver Member Posts: 310
Wondering if anyone has a good body weight program? With two young kids in daycare they tend to get sick pretty often.  My wife works nights so if they are sick I normally can't go.

Started working on one last night.  Total reps of 60 pushups, 60 squats and 60 sit ups done over 3 sets.

Hoping someone has something to add.

Comments

• nubbynubby Right HereSilver Member Posts: 1,964
    Lothbrok said:
    Wondering if anyone has a good body weight program? With two young kids in daycare they tend to get sick pretty often.  My wife works nights so if they are sick I normally can't go.

Started working on one last night.  Total reps of 60 pushups, 60 squats and 60 sit ups done over 3 sets.

Hoping someone has something to add.
    Maybe check Craigslist for a door frame pull up bar. 
    maverickforestleafTennee
  • soa2005soa2005 United statesSilver Member Posts: 631
    Years ago I did Insanity. It's six days a week 45-60 minute optometric workouts and you don't need any equipment. I think there is a newer, similar type of workout called T-25 which is only 25 minutes long. 
  • stillasamountainstillasamountain CT, USASilver Member Posts: 521
    edited April 10
    You could try http://amzn.to/20qQZOo though it may be too close to what you're already doing. Short and practical book. Mike strikes me as a very down to earth dude.

An alternative to a chinning bar would be a set of low dip bars. I'd call it a foundational part of a home gym, along with a heavy kettlebell and a jump rope. Dips and bodyweight rows are nothing to sneeze at...

“She was 3/4 perfection and 1/4 broken glass.”

maverickTennee
  • BlackwulfBlackwulf Leading the pack. Silver Member Posts: 1,782
    edited April 10
    Mark Lauren's "You Are Your Own Gym" and "Convict Conditioning" by Paul Wade are good too.    
    Snow_Phoenix
  • maverickmaverick Member Posts: 471
    edited April 10
    I'll throw in those little push-up bars as well.  They are dirt cheap and the few extra inches of range of motion really hit the chest.  Work up to one arm push-ups and pistols too.
    stillasamountainTenneeLadyOrTheTygershibari
  • AlphamanAlphaman Silver Member Posts: 55
    "Freeletics."  Have a look at the videos, it is excellent. I am literally going through the transformation you see in the videos, about four months into it. It is a really coherent and well considered plan.
  • LadyOrTheTygerLadyOrTheTyger EarthSilver Member Posts: 892
    If you can do 60 pushups, start on one arm pushups, one leg pushups, and one arm/one leg pushups.  60 squats?  Start Bulgarian split squats, single leg squats and single leg dead lifts.  Do handstand pushups.  Get a doorway pull-up bar and do chin ups, pull ups, and hanging straight leg raises.  
    maverickDaddyOhTenneeTemplar
  • TemplarTemplar WashingtonSilver Member Posts: 3,371
    My go-to bodyweight exercises are push-ups, pull-ups. dips and man-makers. Add one weight and you can do curls, military press, row, etc.
    DaddyOh
  • NinkasiNinkasi Silver Member Posts: 101
    http://www.homemademuscle.com/

Also, listen to Anthony Arvanitakis' interview podcast on The Art of Manliness. Anthony is the author of the homemade muscle website.
  • SallyManderSallyMander Silver Member Posts: 2,087
    edited April 11
    Since I'm insane, I put together a sheet of exercises that interest me, with girls doing them. Because I'm a girl. < hands on hips >

I plan to print this out, put it in a sheet protector, and never look at it again. Hahaha, no, I'll mark it up with exercises I plan to do that session. Or maybe use a complicated dot system by the day of the week. (Kidding, kinda, maybe not, twitch.)
    bodyweight.png
    612 x 792 - 152K
    AngelineshibariIrishGypsyforestleaf
  • TemplarTemplar WashingtonSilver Member Posts: 3,371
    Here are some that will give you variety. Not huge on mass, but good workouts.
    http://darebee.com/100-no-equipment-workouts.html
    http://superheroworkoutgame.com

Mangue
  • IrishGypsyIrishGypsy UKSilver Member Posts: 407
    soa2005 said:
    Years ago I did Insanity. It's six days a week 45-60 minute optometric workouts and you don't need any equipment. I think there is a newer, similar type of workout called T-25 which is only 25 minutes long. 
    T-25 has been amazing for me. 25 mins of HIIT and I get a solid workout in under 30 mins a day. If you can top it up with dumbbells 3x a week then you're really going to see the results.

Personally, I can't recommended T-25 highly enough. I noticed a difference doing it only 2 days a week!
    Howard
  • HowardHoward EuropeSilver Member Posts: 618
    Yes, I'm also amazed how little of the right kind of training you need to get a better physique. Chris Walker of the Testshock progam has a new workout program called Thor. It's pretty advanced, and he recommends that before starting you should be able to do 5x5 of pullups, chinups, dips and divebomb pushups. I started about 3-4 months back and am just about getting to that stage. Definitely seeing more upper body definition. 

In his Thor program he writes about how upper body work is most effective for stimulating Testosterone  (via Androgen Receptors) . Also how the classic male physique is that broad back & shoulders. All fits together.

"Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
    "Do more of what you love."
  • wanderingTheDesertwanderingTheDesert Desert SWSilver Member Posts: 219
    I know you're focused on body weight, but have you considered adding a power rack at home. It's an enormously flexible piece of equipment and you can safely lift with it. I still regret not buying a used rack from my gym when they upgraded to more attractive, but less functional rack. 
    Tennee
  • MrGrimmMrGrimm Silver Member Posts: 971
    Getting back on the wagon to try and shed the rest of the pounds I wanted and thought I'd try a body weight workout.  I decided to give Darebee's30 Day Combat HIIT a try.  Man, day 2 is already kicking my butt.  Got through four rounds of 10 second pushups/20 second punches (three times each round).  The pushups are what kicked my butt.  I might have done 50 or so.  Started out strong with 7-8 per 10 seconds in the first round, but ended up with 3 each time in the fourth. 
    IrishGypsy
  • Husband3point0Husband3point0 Gold Men Posts: 3,294
    Just in case people are still reading this actively, Mark Lauren's You Are Your Own Gym (YAYOG) program has an app available for both Apple and Android devices, phones and tablets. 

If you are the type that needs a video showing you what to do next, and/or reminders triggering on your devices to get you working out, then this fits the bill. 

I can can confirm it works in hotel rooms in Singapore at 5am when everyone else is sleeping and you don't want to run outside due to smoke because someone is burning 10% of the Indonesian island 'next door'. 
    nubbyAngeline
  • little_beelittle_bee Member Posts: 101
    @Husband3point0 Can you use the Mark Lauren app offline?

I downloaded a free video from him that works great offline but I have been hesitant to purchase an app that won't work without internet access as I don't have internet at home. 
  • Husband3point0Husband3point0 Gold Men Posts: 3,294
    @little_bee -- yes. I have used the app on my iPad which doesn't have cellular, in areas with no wifi. 

The app eats up like half a gig of memory, because all of the demonstration videos are stored within the app locally. So, the downside is it takes up like 400+MB on your device, but the upside is that it works perfectly offline.