Dermatologists are a girl's best friend

2»

Comments

• MagnumMagnum A Good PlaceSilver Member Posts: 431
    W has never had any kind of cosmetic treatments, other than the occasional skin peel years ago. She doesn't even color her hair anymore - she stopped when we had our first kid and then started to feel that it was a poor use of money.  There was a time when we probably needed to save that money, but i certainly wouldn't have a problem if she wanted to spend some of her discretionary money on those things.  And, I've been trying to make this possible by increasing the amount of money in our respective discretionary budgets (we use YNAB).  I think it would be great if she colored her hair or got Botox or any of the 127 other things you all have been discussing - I think a change could be fun. 

Its not that I think she looks old or ugly.  It's just that I want her to look her best.  Also, she has lingering skin discoloration - which is quite noticeable- from last summer's illness.  

How do I lead on this issue without making her feel like I am being critical of her looks?  
    "Stop aspiring to be anyone other than your own best self: for that does fall within your control."
  • KattKatt USASilver Member Posts: 4,554
    @dbl_hoo salon/spa gift certificate?
    HildaCorners
  • forestleafforestleaf At the farmGold Women Posts: 1,703
    @CallmeCat Retin-A is the same thing as tretinoin as @amblrgirl mentioned.  See this website:http://www.m.webmd.com/healthy-beauty/features/retinoids-for-aging-skin for more info.  It's ultimately the best topical cream for anti-aging effects.  It's a prescription item, crazy expensive, and lasts for a long time bc you use so little.  I think it's considered much stronger than any of the anti aging  creams you buy at the store which most all have retinol, a less potent ingredient. 
    CallmeCat
  • CallmeCatCallmeCat DownsouthSilver Member Posts: 236
    @forestleaf I may have to try that. I go to a place for laser hair removal and they do lots of facial things I wonder if I could get it there. I am in my 50s and could use some help around my under eye area and my mouth for sure. I really have no desire for any kind of cosmetic surgery but would consider some botox maybe and some fillers. Is there a name brand to this or you just ask for that specifically. Sorry I know nothing about this stuff I have just been using otc products
  • amblrgirlamblrgirl ATXSilver Member Posts: 1,328
    edited April 13
    Had my first Resurfx treatment today! I'm having the stretch marks on my abs and my TT scar treated. Doctor said it usually takes 3-6 treatments, about 4-6 weeks apart.

I slathered on the numbing cream an hour before and then my husband wrapped my abs in saran wrap so it wouldn't rub off on my clothes (lots of laughter there).

I was nervous that it would be painful, but it was no big deal. My laser hair removal is more uncomfortable than this Resurfx treatment was.

It took about 30 minutes and now I have bright red lines all over my stomach.  The doctor warned me that I may feel some discomfort after (like a sunburn feeling) and to use cold compresses and some Cerave lotion kept in the fridge.

I am so excited to see the results, but it will be awhile. One treatment down, 2-5 (probably 5) more to go! :)
    amblrgirltx@gmail.com
    Fitocracy: atxchick

Enneagram 6w5, married to a 5
    Angelinefrillyfunmaverick
  • forestleafforestleaf At the farmGold Women Posts: 1,703
    @CallmeCat your laser place won't be able to do Botox, fillers, or Retin-A unless they have a dermatologist on staff. All of these things are medications. I would definitely recommend you make an appointment with your dermatologist. Retin A is the brand name for tretinoin.  Good luck!
    Speaking of Botox I was reading a article just the other day about one kind of new botox type shots that will last almost 5 years and I was like wow now I wish I would have noted the name of it and looked into it further. I don't know if it was actually botox but a new drug of some sort
    frillyfun
    Has anyone had any coolsulpting done and if so how is the results from this?
  • MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323
    Yes, a friend of mine. She loves her results.
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    If you want us to be unapologetically feminine, be unapologetically masculine.