Hospital Bills

DaddyOhDaddyOh CTGold Men Posts: 1,589
My mom recently had a scare. She went to ER had test done. While we don't have an answer to what it is and what causes it, she's back to 100%.
Now, the bills came in. It's under 4 figures (nothing that will lead to bankruptcy). She has great insurance. She works at that hospital FT.
Now, What's the best way to fight the amount?Any tips will be appreciated.
"How vain it is to sit down and write when you have not stood up to live."

Comments

• LadyOrTheTygerLadyOrTheTyger EarthSilver Member Posts: 892
    Is the amount incorrect? 
  • DaddyOhDaddyOh CTGold Men Posts: 1,589
    I think off by $200, enough to fight IMO
    "How vain it is to sit down and write when you have not stood up to live."
  • dalefdalef Silver Member Posts: 1,963
    A number of ways. The bill will include information on how to ask questions or raise objections (since your mom works there she might know someone to talk to as well). For insurance questions, her insurance will have a number to call (I've had to a few times).
  • BetaTesterBetaTester MichiganSilver Member Posts: 404
    Is this bill your portion you have to pay (co-pay or a deductible) or is it the total bill where the insurance has not the opportunity to process it yet?  If they have been billed, you will get an explanation of benifits (EOB) statement in the mail.  Do not consider paying anything untill you see and understand this document.  Keep it in a safe place, it will come in handy if the hospital argues they were not paid or bills you twice.  Understanding your plan is very important.  Some plans make you pay a deductible before the insurance kicks in.  It could be as much the first $2,000.  After that, they begin to pay.  A bill this large though seems a bit high for an employee who used their own facility.
    Billing also needs to be submitted in the correct way.  This happens often with diagnostic procedures.  Refuse to pay the bill untill the bill is correctly submitted.  Calling the insurance provider to help understand why something was not paid is helpful.  The hospital will not do this for you.  They just say "Didn't get paid, now we bill the patient for it."
    I have been down this very frustrating road many times.  It is a huge complicated system.  I work in healthcare and I have a hard time with it.  It really makes my blood boil when I see sloppy billing or even systems set up to extract more payment from the uninformed patient.   I feel for the public at large. 
    DaddyOhJellyBean
  • EightbitEightbit DruidiaGold Men Posts: 2,410
    I just dealt with an urgent care that has gone to a one price fits all billing.  They charge the same amount regardless of x-rays, labs, etc.  My daughter was diagnosed with a sinus and ear infection with some glances into her ears nose and throat.  The bill was ridiculous, so I called them and they explained that they'd gone to this new billing method.  We'll only go back if we have no other choice, that's for sure.
    Insert witty, insightful signature here.
    DaddyOh
  • AklattleAklattle Silver Member Posts: 127
    Urgent Care generally will be significantly cheaper than ER though.
    EANx
  • AklattleAklattle Silver Member Posts: 127
    +1 for calling the insurance company about fighting the bill. Let them handle it. They don't want to overpay either.