Dealing with 4 year old attitude

LothbrokLothbrok vaSilver Member Posts: 310
Not sure if it normal for a 4 year old but my son is constantly whinning.  From the time I get home from work to the time I get him to bed it never stops.  Unless we do whatever he want as the time of course.  But i don't give yo him so it seems pretty constant.

Could it be lack of attention or fun activities for him to do durning the day?  Me and my wife do spend too much times on our phones.  Which I am currently working on correcting.  

Comments

• frillyfunfrillyfun East PodunkGold Women Posts: 3,386
    edited May 12
    Whining isn't ok in my house, and I correct it like Jen Kay suggests.  
    I notice a big difference if we all do some physical activities.  Moving gets the endorphins flowing, makes the stress chemicals goes away, and makes everyone happier.

We do a walk after dinner when the weather is nice.  If it's yucky then we jump on the bed, or have a pillow fight, or dance.

We also have no devices time from 6:30 until DS' bedtime unless something is very urgent, or one parent is engaged with him, and the other sneaks away.
    Elise
  • frillyfunfrillyfun East PodunkGold Women Posts: 3,386
    edited May 13
    You're changing, and that's the important part.
    SignorePillolaRossaElise
  • DiggerDigger MichiganSilver Member Posts: 54
    My kid whines way more when she is tired. It's are biggest clue that she should have been in bed already. I try to slow things down, talk to her, and tell her whining will not result in the action she wants. She needs to stop, talk to to me with a real voice, and I will respond to her needs.
    TenneeAngelineMrsJon
  • AvalinetteAvalinette In the kitchenSilver Member Posts: 1,316
    With our 4 year old we use a stock phrase 'Use your nice voice'. We try to say yes as often as possible to reasonable requests in a reasonable tone of voice. Whining about or whining during playing with my ipad results in the ipad being taken away (her being in front of technology too much is the most common cause of whining). I often give her 10 seconds to get all the whines out of her system, and then if she's still whining after I've counted to 10 then she has to go upstairs/to another room/outside where everyone else can't see or hear her. 
  • Husband3point0Husband3point0 Gold Men Posts: 3,294
    I've been known to say "oh, in my house whiners starve" even to visitors. Some kids test it once, most don't even try. 

It's amazing how efficient food is as a basic motivator. 
    Avalinette
  • AvalinetteAvalinette In the kitchenSilver Member Posts: 1,316
    I've been known to say "oh, in my house whiners starve" even to visitors. Some kids test it once, most don't even try. 

It's amazing how efficient food is as a basic motivator. 
    Yes, that's why learning to say 'ta' is the first bit of manners my kids pick up. Nothing like holding a piece of food just out of their reach till they say the code word :P.

On a related note, I had a happy moment when we had dinner out the other night and my two year old said 'Thank you' unprompted every time I refilled her plate.
    telyniSignorePillolaRossadalef