How to sell firearms?

wanderingTheDesertwanderingTheDesert Desert SWSilver Member Posts: 219
I've come to own several handguns. A .22, and several 9mms. Most are relatively low value (Taurus, Kel-Tec, etc), but some are better (Sig Sauer, S&W, Glock). None are collectors. 

I'd like to sell them for cash. I'm not a gun guy, so I'm not very knowledgable on them. I'm also not comfortable meeting random gun ad responders face-to-face.  My state has no registration requirement, and I must only ask buyers if they are legally eligible to purchase them. 

So, I'm planning to use gunbroker.com.  Is there a better or easier place/way to liquidate these?

Comments

• John3John3 SeattleSilver Member Posts: 1,396

Look for a regional website, post each separately with photos.  Many folks will only sell to someone with a concealed carry permit (means they are legally able to own a firearm, no waiting period applies).  You have to sell to someone from within your own state or it's a felony. Unless you have an FFL, then it's ok.  Get the values ahead of time and know what they are worth.  There are loads of low ball offers out there.  You'll get the best value selling them separately, not being in a hurry.

If you take them to a pawn shop or gun dealer, you'll be lucky to get half the value. When you do sell to someone with a concealed carry permit, write it down on the receipt and keep a copy, with name, address, photo id number, etc..  Good luck...it's not easy to do this right.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
    But I have promises to keep,
    And miles to go before I sleep,
    And miles to go before I sleep.
    wanderingTheDesertTenneePurple
  • wanderingTheDesertwanderingTheDesert Desert SWSilver Member Posts: 219
    @John3 thanks for the insightful response.

The appeal of gunbroker is the anonymity and it allows you to sell across state lines because you ship directly to an FFL, as well as the ease of transaction. There's obviously a lower price potential. 

The conceal carry permit sounds like a nice option, but here's no permit requirement to conceal carry in my state, so not many people have them. About the ID verification, it seems like that would minimize risk of selling to a likely criminal, but my gun owning friends have all told me they wouldn't provide ID because they don't want to be tracked. I don't know if this is common, or if I have paranoid friends. 

In in your experience, would local sales yield a significantly higher price than an online venue?  A key factor may be that I do live in a metro area with a population in the millions. 
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    Do you have any gun clubs near you? You could ask if they have a "for sale" section of their website or meeting space, and if you need to be a member. If you join a promising looking one, you might not only sell your guns but meet some guys you gave something in common with, take classes, and go to shooting events. If part of your MAP is meeting more guys to hang out with, voila!
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    TenneewanderingTheDesert
  • TemplarTemplar WashingtonSilver Member Posts: 3,371
    Are there any "Gun Shows" in the area? In my area, there is a gun show every other month and before they changed the laws a year or two back (basetards!) you could sell your guns there. Sounds like your state is not overly restrictive - that would be an easy way to deal with it. Some of the people will allow you to put them on their table for a few dollars to sell them.
    TenneeJREB357wanderingTheDesert
    @Angeline . The gun club is a good idea for the sale. I'll look into the local places.

Your point about joining the club is a good one, but gun activities aren't in the cards for me. I do, however, need something in my MAP about building camaraderie with other men. I'll target that in upcoming weeks in my MAP. 
    Angeline
    @Templar, Awhile back I considered this. And since I've got several weapons to sell, I think I could even get my own table for a day. I think they're here about every 2 weeks. I'll look into it more.  
    JREB357
  • Mr_SharpMr_Sharp New MexicoSilver Member Posts: 27
    You might be able to sell your better pieces on consignment with a local dealer.  He'd sell them at retail and take a % cut. About twelve years ago I worked for a local gun dealer and he took estate sales on consignment rather than buy collections outright from the widows. 

Some dealers may run a NICS background check and handle the transfer on your behalf for a fee. The one I worked for charged $35 to do this. This was usually when someone from out of state shipped a gun to us for transfer to another party. 
    AngelinewanderingTheDesertTemplarJohn3