You can't fake attraction...that was never there.

Comments

• Pen_and_SwordPen_and_Sword USASilver Member Posts: 469
    Eightbit said:
    @Mongrel - very interesting and eye-opening link. Although I wish it wasn't the case, it kind of backs up what I was trying to get across, when I started this thread early last year:
    http://marriedmansexlife.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/13034/realistically-is-this-the-best-its-going-to-be/p1
    I firmly believe that to be able to get the life that you long for, with your partner, that way of life needs to have existed at some point previously in the relationship.
    There are several examples to the contrary on this message board alone, pirouette and I being one.
    I'm relieved to hear that, for the sake of one of my best friends. Both work hard at their marriage, but she lacked either attraction (I fear) or relationship comfort in the worst way, from the very beginning.

"James Bond doesn't have bad days."  - Tennee
    "The goal is to turn women on, NOT sex. If you become good at turning women on, sex can be assumed." - Tanooki
    Triage: http://marriedmansexlife.vanillaforums.com/discussion/13564/so-this-is-me
    M.A.P. - http://marriedmansexlife.vanillaforums.com/discussion/13574/pen-and-swords-map
  • wishful_thinkingwishful_thinking australiaGold Men Posts: 160
    @Eightbit - I probably shouldn't have  made it sound like it's not possible at all to turn things round from hardly any sex at the beginning to a good sex life,  but the vast majority of cases on here are from partners whose sex life started off awesome in quality and quantity,  but dwindled to the level that has brought them here.  This to me shows that the physical attraction was there to start with. 
    I've read your triage and get no indication of a lack of physical  attraction, rather a lack of communication.
    However,  since reading the linked article,  it gives a plausible explanation as to why no improvement is seen,  despite all the self - improvement that is made,  and could go some way in explaining the lack of success that myself,  Mongrel and possibly others here have seen. 
    MiddleMan
  • WinterWinter The Island of MisFit ToysGold Women Posts: 955
    We have far exceeded any initial attraction and our sex life is 10x more active than it was when we were dating.  So, it can happen if both people are invested in their MAP. 

Tiger_Lily
    I know the MAP is an ongoing process,  and has no end or time frame,  but what is considered a legit chance? I've still got areas that need work on, but the strides I've personally made in the last few years have been huge.  Is it therefore unreasonable to suggest that I should see some improvement, if only to give me a bit of hope for the future? At the moment I'm improving for myself (as it should be),  but because I preparing myself for a potential life after marriage, and also because I get the feeling that no matter what level of awesomeness I get to,  it will never be enough.  Hence why it boils down to a lack of physical attraction from the beginning. 
    I've only had two sexual partners,  including my wife. Both were virgins and I was the same beta wuss in each relationship, yet in the 1st one I had pussy on a plate. Again,  shows how physical attraction can differ,  despite me being the same person,  and without any of the confidence or assertiveness I've since added.  The examples in the linked article shows how physical attraction can vary.  I think at the end of the day, I made a poor choice of mate. 
  • MongrelMongrel Pennsylvania, USASilver Member Posts: 1,869
    Katt said:
       Give your spouse a legit chance to respond to the optimized version of you before preemptively counting your marriage defeated.   
    I agree with Katt but I also understand where @wishful_thinking is coming from. How do you know when to throw in the towel, especially at my age (over 50) where every year is so clearly valuable?

Then stir in my decreasing attraction for her (frumpzilla and weight gain) and the outlook is even more dismal.

Making a poor mate selection and/or 'settling' (in my case, based upon the SR I thought I would ever be capable of achieving) is past history. We have to live with the 'now'.
    "If you're not happy with your life, you've got to identify why, and do something about it." -- Mandrill
    "Treating her like a princess didn't make me a prince, it made me a servant."
    Link to triage questions:  http://marriedmansexlife.com/triage-your-relationship-and-the-911-er-category/

HowlAtTheMoonHusband3point0CartB4Horse
  • MongrelMongrel Pennsylvania, USASilver Member Posts: 1,869
    Winter said:
    We have far exceeded any initial attraction and our sex life is 10x more active than it was when we were dating.  So, it can happen if both people are invested in their MAP
    Bolded wording is the key. If the other person never gets on board the MAP train...? Or maybe they never liked trains and are content sitting on a bench in the station watching reruns of Law & Order.

As Katt points out, none of this absolves the MAPer from running the train.
    "If you're not happy with your life, you've got to identify why, and do something about it." -- Mandrill
    "Treating her like a princess didn't make me a prince, it made me a servant."
    Link to triage questions:  http://marriedmansexlife.com/triage-your-relationship-and-the-911-er-category/

HowlAtTheMoonWinterMiddleMan
  • HowardHoward EuropeSilver Member Posts: 618
    @Mongrel so....2-3 years since you joined MMSL, is that right? 21 years married = plenty of time to let things slide or go bad. I know the story, married 28 years myself and MAPping just one. Sometimes I fail to see progress and just want everything fixed ASAP. So to me this thread is possibly expressing disappointment at the rate iof change and a fear that changing a marriage has limits. That may be true, but have you found the limits yet?

You have indeed made progress, as far as a quick scan of your threads tells me. And you wife is capable of being awesome too, your description of her past weight loss makes that clear. You just have to get in sync with each other, and that can take quite some time, years even.

In the meantime, find some passion for yourself. Maybe do something a litle scary, whatever that might be for you: public speaking, skydiving, whetever gives you that feeling of testing your own boundaries. The energy you find will feed back into your life & your mariage.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." - Yoda
    "Do more of what you love."
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    Mongrel, I understand. It took me several years to realize I had to leave my last husband, and that situation was much different (worse) than yours. As @Husband3point0 would say, we have a lot of "sunk costs" in our marriages, and don't want to abandon them after all our effort to improve things.

If you're not ready to decide, you're not ready to decide. Accept that, and don't let the opinions of us anonymous internet strangers force your hand.

What you can do is move yourself in the direction that will get you "good enough" to make that decision. What will be different about you when you are ready to decide? What steps can you make now that will get you to that place?

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    WarnPeaceMiddleManHusband3point0

@Howard - I know your comment was directed at Mongrel, but for me this thread is about gaining clarity about why I'm not seeing any improvement, and has given me a bit of a lightbulb moment. As for limits in what can be changed, these were found a while ago.

@HildaCorners - I still have work to do, namely social confidence issues. As I previously stated, DS is three years away from finishing his schooling, and I have no intention in pulling the plug on my marriage before then. This gives me time to work on the social confidence, continue to improve for myself and maybe, against the odds, see evidence that my wife is joining the party. That aside I, like Mongrel, am at an age (46) where each year of no improvement in my marriage is of concern, especially as each year seems to pass quicker than the last. By setting this three year time frame, I feel this gives ample time to determine whether the marriage is worth continuing or ending.

Does my wife have the potential to meet my standard? To be honest the bar to reach this standard isn't set ridiculously high, it's whether she will ever feel the need or desire to reach it. Again, this comes back to whether there was any attraction in the first place.

On a side note, I can't believe that I'm contemplating divorce from my wife, who I love and want to spend my life with, but also want to have a good, frequent sex life with. Is it really so bad? This whole thing is fucking ludicrous! 

SignorePillolaRossaMongrelHusband3point0TheOptimist
  • markymapomarkymapo Silver Member Posts: 542
    @wishful_thinking

Back to the original article, he states:

"I have to admit that I err on the side of the naysayers. In nearly 35 years of practicing couple’s therapy I’ve never seen a partner “get it” when they “never had it” to begin with. I’ve seen a few who “had some” and “grew more,” but even those that were attracted to non-physical aspects of their partners (such as intellect) couldn’t seem to harvest a physical attraction. In this sense, you either have it from the beginning or…"

I think that's the smoking gun with your case. Has she ever had it from beggining. You question that yourself. 

You can fix the confidence thing and I think that's great for YOU. That will be another notch of a yellow/red in MAP. 

I say do your 3 year plan, become the best you can be. At least your trying before just jumping ship. 

Thing is, it takes two to tango. There's no marriage or saving marriage when only one spouse is pulling the cart. 
    wishful_thinking
  • JekJek CaliforniaMember Posts: 1,520
    @amblrgirl

you lil flirt... :)
    amblrgirlAngelineShepardIrishGypsy