Need some help on how to deal with some ex-wife parenting drama

SlipangleSlipangle MichiganSilver Member Posts: 1,544

Let me start this off by saying that under most circumstances I could probably sit down and think this through and respond coherently, but at this time I'm preoccupied with too many things to do so in what I feel is an adequately timely fashion.

Here's the present situation:

I'm out of state this week from Tuesday morning (today) through Friday afternoon for work.

My parenting schedule is that I always have my 2 children on Mondays and Tuesdays beginning Monday after work through Wednesday morning when they're dropped off at school. I have the kids alternating weekends beginning Friday after work. I work 8 to 5, 30 minute commute before and after. The kids have latch key before and after school on my days.

I asked my ex-wife, as I always do, if she can take the kids on my days while I travel for work. She usually declines, but this time she said yes.

This is a good thing because in my absence on my time, my fiancé has to fill my role as parent. My fiancé works on the same schedule, has 1 child of her own on a schedule of alternating whole weeks. She has her daughter this week. (Sunday through Sunday)

I travel on average probably once a month, usually during the week 3 to 5 days. If my ex-wife was to take parenting time, it'd mean she took 1 or 2 extra days in that week.

My fiancé has had frustrations with my kids during some of these trips and would rather the ex-wife take on the parental role.

Back to the present situation... Yesterday, my ex-wife decided to ask that my fiancé take the kids today. My ex-wife had decided she would rather attend a training session for some volunteer charity activity. I told her that my fiancé had made plans for one-on-one time with her own daughter this evening, and that she (ex-wife) made a commitment and has to stick to it. Her words: "Fine. This time."

As it turns out, the kids had been sick over the weekend. In the afternoon, my ex-wife relays that she had been called by the school that my daughter was in the office complaining of feeling warm and not feeling well. I'm in the middle of picking up a car, so I get to school 90 minutes later which is about an hour before I normally would have, but I haven't finished returning the trailer I had to use to pick up the car, so all the kids ride along or that.

Next morning, my daughter is still complaining of not feeling well, but I have to leave for my flight. I send a text to my ex-wife, but get no response.

By the time I get through security, apparently my fiancé can't take time off work for my daughter and ex-wife won't either. My fiancé tells my daughter that if she can't go to school, then she'll just have to come to work and be bored. The daughter continues to be uncooperative, the other 2 kids get dropped off then all of a sudden my daughter experiences a miraculous recovery and goes to school rather than be bored to death at my fiancé's work.

Unbeknownst to me, the evening before my daughter had deleted my entire text conversation history with my ex-wife and changed her to a spam text, so all day today I was not receiving any text messages from ex-wife. Not even from the group text where coordination happens between myself, ex-wife and fiancé. After I was done for the day, I figured out where to find the messages that had been sent to a spam folder.

Way back early on when I found my ex-wife tended to have things come up where she needed me to watch the kids and I would end up with more than my share of 50/50 custody, I was told here to look at any extra time with my kids as a privilege. And I've adopted that view point. My ex-wife has not, and instead feels that my fiancé needs to "step up". I think it's my ex-wife that needs to step up. My fiancé feels the same only more so. And nobody I know could imagine putting other things ahead of their own children the way my ex-wife does.

I feel it's time to say something, as I've reserved myself from judgment and kept things strictly business in conversing with the ex-wife to this point, and it's generally been the case that the ex-wife hasn't pushed me to this point. I think it's gone too far and something needs to be said. I'm open to any responses, but I'm asking how I should say this to my ex-wife.

Comments

• JellyBeanJellyBean Sunny SoCalGold Women Posts: 5,054
    You say your fiancée has "frustrations" with your kids. Please elaborate.

Do you live together?

When is the wedding?

You can't change your ex. If you get righteously indignant every time she acts up, you'll end up with an ulcer. If your ex is reasonable you can try to have a nice, friendly, non-emotional, non-confrontational convo. 

If your ex is a fucktard, well, it's the gift that keeps on giving. 

Get a copy of the book, Joint Custody with a Jerk
    Enneagram type 9w1
    HildaCorners
  • SlipangleSlipangle MichiganSilver Member Posts: 1,544

Last question first:

Wedding is June 25. We live together, we have been for a little over a year.

Frustrations. In general it's a matter of getting the kids to do what they're told when it's not something the kids want to do, mostly it's my strong-willed daughter who is consistently resistant, but my son has his moments and those are the ones that got my fiancé to the point of saying she something has to change.

Quick summary, I have a son who is 10 and in 5th grade and daughter who is 9 and in 4th grade, fiancé has 1 daughter who is 8 and in 2nd grade.

The incident in particular with my son has to do with tutoring. Both of my children are behind in math, so our schedule was that they went for 2 hours on Mondays and Wednesdays in the evening. It was set up that way so it would be 1 evening during my time and 1 during my ex-wife's. My ex only takes them if they have a make-up day on a Saturday, she couldn't take them on Wednesdays because she also takes care of her husband's 2 kids and it's too much for my ex to deal with (eyeroll) The schedule changed since but that's another story... My son had a bad day at school and got uncooperative on a session while I was out of town for work. It waThis is the time where she gets dinner while they're in tutoring, so she got called back in the middle of dinner to talk with my son. She texted my ex for backup, my ex said she couldn't (my ex on this occasion declined taking the kids because she was supposedly helping her husband pack to sell his house). The reason she said she couldn't help was because she had an appointment to play racquetball.

This incident was in March if I recall. My son has since had his middle school orientation, and that was a turning point where he started actually being significantly more mature and hasn't really had any issues since then.

My daughter has stepped up to fill that void. She's been faking illness to get out of school lately. Yesterday was the latest example. But she'll yell and be uncooperative, it takes threats and coercion to get my daughter to cooperate. She's usually the most difficult right after she's had time at her mom's house. If I have work travel after a weekend with the kids, the daughter will tend to be very mature and helpful. I am aware my daughter acting out is often attention seeking behavior.

My ex is probably, out of the 4 adults of the 2 households, the softest. Her husband is probably the strictest, he's in the national guard. He's a good counterbalance, he usually seems to see things my way. But when I have a disagreement with my ex, she gets defensive and brings him into the conversation, and I usually end up feeling as if he's saying the same thing I am, but the primary tone of what he says is defending my ex.

The thing is - yeah, I do think my ex is a bad mom. But I don't ever say it outright. I will state the actions, and almost any reasonable person hearing these actions might come to the conclusion that she's a bad mom. But she reacts as if I told her she's a bad mom. I know that's vague, I've spent too much time typing and I gotta go but if more elaboration is needed, I'll do that later.

I'll definitely look up the book. Thanks for the response.

• MrsJonMrsJon ColoradoSilver Member Posts: 466
    @Slipangle ; I see you disagreed with scarlet's comment, but I want to encourage you to look into the Parenting with Love and Logic. There is a book and also classes. My husband and I did the classes at a local church. It absolutely changed the way we parent and gave us the tools to make good decisions together. We have five children and use all the techniques successfully. I really encourage to try this if you are struggling with parenting at all. 

I went looking for my dreams outside of myself and discovered, it's not what the world holds for you, it's what you bring to it.  
           Anne Shirley - Anne of Avonlea

ScarletWinter

Here's why I clicked disagree on Scarlet's post, I think it should be obvious to anybody who can see things the way it came across to me why I think it's just trolling. The way Scarlet's post comes across to me is that she sees nothing wrong with what my ex-wife does, and thinks the problem is that I'm a bad parent and so is my fiancé.

I really don't know how it's possible to come to that conclusion when my children's bad behavior happens after time spent with their mom, but not if they've been with me for a while or how we don't have these issues with my fiancé's daughter.

I think Jellybean gets it, but I'm not sure everyone that hasn't been through divorce  with kids might get this. When divorce with joint custody happens, a wife and husband dissolve their marriage contract with each other, but they do not dissolve their obligation to their biological children. There may be two schools of thought as to whether my fiancé or my ex-wife is more obligated to take care of my kids in times when I'm traveling for work, but I'm pretty sure that if it was my ex-wife traveling for work everyone here would be telling me that I should be taking care of the kids.

But if that's all that the issue was I wouldn't be posting a question here. My ex-wife is the source of the behavior problems. My kids are 2 or 3 grades behind in math, I take them to Sylvan for tutoring to get them caught up, she let's them think that if they don't like it they shouldn't have to go. The result is they fight it. We didn't have this problem when we had the kids for nearly 3 weeks straight while my ex-wife went on her honeymoon - even when I had work travel in the middle of it all. My son gets daily behavior reports from his teacher, and that week was the best week he'd had in a long me.

For the time being, my work day on this trip yesterday started at 7 AM and ended at 2:30 AM, and for the time being it's time for me to start the next.

edited May 27

I gave my assessment and of course I don't expect anybody else to be able to make that assessment... Apparently I'm wrong, other people are in fact capable of assessing my ex and determine that my assessment, based on actual contact with the people involved, is wrong. I really didn't come here to discuss that assessment, I simply do not get enough time to type it all out.

Is anybody going to change their mind here and try to answer my question if I go through the exercise of convincing everybody that believes I don't know what I'm talking about in providing a brief assessment of my own situation? I'm skeptical, but I'll try.

I've only given the examples of when I wanted the ex to take the kids and she didn't for reasons I do not feel are strong, don't assume that I've stated everything that's wrong.

The ex goes to half marathons with her mom on weekends. I've had 3 extra weekends with my kids this year. I don't even bother asking her to make up time because she never has and when I did ask she almost always had an excuse why she couldn't that week. The few times she would offer to make up time she would back out every time.

We had an unmodifiable alimony in our divorce decree for 3 years or until she got married. Twice she made week long trips with her SO stating they were visiting his dad who was sick. As I found out afterwards, on the second trip they actually were going so they could get married in Vegas and she thought she could get away with continuing to collect alimony until a month before he 3 years were up by telling me she was getting married 6 months later in August.

This year, a year after they got married, they went on their honeymoon, and of course it was scheduled over her weekend with the kids on Valentine's day weekend. I had evening plans, which I was able to go on since it was a weekend by taking the kids to stay at my parent's overnight.

Over this honeymoon, she agreed to pay for the extra $200 worth of latchkey that would be necessary on the days that would otherwise have been hers. (She doesn't use latchkey because she can pick up and drop off kids from school) When it came time to pay latchkey, she said she'd pay me back. Then she said she'd pay me after the honeymoon. Then after the honeymoon, she said she did not have the money and instead she'd pick up the kids from school on my days until I had saved enough on latchkey to make up the difference. And then she started cancelling days, and it took her 3 months to finally get to the point she'd made up the difference.

She claims poverty like this, occasionally saying one of the kids needs this or that, can you please buy it for them.. Yet she's gotten new living room furniture 3 times in the last 2 years, new playstation 4 and xbox one right after they came out... And then after she's asked me to buy one of the kids new shoes, a week later they show up with new brand name shoes she bought right after I bought them new shoes. She leases new vehicles, and in the last 3 years she's changed vehicles 3 times. I wouldn't know the lease terms she gets, but I know the vehicle she had at the time we divorced was on a 3 year lease and she turned it in after 1 year.

She once explained a scheme she was cooking up that she was going to be a stay at home mom, and she was giving me fair warning that since she wouldn't have any income the child support formula would make me pay more child support. I advised her that it would never work that way because the court would impute her income if she voluntarily quit her current job and still use the same income, and that she is obligated to provide financial support to our children at her current level, and if she didn't believe me she should check with her lawyer. That idea went poof, she figured out nope, she can't just take more money from me.

As our son will be starting middle school, she's asked me to start the child support modification so she can get more money from me. I told her nope. It's a $40 fee, if she wants the modification she has to file and pay the fee. Besides that, I'm still paying summer day camp all summer for both kids and I will probably still have to pay for some sort of after school program for him anyway.

As far as having alternative resources, the ex generally is better situated as she has parents and a sister within 3 miles of home. My parents live 80 minutes drive away and my sister lives about 10 hours away. My fiancé's parents live about 45 minutes away and her brother is about 60 minutes I don't have practical family childcare support for evenings, the ex-wife does.

The issue with the volunteer training is not the volunteer training, it is that she came up with it after she already had agreed to take the kids after school while I traveled for work.

She takes the easy way out, and it's neglectful to my kids and/or a bad example to them. As she's not abusive, it's not like I can change custody more to my favor. And the kids love their mom and are close with their step siblings.

If I didn't have my fiancé, there really wouldn't be much choice, she'd have to take the kids. The ex doesn't want me to be unemployed, she'd lose child support payments. They aren't that much, but she feels entitled to as much payment from me as she can possibly get from the divorce because she views me as someone who owes her something.

Too tired to continue, and tomorrow I'll be driving to the airport then driving 4 hours to a part of Michigan where the internet practically doesn't reach. With all the kids. My apologies if this is responding to responses rather than making a coherent point.

• BeatriceBeatrice USAGold Women Posts: 1,175
    edited May 27
    Give up the idea that your ex will ever do the things you want her to do. She is not going to "step up" and there are no words you can say that will make her do so.

Now make a different plan. If your ex-wife suddenly disappeared, what would you do?  Do that.

You could read the book @JellyBean suggested and use a co-parenting tool like Our Family Wizard. 
    We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.  -Joseph Campbell
    SignorePillolaRossaJellyBeanScarlet
    Haven't had a chance yet to read responses since my last post, boarding my flight in 10 minutes, but on my drive I was thinking. I want to point out I think the discussion is drifting. This isn't about changing my ex wife's behavior. This is about how to discuss with her these things that bother me. I think I've been erring on the side of not speaking up enough. 

SignorePillolaRossaJellyBean
  • ScarletScarlet Category Moderator** Posts: 7,542
    Slipangle said:
    Haven't had a chance yet to read responses since my last post, boarding my flight in 10 minutes, but on my drive I was thinking. I want to point out I think the discussion is drifting. This isn't about changing my ex wife's behavior. This is about how to discuss with her these things that bother me. I think I've been erring on the side of not speaking up enough. 
    What would you like to accomplish with this conversation? 
    Speak your truth. 
    Kickboxer