Appropriate or not?

CallmeCatCallmeCat DownsouthSilver Member Posts: 236
Ladies I want to know is it inappropriate for a woman in her 50s to wear a two peice bathing suit to a public place? I really have not even been to many swimming places for years but the ymca that we joined has a pool so I will be using that shortly. I am fit and my suit fits well and is not what I would call revealing but idk. Last summer when I went with my daughter and grandaughter to a water park as I was looking around alot of the younger women has on Itsy bitsy suits and where way to heavy but I guess that didn't matter to them. I know lots of you gals are younger but still I need an honest opinion. When I see women my age dressed in teenagers cloths I think ugh but I feel you can still dress up and look sexy in age appropriate cloths. 
AngelineTenneeJellyBeanamblrgirlHildaCorners

Comments

• CallmeCatCallmeCat DownsouthSilver Member Posts: 236
    @JellyBean that just cracked me up!!!
    JellyBeanfrillyfunElise
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    edited June 6
    CallmeCat said:
    Ladies I want to know is it inappropriate for a woman in her 50s to wear a two peice bathing suit to a public place? 
    Depends.

Are the people around you going to think "What's that old lady doing in her daughter's bikini?"

Or, "I hope I can rock a two piece like that when I'm her age!"

Sounds like you're definitely in the second group. Wear your two piece with pride!

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    CallmeCat said:
    The women my age tend to work out in the frumpiest looking cloths, like the stuff I would clean house in, ...
    I know exactly what you mean!

I do part time work in a local carfts store, and see lots of middle age and up women. At our age (I'm 59), most women are:
    • in a contest for Frump of the Year
    • putting their makeup on with a trowel
    • dressing like lumberjacks with short gray hair and no makeup at all.
    So, it takes very little effort to outrank hem.

By the way, the best looking old ladies are the non-Americans ... there was one woman from India who must have been 75+, looked every day of her age, but was so well put together and happy I was smiling all day.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    TrumanCallmeCatLeticia
  • growingafamilygrowingafamily chicagoSilver Member Posts: 1,841
    I wish my MIL wouldn't wear her skimpiest suits around my kids but I don't care what she does on her own time. 56, about 100 lb, no boobs, and long wavy blonde hair. Easily confused as a teenager from behind.
  • JellyBeanJellyBean Sunny SoCalGold Women Posts: 5,054
    image.png
    2994 x 2244 - 180K
    Enneagram type 9w1
    frillyfunLeticiaCallmeCat
  • growingafamilygrowingafamily chicagoSilver Member Posts: 1,841
    Great that she's in shape, sure. Lucky for my FIL (who really needs to get on the bandwagon himself). Just find it awkward when it's grama-grandkids time. We're talking really tiny suits here. My kids are getting old enough to notice.
  • codename_duchesscodename_duchess AustraliaSilver Member Posts: 222
    Maybe they'll grow up to be less self-critical of their body and love themselves no matter what. I grew up with parents who ran around naked (in their room but in front of us). Kids absorb what they see in front of them, if they see people who are comfortable with their own body, they tend to model that themselves (once they get past the whole puberty thing). I get that it's making you uncomfortable, but if the kids are fine with it then it shouldn't be an issue. It could be a good conversation starter about different people's bodies and how we're not all airbrushed models.
    MariaLeticiaJoanna
  • frillyfunfrillyfun East PodunkGold Women Posts: 3,386