Appropriate or not?

Comments

• AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    frillyfun said:
    I almost posted that same article last night. There are some hilarious comments from 70's age women too. 
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    frillyfun
  • CallmeCatCallmeCat DownsouthSilver Member Posts: 236
    @frillyfun love that article and some crazy cool ladies :p
    frillyfunAngeline
  • WinterWinter The Island of MisFit ToysGold Women Posts: 955
    I say wear it!!!

I actually have similar concerns about 'appropriateness' not so much because of my age but because I'm often at the neighborhood pool with my teenage son and his friends.

So is it embarrassing for a teenage boy to have his mom in a bikini at the pool? I would consider his feelings a legit reason to reconsider my choice of bathing suits. 

• BeatriceBeatrice USAGold Women Posts: 1,175
    edited June 8
    I opted for a one piece suit out in public while the kids were middle-schoolers and teenagers. I don't know if anyone would have been embarrassed or not, I just thought it one less thing to worry about.

Husband:  I think you should wear the bikini!!
    Me:  Did you ever want to go out in public with either your mom or stepmom in a bikini?
    Husband:  Maybe you have a point.

At this point, it doesn't seem like I did it for very many years or lost out on anything by choosing a different suit. Shrug.  I also don't think there is anything wrong with wearing the bikini, but kids can get weird about things.

ETA:  I think there might have been some embarrassment back then, but everyone would laugh about it now.  Maybe I should have worn the bikini.
    We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.  -Joseph Campbell
    AngelineWinter
  • soa2005soa2005 United statesSilver Member Posts: 631
    @Winter
    It could be embarrassing for your son depending on the reactions from his friends.

My friends and I were all wiseasses and pisspots. None of my friends moms ever wore a Bikini in front of us but at one of my friends house there was a vacation picture of his mom , at a younger age, in a bikini hanging in the basement . I'm fairly certain all of us friends kept that picture in the spank bank for some time. Also, we constantly made reference to the picture in good natured mocking and sometimes cruder jokes. 
  • growingafamilygrowingafamily chicagoSilver Member Posts: 1,841
    edited June 10
    Yeah it's never been about self confidence. Bathing suits in general show a whole lot and most people with really poor body images just avoid them all together. I think we're kidding ourselves if we say that extra cleavage or a bottom that barely covers your butt isn't sexual. A two piece that covers a bit more on both ends can still be appropriate without getting into the realm of teenagers having to stare at their mom's (or friends' moms') boobs. Or their grama's, as the case may be. (I know someone's gonna say but I don't have any boobs. That's just an example--a skimpy bottom shows too much no matter your body shape.)

Anyway I'm not saying wear or don't wear anything in particular, just be aware if there's gonna be kids coming of age present that there might be the awkwardness of that suit is obviously meant to attract sexual attention but that's my grama/mom/whatever. 
  • SerenitySerenity Senior Moderator** Posts: 11,358
    Interesting.

My older sons frequently tell me they're glad I don't dress 'like an old lady' like some of their friends' moms, and compliment me when I wear a particularly flattering outfit.

And yes, their guy friends are around the house fairly often. Do their friends view me sexually? Maybe yes, maybe no, but who cares?

We're sexual creatures. Why pretend we're not?

We all work out in my family (except the 2 little ones), and are fairly body-conscious, so maybe that makes a difference. 

My mom and dad were very young parents, and were always fit and attractive. I remember being very proud of them when I was young. I'm glad my kids feel the same.

Maybe I'm more European than American, @Maria?  LOL

Anyway I'm not saying wear or don't wear anything in particular, just be aware if there's gonna be kids coming of age present that there might be the awkwardness of that suit is obviously meant to attract sexual attention but that's my grama/mom/whatever. 
    MariaCallmeCatAngeline[Deleted User]
  • CallmeCatCallmeCat DownsouthSilver Member Posts: 236
    That's so funny you men liking the tan lines ,my crazy husband actually asked me to lay out nude as he wanted to see my butt with a tan on it. I don't usually get real dark as I know how damaging the sun is on your skin but I was like what really? So I have done it a few times but not for very long as I did not want a burned ass. Although I did got some tan on it still is not as dark as the back and the legs as its never been exsposed to the sun. He likes it well enough though I can tell by the way he paddles it!  B)
    SerenityAngelineamblrgirl
  • WinterWinter The Island of MisFit ToysGold Women Posts: 955
    None of my kids - boys or girls - have commented on my bathing suits. But I do notice that my girls actually prefer to be covered. Neither likes a bikini for themselves (teen and 8 year old)

I'll have to give it some more thought. I don't own a one piece or tankini right now. Even my lap suit is a two pice sports bikini. The one piece lap suit I bought my teen daughter stole for
    herself. 

• RosesRoses USASilver Member Posts: 720
    I wear a one peice, but I *swim*. I don't lay out. If we're at the water and it's not too high/cold, I'm in it. (It's drowning season right now, so the rivers are off limits. Seems like we've had more than our usual quota of Darwin Award contestents this year, and Yellowstone is in our local news zone, and oh my gosh the idiots!)  Doesn't have much to do with age, just practicality. I like my suit to stay on!
  • MariaMaria EuropeCategory Moderator** Posts: 5,323
    I also swim. Bikini stays on, too.
    _____________________________________________________________________________
    If you want us to be unapologetically feminine, be unapologetically masculine.
    JellyBeanWinter
  • dalefdalef Silver Member Posts: 1,963
    Bo Derek in "10" showed that a one piece can be plenty sexy.
  • SerenitySerenity Senior Moderator** Posts: 11,358
    Heh. We kayaked, sailed, body surfed, and battled waves. I even did a little jogging.

I managed to keep my bikini firmly about my person. LOL  

But it's true that one pieces can be sexy, too. It's just that my husband doesn't like the tan lines as well.

Maria said:
    I also swim. Bikini stays on, too.