Diet help

2»

Comments

• nubbynubby Right HereSilver Member Posts: 1,964
    @ivy do you take long walks? When I first started to take my weight issues and diabetes seriously I started going for 30-45 minute walks everyday. That coupled eating 3 healthy meal/day and watching portion sizes made a big difference. The myfitnesspal app was also a huge help but I stopped using it. I just recently went back to it. 

My weight has also plateaued and it seems no matter what I do, it won't go down. I've tried low carb high fat, cut down my coffee (never used sugar) I don't drink soda and it I drink juice it is rarely over a 1/4 cup (I have to watch my sugars).

I have a Fitbit and I'm usually between 8-12k steps/day. I do lift weights and my body has definitely changed for the better but I know I still have a gut to lose. It's frustrating as hell to lose weight. 

I just weighed myself today for the first time in over a month. Lucky me, I'm up 5lbs (said sarcastically). I'm sure some is muscle, probably a lot of water as I have been taking the Creatine again this month. It is disheartening but the alternative to me is much worse. 

I refuse to give up! I will lose the weight and so will you. 

Are you up for a 1month 5lb challenge??
  • IvyIvy Member Posts: 83
    During summer I don't take long walks. It's still 110 degrees farenheit in the evening. If I do any walking it has to be at about 4 or 5 am. When it cools down some I will start again. I am totally up for a 1 month 5 lb challenge. I'll just have to make sure I get all my workouts in. 
    @ivy ok, let's do it!! I weighed in today at 190lbs. We can start today if you like. I think bi-weekly weigh ins would probably be best with daily updates of activity, i.e. Walking, lifting running steps (if you have a counter).

My user name on myfitnesspal is Fugley01 if you want to see my daily logs. On fitocracy where I log in my weightlifting, I use the same user name as here, in the "dangerously monogamous " group. 

I believe this will motivate me to "shape up" I would love it if more people accepted the challenge. 

If this is a no no I hope a mod will let us know. 
    Good Luck!
    This morning I weighed in at 253 so I've gained almost 10 lbs since starting work. I'd really gone off diet the last month. I'm giving IIFYM a try to see if it's more effective than the low carb I was doing before. From today's results I don't eat enough protein. I think that's going to be my challenge. 
    The macros the calculator gave me for my weight and goals are:
    protein - 202g
    fat - 101g
    carbs - 92 g
    Fiber - 38-51 g
    I've been working extra hours and haven't been to the gym in almost 2 weeks, so tomorrow I'm going to get back in for some cardio at the very least. 
  • PaladinPaladin USASilver Member Posts: 88
    @Ivy
    Make sure you weigh your food and log it in. Go buy a food scale and that will help. Its amazing how much it helped me stay on track. 

Ivy said:
    This morning I weighed in at 253 so I've gained almost 10 lbs since starting work. I'd really gone off diet the last month. I'm giving IIFYM a try to see if it's more effective than the low carb I was doing before. From today's results I don't eat enough protein. I think that's going to be my challenge. 
    The macros the calculator gave me for my weight and goals are:
    protein - 202g
    fat - 101g
    carbs - 92 g
    Fiber - 38-51 g
    I've been working extra hours and haven't been to the gym in almost 2 weeks, so tomorrow I'm going to get back in for some cardio at the very least. 
    @Ivy maybe consider whey protein. I have a shake every morning and another after I workout. 
    I have found getting enough protein without them very difficult. 
    I thought I would check in here.  IIFYM is working well for me so far. This morning I weighed in at 242, so that's down 11 lbs in this last week. I know that at the beginning of a diet there's a lot more weight loss so I'll have to see if it stabilizes down to 2 lbs a week which is what I'd like. Adding in whey protein shakes has really helped. I'm not needing to snack much and I have more energy.  I'm still not completely getting the 202 g of protein / day but I'm getting a lot closer. 
    WinterDaddyOhBeatricePen_and_Sword
    @Ivy that's awesome!!!! 
    If you want you can always have another protein shake or even 1/2 to get up to your protein goals. 
    I'm only down to 188.5 so it looks like you're kicking ass! 
    As long as you don't give up, you'll make it. After all, weight just doesn't suddenly appear or disappear.  Slow and steady will win the race. 
    Good job!!
    It's been 4 weeks and I'm only down 2 1/2lbs. Still, better than being up :)
  • GraceyGracey USMember Posts: 119
    @Nubby & @Ivy - way to go with the losses.  B)
    @Gracey I was hoping for better results but I'm happy with just over 1/2lb/week. 
    I have upped my walking pace when I take my dog to the point he has to trot instead of walk to keep up. He's a big dog (100+lbs) and has long legs so I must be hitting a good pace. 
    AngelineGracey
  • GraceyGracey USMember Posts: 119
    @nubby that's so understandable! Good on you for pushing through.
    @Gracey I just came back from a 30 minute fast paced walk. It's not even noon and I'm well over 4K steps. 
    I do have to go get some replacement runners as my current one are making one leg sore. I can feel my foot wanting to roll to the outside. 
    I've also been religiously tracking  my meals on myfitnesspal and keeping my calorie count in check. 
    My calorie goal is set for 1/2lb/week and I'm not eating back any extra earned calories. I need to be the example in my household. 
    Angeline