Separate workout days for different muscle groups

Comments

• ZotZot Silver Member Posts: 469
    After my arm day yesterday, I decided to work on my chest. This didn't go well. I felt like I was just working my arms again, after punishing them the day before. I'm thinking I should have worked my legs today instead.  Perhaps my chest will be sore tomorrow. 

I only used machines (pec fly, incline press, chest press) for 40 minutes. I didn't venture into the free weights area today. I really don't know where to start for chest work over there. I suppose a simple bench press would work, but how do you know when you need a spotter?
  • TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    Zot. No rack / cage with stops?  
    "Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
  • RorschachRorschach "Just ask the axis ..."Silver Member Posts: 1,458
    @zot, there should be benches designed for the barbell bench press, at least flat ones, and ideally incline and decline benches as well. If not, use dumbbells.

It's okay to mix in some machines for sure, but you should mostly use free weights.

As for when you need a spotter, that would be when you know you're likely to reach technical failure in your chosen number of reps (reps and tempo should dictate load). You just have to figure that out. Take notes.

If you weren't feeling it in your chest, likely your form/set-up was wrong. Shoulder blades should be squeezed together, down and flat on the bench, head should stay on the bench, chest out throughout the entire movement, keeping the natural arch in the lower back, feet flat on the ground. Bring the bar down in a controlled manner all the way to your chest. Arms should be positioned more or less shoulder width so they are roughly at 90 degrees at the bottom.

DB flyes are a good way to learn to feel the pecs squeeze and learn what is called "the mind-muscle connection."

It's a good idea to research this stuff in advance and create a plan instead of just randomly doing things once you get to the gym. Tons of stuff on line. Learn a variety of exercises.
    AngelineTenneeBlackwulf
  • BlackwulfBlackwulf Leading the pack. Silver Member Posts: 1,782
    @Rorschach is right on with the DB flyes.  Look into seeing if your gym also has a dip station.  Dips can grow your chest too.  If you are doing them right (dips and flyes) you will likely feel DOMs in the outer areas near your arms in your pectorals.  

Most chest exercises are going to work your shoulders a bit and the triceps, but you will know when you are working your chest. 
    TenneeRorschach
    Tennee said:
    Yes, they have them. I just need to use them. I just wasn't sure if that was enough of a substitute for a spotter. 

@Rorschach @blackwulf @tennee Thanks for the pointers. I'll need to research proper form on DB flyes. 

The last time I worked with DBs (over a year ago) I tweaked my sports hernia (had a mesh patch put in 2 1/2 years ago).  I'm stronger now, so this should be a problem. 
    Tennee
    Zot said:o
    Tennee said:
    Yes, they have them. I just need to use them. I just wasn't sure if that was enough of a substitute for a spotter. 

@Rorschach @blackwulf @tennee Thanks for the pointers. I'll need to research proper form on DB flyes. 

The last time I worked with DBs (over a year ago) I tweaked my sports hernia (had a mesh patch put in 2 1/2 years ago).  I'm stronger now, so this should be a problem. 
    Thats the beauty of a power rack - no spotter required.  

Slow and steady man, slow and steady.  I bet it took me 6 weeks to tweak my split and get my #s right to hit my sets/reps - and I wasn't new to lifting.  So be patient and start slow and low.  Good form is key to both success and injury prevention.

Pick a good routine and learn it.   Enjoy the progress.

NinkasiZot
    I started my second week of splits, today being an arm day. I basically did the same thing as last time in terms of weights (DB curls and machines). Should I be increasing the weight or wait until it gets easier? I'm seeing good results already after a week (two arm days). 

I tried curls with the barbell. It did not go well at all. It was very awkward. I should have researched proper form before going to the gym. 

Tomorrow is a chest day. I've found a good video and explanation of DB flyes. I'm looking forward to trying this. 
    Tennee
  • RebuildingHusbandRebuildingHusband Southern USASilver Member Posts: 1,953
    @Zot what works best for me with barbell curls is feet about shoulder width, knees very slightly bent, chest up and out, elbows locked close to the body, slow and steady reps without leaning back or flaring out the elbows.
    give a shit and try, or go be miserable by yourself - AlphaBelle
    ZotTennee
    @zot exrx.net exercise and muscle directory.
    Zot
  • Adam_SAdam_S Queenslander!Silver Member Posts: 1,893
    edited July 1

There are a shit load of different curls and tricep exercises you can do so if you're doing several sets it's not a bad idea to mix it up.

For example, arm day:

barbell curls

overhead raises

reverse grip e-z bar curls

close grip bench presses

seated incline dumbbell curls

skull crushers

Try googling "arm workout" and it will come up with all kinds of stuff you can do. It makes the workout more interesting and you hit different bits of the muscles you're trying to target.

YMMV but I seem to get more benefit in adding reps rather than weight. For arms I find 10-15 reps seems to work best.

Also if you pile on too much weight your form will go to shit, you'll lose a lot of the benefits and you risk injuring yourself.

"But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love." - Bill Hicks

Zot
    Rorschach said:
    @zot exrx.net exercise and muscle directory.
    Holy crap that's a lot of info. I'll sift through it and find some exercises that work. Thanks!

I just finished a chest workout with DB flyes and machines. I didn't want to stop doing the flyes. I felt like they were really stretching my chest. I feel great!
    TenneeRorschach
    Flyes in all their varieties are just about the best chest exercise you can do. They'll hit the middle, most visible part of your chest much more than bench presses will do.

"But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love." - Bill Hicks

Zot

CharlieZot
  • MagnumMagnum A Good PlaceSilver Member Posts: 431
    Does anyone have any experience or throughts on the workout program "Bigger, Leaner, and Stronger"?  
    "Stop aspiring to be anyone other than your own best self: for that does fall within your control."
    dbl_hoo said:
    Does anyone have any experience or throughts on the workout program "Bigger, Leaner, and Stronger"?  
    I don't know what that is, but it sounds like someone's out of the box program. My thoughts on most such programs are that they will work for most people for a period of time if you follow them. Then after a while they won't so much (subject to exceptions), if the goal is hypertrophy, because you will adapt to the stress. So, so long as it doesn't seem idiotic and totally out of line with current best practices, give it a go. Take notes, observe, and have fun.
    Magnum
    edited July 8
    dbl_hoo said:
    Its Michael Matthews program - he's a trainer & fitness guy.  His site is Muscle for Life, for anyone interested.  I bought BLS, read it, and I found it to be well written, informative, and thoroughly researched.   I am not following it as a 'program' per se.  Or maybe I am in pieces, as he is a proponent of full 7 days rest, splits for lifting, protein & proper nutrition, proper form, etc.

@dbl_hoo Its worth the $15 or whatever I paid off of Amazon to get it.  Again, chock full of good information, descriptions of excercise and proper form, nutrition, etc.  He also takes a lot of time to explain 'why' things work the way they do - I found that to be very informative.   I seem to remember @SignorePillolaRossa asking this too, don't know if he bought / followed it or not.

@Rorschach You'd probably agree with a large chunk of Matthews' philosophy.  

Rorschach
  • SignorePillolaRossaSignorePillolaRossa mid atlantic usaSilver Member Posts: 4,079
    nah, i didnt get it ... sticking with SL 5x5 still
    Sr. PR

============================
    sapere aude

Fuck Culture. Live your life - Beatrice
    ============================
    Tennee
  • maverickmaverick Member Posts: 471
    For hypertrophy, the difference is night and day.  I did whole body routines for a long time and was unhappy with size considering how long Ive lifted.  Ive been on a three way split that I complete twice per week for probably 3-4 months now. I've put on 10 pounds and I can button a single work shirt I own.  A few I cant get my arms all the way into.  Program is very similar to PRRS (random becuase I work out when and where i can).  I do probably 7 sets to failure per muscle group hitting everything twice a week.  Right now is chest/back, legs, shoulders/arms.
    RorschachTennee
  • LittlejoeLittlejoe TexasSilver Member Posts: 151
    For you guys who take Protein Powder...how often do you take it?  I bought some 100% Whey Isolate.  (Lowest Carb I could find since I'm on a low carb diet)  Take it right before workout?  After?  Both?  Just take it once daily like for breakfast?  I am trying to maintain a 6 day a week work out schedule.  Trying to find what will work for best for me.
  • RayRay Northwest USASilver Member Posts: 615
    edited July 17
    I don't think it matters when you take it, it just matters that you're getting enough protein throughout the day.  Take it when it works for you. I drink mine during my workout, it serves as both a supplement and hydration for me.