Divorced man's guide to surviving the aftermath?

RemusRemus NY,NYSilver Member Posts: 382
Have a close friend who just went through a nightmare divorce and custody battle (which he mostly lost).

He's a wreck emotionally, physically, everything.  Part of the reason he lost so badly in the divorce.

I am thinking he needs a structured approach to getting his shit together.  Basically the MAP but focused around recovering for this.

I'm sure there are lots of books out there but I debate which ones might be intelligent, structured, logical and not just self help bestseller crap.

Suggestions?

Comments

• AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    I'd wait for him to ask, or at least just have a few conversations where you sort of gently introduce the concept that it doesn't have to be this way. The anger and grief will cause a lot of people to just kneejerk reject anything at first, and you'll have shot your best ammo off.
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    frillyfunTenneeHildaCorners
  • RemusRemus NY,NYSilver Member Posts: 382
    Angeline said:
    I'd wait for him to ask, or at least just have a few conversations where you sort of gently introduce the concept that it doesn't have to be this way. The anger and grief will cause a lot of people to just kneejerk reject anything at first, and you'll have shot your best ammo off.
    You're right, I'm not going to just start sending him books at random.  But I do know that some kind of guide that's not full of cheap pop psychology and magic fix schemes, but rather a sensible, structured plan, will be useful.

• RemusRemus NY,NYSilver Member Posts: 382
    Angeline said:
    You mean, aside from the obvious one?
    Well the issue with sending him the MAP book or the MMSL book is something I mentioned in a thread awhile ago.  They are very marriage centric, and for someone who just went through a brutal divorce, I suspect he might read a few pages and say its not for him because of the marriage part.
    AngelineTennee
  • LadyOrTheTygerLadyOrTheTyger EarthSilver Member Posts: 892
    Not to mention reading the primer immediately following a divorce can feel like rubbing salt in a wound. God if only I had known this before. . . . . 

Ask me how I know.  
    Tennee
  • SaigoTakamoriSaigoTakamori FLSilver Member Posts: 3,075
    Mindful Attraction Plan

Is the book to recommend.
    Sweat More...bitch less
    Fate favors the prepared.
  • MongrelMongrel Pennsylvania, USASilver Member Posts: 1,869
    This guy is pretty good. Though the blog title talks about dating advice it is much more than that.
    https://www.patreon.com/theprivateman
    "If you're not happy with your life, you've got to identify why, and do something about it." -- Mandrill
    "Treating her like a princess didn't make me a prince, it made me a servant."
    Link to triage questions:  http://marriedmansexlife.com/triage-your-relationship-and-the-911-er-category/

CartB4Horse
  • JekJek CaliforniaMember Posts: 1,520
    If I would have been exposed to this forum and the books in 2010, maybe my "bounce back" would have been sooner.

I don't know if there is a set amount of time, no greiving period for divorce.  I think the moment the papers are signed, start again.  And how can you start over right, if you dont know where you went wrong?

If I get fired as a cook, should I go sit at home and sulk for 6 months then go apply for another cooks position?  Or should I immediately start learning to be a better cook?  If I just wing it and pray, I will get fired again.

I am doing that right now, as my map.  I am learning, applying, learning applying until it becomes me.  Only then will I think of another relationship.
    LittlejoeCartB4Horse
  • fordsvtfordsvt Canada Eh!Silver Member Posts: 2,300
    He will get past this for sure 
    perhaps he needs an introduction to Red Pill thinking. Just be there for him and talk. Support his needs and get him moving forward 

Into Phase 3..

Those Who Dare......Win.   "What gives you fear today...Gives you Strength tomorrow.."

• EANxEANx Local GroupSilver Member Posts: 509
    Have to agree with @fordsvt . I had an employee that was going through a mess of a separation with a woman he wasn't even married to. At the early stages, it's more important to be there as a shoulder to cry on and someone he can see achieving success. I made sure my employee knew I had recovered from a divorce, had a kid I won custody of, etc. and that I was moving on. IMO, the most important thing you can demonstrate is that life moves on.
    HildaCorners
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    Remus said:
    Well the issue with sending him the MAP book or the MMSL book is something I mentioned in a thread awhile ago.  They are very marriage centric, and for someone who just went through a brutal divorce, I suspect he might read a few pages and say its not for him because of the marriage part.
    This depends on the person.

After my marriage broke up, I was foundering until I discovered Athol's blog. From the first post I read, things about my relationship started making sense, and the more I read, the more I understood why the marriage was doomed, and what my (tiny) part in it was.

Knowing this, I was able to start healing. And when Athol started the forum, and published the MAP book, I was able to see past the "in marriage" talk and pull what's helpful for me. And it's been *very* helpful.

I'm an Enneagram 5w4. The 5 in me processes things by reading/research, and has no problem pulling the useful bits from a larger picture. If your friend process things the same way I do, I'd get him on board with MAP and the forum as soon as he's ready.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
    CartB4Horse