Custom/subscription boxes - Stitch Fix, etc

telynitelyni Midwest, USASilver Member Posts: 471
Has anyone done any of these? I was looking at Stitch Fix and it almost seems too good to be true. Five items at a time, custom-chosen for your style, free shipping, free styling fee if you buy at least one piece. I was wondering if I should try it. Shopping's such a hassle when I have to scour the racks for even a few pieces close to my size, nevermind what they look like, and only a fraction of things I try on even fit properly. It might be worth paying full price for something if I really love it and it will improve my style. It might help me better recognize what will look good when I see it in the store, too. Thoughts?
Tagged:
Enneagram type 5w4
telyni at gmail

Comments

• amblrgirlamblrgirl ATXSilver Member Posts: 1,328
    I just got my first Stitchfix a few weeks ago. I kept 3 of the 5 items and will definitely order another when i update my wardrobe for the fall. I've read that the fixes get better and better as the stylist learns your preferences over a few boxes (you give feedback on each item). It also helps if you create a pinterest board with styles you like. And I linked to a twitter account with pictures of me so my stylist could see my body type and skin/hair/eye color to help her choose what would look best on me.

I like that it's an easy way to update my wardrobe without having to go to the mall (especially over the summer, when I'd have to take both kids with me if I tried to shop - not fun for any of us.) I also liked that my stylist sent some things that were very much in my wheelhouse, along with something that was a little outside what I would normally choose. I bought something I would have passed by at the store, just assumed it wouldn't look right on me. But since it came in my box, I tried it on and it looked great. It's one of my favorite summer staples now.

So, it's helped me to branch out fashion-wise, saved my time and sanity by avoiding a day at the mall with two kids, and was kinda fun to try. I probably won't get a new box every month (I chose to just order as needed instead of an automated subscription), but I'll definitely get a box at least seasonally.
    amblrgirltx@gmail.com
    Fitocracy: atxchick

Enneagram 6w5, married to a 5
    telyni
  • Tiger_LilyTiger_Lily Silver Member Posts: 772
    You will probably get both positive and negative responses. I tried Stitch Fix and Keaton Row and it didn't work for me.  They didn't have my sizes (petite), and I didn't like the clothes they sent me.  It's probably a function of how well you describe what you're looking for and the taste/maturity of your assigned stylist.

I also hate shopping in stores and have honed online shopping into a science. Don't want to threadjack but happy to discuss.
    amblrgirl
  • JellyBeanJellyBean Sunny SoCalGold Women Posts: 5,054
    I did Stitch Fix a few times and had mixed results.  The first time I filled out all the info on the style profile, wrote a lengthy description of my preferences, and included some full-length photos.  Out of the five things I only kept the pair of earrings -- everything else was awful!  The second time I kept only two of the five items, but the two items were total winners -- much better than I could have chosen for myself!  Plus, one of the items (skinny jeans) I would never in a million years have even tried on or imagined would look good on me, but holy cow, they are amazing!

I sent some really detailed feedback and some specific requests for the next one. I only do every six months due to budget.
    Enneagram type 9w1
  • RicoRico ArribaSilver Member Posts: 1,284
    The wife subscribed to Stitch Fix for about a year. It was nice since she hates shopping, but eventually they kept sending the same sort of things over and over again that she didn't like (wrap dresses, flowy blouses, etc), despite her repeated negative feedback.  And the prices were too high to make up for the convenience.
  • telynitelyni Midwest, USASilver Member Posts: 471
    @Tiger_Lily Sounds like they have petite sizes now. Otherwise I wouldn't even consider it! I'd love to hear more about tips for online shopping if you have any. Mostly I don't do it because I find it so hard to find the right fit even when I have the clothes in my hands to look at. Size descriptions seem so inconsistent from brand to brand. So I don't know how I'd find the right fit online without constantly having to return things. In theory I'm a size 2, depending on type of clothing, but some pieces only say XS/S/M, sometimes even a 4 is too short in the crotch but the legs are too long and the waist is too wide, sometimes a medium fits just fine and sometimes a small is way too big. I really have trouble.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'm leaning toward trying it once or twice as a MAP item to see how it goes.
    Enneagram type 5w4
    telyni at gmail
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    I've never tried a box ... I'd rather hire a local image consultant to shop with me.

I'm a very hard fit, with both style and texture issues ... it's very difficult for me to find anything.

I did well this past weekend ... two cardigans and a summer-y black skirt. No box service would have picked these items for me ... the cardis were size L, the skirt was an XS! And they all fit very well. [Cardis were Ann Taylor Loft, skirt is Eileen Fisher (outlet).]

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
  • AklattleAklattle Silver Member Posts: 127
    edited August 9
    Do they have this for men?

edit nvm, googled it, they do.
  • Tiger_LilyTiger_Lily Silver Member Posts: 772
    edited August 10
    @telyni I wrote down some online shopping tips for petites but it turned into a tractate, so I started a separate thread  :)

http://marriedmansexlife.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/14557/shopping-for-clothes-online-petites-and-others#latest
    telyni
  • little_beelittle_bee Member Posts: 101
    I paid the fee for 2 Stitch Fix boxes.

The first one, in which I told the stylist I would accept pieces from higher price points, was really nice. I liked all the clothes as individual pieces but only bought 2 as the hyper-conservative dress code at one of my jobs would not allow me to wear the items to work, which was my aim in ordering.

I tried a second order asking for cheaper pieces because my second job requires me to look nice but not cry if I and my clothes wind up filthy. I am not going to wear a $200 dry-clean only pair of pants to that job.

The second box bombed, bad. I sent everything back as it didn't fit or was just not my style. 

I was left with the impression that Stitch Fix can work great for someone who can afford to pay upwards of $200 for a single item of clothing on a regular basis, but if you need items that are not so pricey they just throw things at you at random to see what sticks.
    telyni
  • DorothyDorothy Not in Kansas anymoreSilver Member Posts: 5
    edited August 25
    I have been using the Gwynnie Bee rental subscription service for quite awhile and I have been very happy. This service is for curvy girls and as I lose weight, I can keep a fresh and stylish wardrobe. It is a rental service that is super easy to use. I have always loved to dress well and I wear dresses nearly everyday. This allows me to play with the cuts/styles/colors that do or do not work for me with out a big commitment.
     I have a plan with six items out at a time and I can plan ahead for big events and vacations to have great pieces on hand. I get compliments on my wardrobe all the time and my husband never complains about the fees (he never even asked what they are) and I think it's because he really likes the results.
     I am on the smaller end (think of Marilyn Monroe's curviest days) of their size range (10-28) and still working to lose a bit more but I am getting nervous about what I will do if I no longer wear the sizes they offer because I can't find another rental service as great as his one. 
    https://closet.gwynniebee.com/
    Scarlet
  • GraceyGracey USMember Posts: 119
    Dorothy said:

I am on the smaller end (think of Marilyn Monroe's curviest days) of their size range (10-28) and still working to lose a bit more but I am getting nervous about what I will do if I no longer wear the sizes they offer because I can't find another rental service as great as his one. 
    https://closet.gwynniebee.com/
    Oh wow! I'm going to have a look at this site. That's my build but I'm a bit closer to size 14/16 than 10 just now. Thanks for the tip. 
    Dorothy
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    <rant> Please don't use "curvy" as a synonym for larger sized.

You're making it hard for us hourglass ladies to describe ourselves.

I'm a size 8, wear a 32H bra, and have a waist to hip ratio of about .72. I curve a lot ... but can't describe myself as curvy, or people get the wrong idea.

And when Marilyn Monroe was a size 10, clothing sizes were very different. Her 10 was equivalent to today's size 4.

</rant>

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
  • ScarletScarlet Category Moderator** Posts: 7,542

@HildaCorners
    This is not how we greet newcomers.  

You do not get to decide how others define themselves.  "Curvy" is a perfectly cromulent way to define one's own body.  Further, it is beyond rude to wrinkle your nose in distaste of other women's bodies--To say nothing of the flagrant hypocrisy when the person in question is barely bigger than you.  Even if there were a significant size disparity, it's really shitty to rant about how you don't want to be associated with someone's body type.  Body shaming is not okay, and particularly terrible to someone who is brand new here.  Please keep your body issues to yourself rather than push them on others. 
    Speak your truth. 
    SaigoTakamoriDorothy
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    edited September 21
    /rant @HildaCorners please stop perpetuating the myth that Marilyn Monroe was plus sized. I know I've posted links to you that show measurements from her actual garments, not the shifting and unreliable vanity "sizes" which shift every year. 

And if you can call yourself curvy, so can the OP, since you have no idea what she looks like.

http://themarilynmonroecollection.com/marilyn-monroe-true-size/

E.T.A. AAAAnd and I totally misread the Marilyn stuff. But the other stuff was catty and uncalled for.

"Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
  • ScarletScarlet Category Moderator** Posts: 7,542
    @Dorothy what a fun service!  Almost makes me wish I wore something other than scrubs.  
    Speak your truth. 
    Dorothy