The Arsenic Hour

HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
Since I mentioned "The Arsenic Hour" in another thread, I thought I'd give my reference here in Off Topic.
Between the nap and the twilight
When blood sugar is becoming lower,
Comes a pause in the day's occupations,
That is known as Arsenic Hour.
—Marguerite Kelly and Elia Parsons, The Mother's Almanac I, 1975

I first heard the term when I was a kid, and when I was the mom of small children, I fully understood the term.

I think there's more to the poem, but I couldn't find it online.

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH

Comments

• BeatriceBeatrice USAGold Women Posts: 1,175
    edited September 10
    My mom always called it "the bewitching hour".  I always thought it was because she seemed so much like a witch at that time.  Lol.  As a decades-longs children's ministry person, that is why I object to the 5:00 pm church services. But I like going to church at that time, so I flout the rules and do what I want with the kids.  That way we are all as happy as we can be considering our circumstances. :)
    We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us.  -Joseph Campbell
  • HowlAtTheMoonHowlAtTheMoon Silver Member Posts: 1,183
    I mostly avoid this by skipping afternoon naps and making everyone go to bed at 6:45pm. (Older one just has to be in his room, not necessarily sleeping.)
    HanneloreMrsJonTiger_Lilyfrillyfun
  • WinterWinter The Island of MisFit ToysGold Women Posts: 955
    I mostly avoid this by skipping afternoon naps and making everyone go to bed at 6:45pm. (Older one just has to be in his room, not necessarily sleeping.)
    That would be awesome!  Most of our kids are not even home at 6:45 most nights lol! 

HildaCornersRoses
  • HildaCornersHildaCorners Winter? You call *that* winter?Gold Women Posts: 3,377
    My oldest kid was always a night owl and poor sleeper. 6:45 to bed would have been impossible! I remember once when she was nearly 2, nursing her to sleep at midnight, hoping she would fall asleep soon so I could go back to my bed and fall asleep!

I found the Arsenic Hour the worst when my kids were in early elementary school ... especially when they had homework.

Things change ... today I came home from work at 5:30 to find my almost 16 year old taking a nap because he needed one. [He was 2 states away this past weekend at a dance, music and singing all-weekend event.]

Enneagram 5w4.  I'm researching what that means, before designing t-shirt art about it.

"I feel no shame in making lavish use of the strongest muscles, namely male ones (but my own strongest muscle is dedicated to the service of men - noblesse oblige). I don't begrudge men one whit of their natural advantages as long as they respect mine. I am not an unhappy pseudomale; I am female and like it that way." RAH
  • HanneloreHannelore MidwestSilver Member Posts: 330
    I read once about making around 5-6 (so not really sundown in the summer) the end of the day and the beginning of the next. So I put on music, have a drink (alcohol or caffeine, or not) and finish up the day's chores. Day's end

(Helps if all dinner prep is completed.)

So when dad comes home it's the beginning of the next day! Love it. Would be even more perfect if I got everyone to bed at 6:45, like @HowlAtTheMoon
    9w1/5w6 intp

MrsJonKattTiger_Lily
  • samsonsamson UKSilver Member Posts: 101
    Also known as the Long Dark Tea-time of the Soul 
    HildaCornersHanneloreTiger_Lily
  • Husband3point0Husband3point0 Gold Men Posts: 3,294
    In bed at 6:45?  Seriously?

We're going to sit down to eat dinner starting at 7:30 tonight. 
    RorschachWinter
  • HanneloreHannelore MidwestSilver Member Posts: 330
    I like the siesta traditions, too, in the warmer parts of the world. Afternoon nap, dinner at 8. 
    9w1/5w6 intp