The Sports Thread

167891012»

Comments

• r9stoner9stone MI, America's High FiveSilver Member Posts: 1,174
    Alright, I've had 24+ hours (and lots of Black Velvet) to decompress and review yesterday's loss to the gotdamned Buckeyes.

While I think Barrett was short on that 4th down play in OT I will give the zebras the benefit of doubt that in real time it was a very tough call. They do not however get a pass on the blatant non-call of pass interference on M's 3rd down in the 2nd OT, Stevie Wonder saw it. Sucks for your favorite team to outplay their rival that much and lose thanks to 2 really bad turnovers, and some very iffy calls. At least WMU won with ease........
    Tennee
  • r9stoner9stone MI, America's High FiveSilver Member Posts: 1,174
    Tired AF today after crawling into bed at 3:00 this morning, but it was worth it to see my team win last night. Great job boys, ROW THE BOAT!

20161202_224737.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 886K
    TenneeWinter
  • WinterWinter The Island of MisFit ToysGold Women Posts: 955
    @r9stone - Yeah!  I can actually claim a winning team as my own!  

Tenneer9stone
  • TenneeTennee Next Stop: AwesomevilleSilver Member Posts: 5,963
    Well, we got the "Season That Should Have Been Bowl" along with Nebraska; fitting for both teams.  The Music City Bowl is pretty decent and the CFP (they're the only one that matters since they pick the FBS teams) still has us ranked at 21.   I guess I'll take it.  Although SEC Country has dubbed it the 'Mulligan Bowl', which makes me laugh.  Then get mad. 

The quandary for the Vols, @rebuilding_husband is 'Fire him or not', and there's no way we'll do it this year.  I like Butch, he's gotten us back to relevancy, but he can't seem to close the deal and get us to the next level.   So we'll have a mediocre recruiting season, go 8-4 next year and get the SC Johnson Wax Scrubbing Bubbles Mediocre Bowl again.   Then we'll get really mad and finally fire him in 2018 and start all over. 

Sigh...

And @r9stone Enjoy it man.  Cause your man Fleck will get swiped in short order.  There are several like him - Brohm at WKU is another one - who will wake up one morning with a dump-truck full of money in their driveway. 
    "Fall down seven times, stand up eight"  Japanese Proverb

How will you live well today?
  • RebuildingHusbandRebuildingHusband Southern USASilver Member Posts: 1,953
    @Tennee here's an idea that I know your program isn't even stupid enough to pull off. Fire your coach, fail to conduct a national search, get publicly rejected by the two biggest candidates in the game, then hire your D-Line coach all the while claiming that he was the "only man for the job". 
    give a shit and try, or go be miserable by yourself - AlphaBelle
    Tennee
    @Tennee here's an idea that I know your program isn't even stupid enough to pull off. Fire your coach, fail to conduct a national search, get publicly rejected by the two biggest candidates in the game, then hire your D-Line coach all the while claiming that he was the "only man for the job". 
    Dude...no one is that stupid...

RebuildingHusband
    American football has been abysmal for my teams. English football, on the other hand, is shaping up nicely. Keep the blue flag flying high!
  • SaigoTakamoriSaigoTakamori FLSilver Member Posts: 3,075
    Sweat More...bitch less
    Fate favors the prepared.
    TenneeAngeline
    American football has been abysmal for my teams. English football, on the other hand, is shaping up nicely. Keep the blue flag flying high!
    Football, or Futbol?  :D

I was with a buddy once for lunch at an 'Irish Pub'.  The place was slammed at lunch - I mean SLAMMED with 'futbol' crazies.  It was like an SEC tailgate, but with fish and chips, Guinness, and bangers and mash.  And these guys/gals were absolutely insane.  I had no idea what was going on, what they were yelling about, or the rules.  I get the basics of soccer, pardon me, futbol, but I was completely lost.  But it didn't matter - the sheer atmosphere and energy in that place was a ton of fun.  I don't even know who was playing, it was an English game, broadcast live on satellite service. 

It was kinda like me watching UNC v. MD in the NCAA Men's lacrosse finals last year.  Except I was the only one in the bar screaming at the TV.  The one TV I had to arm-twist the manager to put on the game; everyone else was watching other sports. 

OK, it was nothing like that...

Anyway, its interesting the following that Futbol now has in the US - to the point that loads of people will cram certain places and go apeshit while screaming 'Arsenal!!!' or whatever. 

• samsonsamson UKSilver Member Posts: 101
    If you keep saying futbol I'm going to have to issue a declaration of war. 
    TenneeAngeline
    edited December 16
    samson said:
    If you keep saying futbol I'm going to have to issue a declaration of war. 
    OK, you win.  Soccer. 

Angeline
  • AngelineAngeline planting seedsCategory Moderator** Posts: 14,501
    The nutrient group of fans I ever witnessed at a bar were watching rugby. Nutbols.
    "Speak your truth." - Scarlet
    Remember to play!
    Do the right thing, whether anyone is watching or not.
    Be married, until you are not.

Email address: angeline.greenwood@att.net
    TenneeShepardBlackwulf
    There's a really good soccer bar down in New Orleans that gets pretty well packed for USA games, English Premier League, and big Champions League matches. 

The rules are much easier than football to understand. Their passion for professional sport rivals the most rabid college fan bases I've ever seen here in the US. The soccer "ultras" are essentially terrorist organizations draped in a soccer team flag. It's insane. They have people who are "banned for life" lists from stadiums over there. 
    TenneeAngeline
  • samsonsamson UKSilver Member Posts: 101
    Joking aside I sincerely hope that you guys don't get our European version of ultras.  People have been known to die. 
    RebuildingHusband
  • LL80LL80 USASilver Member Posts: 3,309
    Angeline said:
    The nutrient group of fans I ever witnessed at a bar were watching rugby. Nutbols.
    @Angeline I feel like I'm not the only one who needs this translated.
    Angeline
    Fuck me LMAO
    this damned phone
    Remember to play!

LL80KattTenneeRebuildingHusband
    Nutbol was supposed to be typed that way
    Nutrient = nuttiest 
    Remember to play!