Advice on exercise routine after recovery from back surgeries

monkeydogmonkeydog KansasSilver Member Posts: 415
So, I badly herniated my L5-S1 disc in January 2016, followed by a microdisectomy, then I reherniated and had a second surgery in April.

Been doing physical therapy 2X week, plus gym 2X week, plus 2X daily stretches and exercises.

I am getting some results, my main goals are:

1. Lose weight
2. Avoid injury
3. Strengthen to avoid future injury.
4. Look good naked

Here is my routine:

T - Th (Physical Therapy)

10 min backward treadmill
10 WITY (it's those weird rope things, 4 exercises X 10)
1 set 30 rows
1 set 30 adducter
1 set 30 abducter
5 min leg press
2 X 25 calf lift

2 other days (W,FR,SAT or SUN)

All machine for form and back safety:

3 X 10 curls
3 X 10 Bench Press
1 X 30 Tricep Press
1 X 30 Flys
1 X 30 shoulder pulls
1 X 30 Shrug
1 X 30 Calf extension
1 X 30  shoulder press or lat raises
20 min incline treadmill (longest I can do w/out back pain)

2 X Daily:
4 X cross ham stretch 15 sec
4 X leg raise/stretch 15 sec
1 X 30 pelvic tilt
1 X 30 pelvic rock
5 X 10 isotonic obliques
3 X 10 isotonic abs
4 X calf stretch 15 sec
1 X 30 calf raises

Thoughts? I am down 30 lbs since Xmas 2015, losing 1-3 lbs a week.

Tennee

Comments

• monkeydogmonkeydog KansasSilver Member Posts: 415
    I would love to hear it. The daily stretches and exercises are direct from pt, as well as the pt days (obviously).

i have been told:

1. No free weights yet.
    2. The 1x30 reps is taken from pt exercises, although I am mixing in a more normal 3x10 reps for curls and bench. No deadlifts or squats or any twisting or crunching. 
    3. I am allowed to try push-ups, but I have been nervous about back.
    4. Cardio is tough- 20 min is max and that is pushing it with back. 

i would really love some advice, which of course I will run by the pt. I think most of my success is diet, but I am seeing minor results in shoulders, arms , back and chest.

• LadyOrTheTygerLadyOrTheTyger EarthSilver Member Posts: 892
    edited September 13
    If you're losing 1-3 pounds a week, not getting injured, and seeing definition I wouldn't fiddle with it. 
    Lenny42andatowelTennee
    edited September 13
    Good point.

I read about all these dudes on here crushing compound lifts and getting ripped in 6 months....just wondering if there is a safe way I can do more, or if I could be getting more bang for my buck out of other exercises.

• LothbrokLothbrok vaSilver Member Posts: 310
    Well built men are made in the kitchen.   First order of business should be to lock down your diet and adjust as your goals change.

Let your docs know your interested in compound movments.  Wait until they give you the go ahead.  Then start slow.

6 month to get ripped is possible if you already have/had muscles but are just over weight.  Losing fat it easy compared to gaining muscle.  Takes a long time to gain muscle need to looked ripped.  Think about a pound a month is average so I would expect a good year or two of hard work.   Just want you to manage your expectations.  Of course there are people who seem to be easy gainers bUT they are not the norm.

Don't get me wrong after six months you will see results but you want to be in this for the long hual.
    RorschachLennySharkGuy
    Don't worry, I'm not going to push things until probably a year from now.

Any advice on fine tuning my machine workout or simulating compound lifted on machines?

I am doing the high rep stuff with no rest between sets
  • LothbrokLothbrok vaSilver Member Posts: 310
    I believe that have machines that simulate all the major lifts, but I am not sure about dead lifts.  If your stuck on machines I would focus on your tempo.  2.1.2. .  Example is on bench you take 2 seconds to lower weight.  Pause at bottom for 1 second then 2 on the way up.  

This will force you to use lighter weights but will give you a good pump.  Plus lighter weight means less risk of injury.
    Thanks. I try to be controlled, but this is helpful.

I don't see deadlifts or heavy squats for a year.

I am being extremely careful and I have been told it's going to be a year to recover.

Come to think of it, I probably should be a little more careful in the bedroom .... Yeah, not gonna happen.
  • LennyLenny AustraliaMember Posts: 123
    Agree with previous posters, you can't out train a bad diet.

Talk to your doc about kettle bells. I've had back pain all my life.  After working with kettle bells constantly this year, the knee pain, shoulder pain and back pain all seem to be going way. 

Also loosing weight & putting on 2" around the chest in 9 months.  I'm happy, the back is happy, I put it down to the kettle bell swing.
    edited September 15
    Diet is my focus.

Exercise is really more about making it a habit than anything else.

Looked at some kettle ball routines. I don't need to ask the pt to see that there is no way in hell I'm ready for that.

I don't see one exercise (including lifting them from the floor) that I am cleared to do.

It's going to be light weights and machines for me for a long time.

@monkeydog
    Have a look at Dan Johns website http://danjohn.net/ and search for the four quadrants of exercise.  Basically he maps out how to get from coach potato to athele.  What are some good exercises to do and some basics like, dont bother doing push up until you can how a plank for 30 sec.  I'm thinking the milestones might be what your after to focus on getting stronger where it counts to progress.  If your on machines & light weights so be it, do more sets / reps or reduce rests periods what ever it takes to make it a bit harder each time. Progress for me was slow, I had to re-adjust my expectations, i could not always add 5 more kg to the bar, I changed my thinking to need to add a rep / set or reduce rest by 10-15 sec.  This really helped me stay in a positive frame & it is increasing time under tension. Basically its what Arnie did. 

SharkGuy
    I will check it out, thanks!

I have been cleared to do more exercises, looking for advice to up my gains. I am

I am basically cleared for all weight machine exercises, except shoulder/military press, back extension -- basically anything that compresses the spine.

Cleared for body exercises as I can tolerate. Up to 25 min on inclined treadmill without pain.

Physical therapist has told me that I will should not do squats and deadlifts for the rest of my life, so many of the popular strength programs are out.

Right now he would prefer I use weight that I can do 30 reps -- I presume this is for safety. I am not following this rule with bench and curls, doing regular 3x10.

Looking to continue weight loss and build strength and tone and lose the man boobs.

@crashaxe I understand you're the expert on training with lower back injury, any advice?

• CrashaxeCrashaxe Partytown, which is wherever I am.Gold Men Posts: 1,243
    I'll come back and post more later, but overall, it sounds like you are doing the right things, in that you are following the instructions of the PT and Doc.

The exception is continuing to do 3X10's with your bench and curls, ESPECIALLY with the bench.

Everything is connected, and everything you do does have an impact on your spine. Even though you would think that bench is not a big deal since you are lying down, and curls aren't either since they are such light weight, you are in fact putting a significant eccentric load on your spine when you do those exercises, and disregarding the instructions you have been given is still going to have a direct negative, even if slow and cumulative, effect on your spine.

You have to live with your back for the rest of your life. You do not want to end up like me. 

Do what is recommended, don't do what is recommended against.

Bear in mind that I am hobbled up for life now, and I was cleared for full activity before I resumed lifting. The Docs and PT's don't know and can't predict everything. That said, follow their instructions that they do give you 100% as if it were brought to you on graven stone from Mt. Sinai, as those instructions are based upon what they do know about putting loads on the spine.

“I’m going to plead with you, do not cross us. Because if you do, the survivors will write about what we do here for 10,000 years.” General James Mattis, USMC

Angeline
  • CrashaxeCrashaxe Partytown, which is wherever I am.Gold Men Posts: 1,243
    And take the no squats and no deadlifts to heart. They will tear your spine up quickly.

“I’m going to plead with you, do not cross us. Because if you do, the survivors will write about what we do here for 10,000 years.” General James Mattis, USMC

Thank you so much for the advice.

Just to alleviate any concern on curl and bench.

Bench/chest prest is on a machine and is from a semi-inclined position. I am not lying flat on my back. I can't lie on my back w/out leg elevation or lie on stomach w/out pain. Curls are machine, seated concentration style, so form isn't an issue.

I told my PT what I was doing w/ bench and curls, he said it was OK. I am a year from free weights, if ever.

Cardio is a problem, but I am now up to 25 slow minutes on incline (incline takes pressure off back) treadmill.

What I want to do is build strength and not waste my time with low benefit exercise.

Here are the new exercises he has recommended:

1. Lunges
    2. Cleared for all machine leg (as of yesterday).
    3. Isontonic abs and obliques
    3. Push ups, planks, etc. if I can tolerate.
    4. Squats w/out weight.
    5. Rows (machine)

Not cleared:
    1. Free weights
    2. Kettle/medicine balls
    3. Squats, deadlift (forever)
    4. Pull ups

Diet: Discovered I was doing intermittent fasting (only eating fron 11-7). Bottom line is that what is working for me is well balanced diet with portion control. For example, tonight was pizza night. I had one piece.

I am losing about 2 lbs a week. Lost 5 lbs this week.
    AngelineCrashaxe
    The body weight squats and lunges will give you the best return on time for weight loss. Just try to keep in all in balance over a week. Push / pull Squat Hinge Some core Good news that your able to exercise more.